Elder Scrolls V anounced!

Darzin

Is the enemy scaling gone? That's all I give a shit about. It made Oblivion unplayable.

Well the scaling is gone IN dungeons, that's what I'm exactly sure of. Do not know about the creatures roaming the land, but the instances lock on level as per when you enter them.

I think it was said that the regular world doesn't scale with you, some areas are low level, some are high. For the dungeons, each has a range, say level 5-10, 15-20, etc. If you enter a level 5-10 at level 6 then it locks to level 6, even if you leave and return later. If you enter a low level dungeon at level 20 then it will be at the cap for that dungeon.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the scaling is gone IN dungeons, that's what I'm exactly sure of. Do not know about the creatures roaming the land, but the instances lock on level as per when you enter them.

So, those who want a free ride, can run around and enter each dungeon, locking them to low level? I hope their loot also locks to that level.

Seems like locking them to the level you are whenever and each time you enter them would have been a better system.

Fixed. Honestly, I haven't seen a well-done minigame since thief 3's lockpicking system. They detract from the rest of the game and are boring filler. Especially in rpgs that are stat-driven. ME2 was the worst offender of my recently played games.

I was about to post about how the security mini games in ME2 were OK, not really challenging once you got the hang of them, but at least not time consuming either. Then I remembered the mineral ones. So fucking tedious, especially for someone working for a cross between George Soros and Blackwater.

Seems like locking them to the level you are whenever and each time you enter them would have been a better system.

That was pretty much what Oblivion had though. Under this system you'd half-clear out a cave of rats at Level 2 only to come back at Level 40 to find some maniacs with high-level magic and glass armour had moved in.

Now, if the game was clever enough to provide a story reason for this ("Hey, we were looking for a base and then found this cave and someone had come in and cleared it out beforehand, score!") that would be one thing, but the way it worked in the game just felt random.

• 4 weeks later...
For a dragon, combat is debate. When it’s breathing fire at you, it’s talking at you in power-words, or Shouts. Your part in the discussion is to Shout back…

I thought the proper answer to a fire-breathing dragon was to shoot it...

I'm really excited though. I hope the Dark Brotherhood is as kickass as it was in the last game. Easily my favorite storyline in the game.

Anyone remember that quest that spoofed Lovecraft's "A Shadow Over Innsmouth"? I hope they do something like that again.

20 reasons to get excited about Skyrim.

Sounds promising. Dual-casting spells sounds like it could be cool. ]

Dual-casting?!?! I want it know!

But Skyrim should definitely be very good, Oblivion was amazing, here's to becoming the head of the Dark Brotherhood and the Mage's Guild again ;-p

I hope there'll be more in the way of faction rivalry like in Morrowind. I got sort of annoyed at being able to become the head of both the mage and the warrior's guild.

Still, it'll be awesome no matter.

• 1 month later...

I'm totally going to be running around Skyrim, shouting "I WILL CONSUME YOU!"

Dragons better watch out.

ETA: Also, read the article above that Wert linked.

6. For a dragon, combat is debate. When it’s breathing fire at you, it’s talking at you in power-words, or Shouts. Your part in the discussion is to Shout back…

I love this idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived