The Heroes - Spoiler Edition

Ski the Swift

I'm pretty sure no one actually saw Glustrod die either, so there's a possibility he's still hanging around somewhere too. Pretty sure Shenkt isn't one of those gods, though.

Finished this book last night. A great read from start to finish. I rooted for Calder despite what he did to Forley as he does seem to genuinely regret that act. And he stood up to Bethod, at least for a while. It would be nice if he hooked up with Jezal to work out a way to get both the Union and the North out of Bethod's control. Not likely though, sadly. Black Dow was a glorious bastard who died as he deserved, smashed in the back of the head by a man he underestimated and belittled throughout. I was glad to see some of Calder's work wasn't wasted. Also pleased that Shivers isn't one of Bethod's creatures. If anyone has the balls to smash the First of the Magi into kindling it would be Shivers.

Like many others, I tended to read through Tunny's POVs quickly, waiting for something to happen but it never did. He felt like a page-filler, though I'm hoping I'm proved wrong.

Shivers remains my favourite character over all five books. He's just so creepy and powerful, but at the same time there's another side to him that Craw saw. I can still see a shot at redemption coming his way. I fear for Monza, having an entire Union army headed her way, but while she has Shenkt with her, she has a chance. At least Sulfur won't be able to get near her.

Absolutely loved The Heroes. I can't seem to remember the previous books well enough after ready through this post and definitely going back for another read after I've finished WMF.

I thought the reference to Scale as Ironhand at the end of the book was a nice touch.

Great work Mr Abercrombie. Can't wait to see his take on a western.

She's a better general than anyone on the union side.

But the Union commands a larger army, and the Union can manage a long lasting war whereas Monza must retain control of a newly united Styria while fighting. She could win every battle and still lose as long as the Union has the resources to keep the war going strong I reckon.

Dunno, Khalul has lost a shit-ton of Eaters, I'd imagine it'd be a while before the Gurkish move again. If they do, Khalul himself might show up, so we end up with Bayaz/Sulfur vs. Khalul/Ishri.

Shivers remains my favourite character over all five books. He's just so creepy and powerful, but at the same time there's another side to him that Craw saw. I can still see a shot at redemption coming his way. I fear for Monza, having an entire Union army headed her way, but while she has Shenkt with her, she has a chance. At least Sulfur won't be able to get near her.

He's turned out pretty damn well for what at first felt like a logen clone. I know what you mean about there maybe being a shot at redemption for him but at the same time I almost hope he doesn't get the chance. Look what happened to him the last time he tried to make a better man of himself. Abercrombie is a cruel god to have writing your path.

The Union can't commit fully to Monza, they Gurkish are always present.

In fact, I believe that attacking Monza the Union is comitting a big mistake, since they give her no other option that join the Gurkish. THey are basically forcing a neutral player to take sides against them. I wonder what was the cripple thinking...

But the Union commands a larger army, and the Union can manage a long lasting war whereas Monza must retain control of a newly united Styria while fighting.

After Best Served Cold Styria wasn't left united. In fact it was deep in chaos after the poisoning of most of their leaders at Rogont's coronation. Monza was Duchess of Talins and Cosca wanted to press a claim as Duke of Visserine.

I don't have the Heroes right now, but didn't they say that they were going to join Sipani against Talins? Apparently Styria is amidst a bloody civil war, as usual.

Haha, I just watched Unforgiven for the first time a week or so ago, and Logen was exactly what it made me think of. :thumbsup:

(but, the point is, that was kind of his arc in the first trilogy, so to do it again would be rather redundant...)

Finished this book last night. A great read from start to finish. I rooted for Calder despite what he did to Forley as he does seem to genuinely regret that act. And he stood up to Bethod, at least for a while. It would be nice if he hooked up with Jezal to work out a way to get both the Union and the North out of Bethod's control. Not likely though, sadly. Black Dow was a glorious bastard who died as he deserved, smashed in the back of the head by a man he underestimated and belittled throughout. I was glad to see some of Calder's work wasn't wasted. Also pleased that Shivers isn't one of Bethod's creatures. If anyone has the balls to smash the First of the Magi into kindling it would be Shivers.

Didn't know Bethod was still alive and First of the Magi. Abercrombie is subtle indeed. ;)

But the Union commands a larger army, and the Union can manage a long lasting war whereas Monza must retain control of a newly united Styria while fighting. She could win every battle and still lose as long as the Union has the resources to keep the war going strong I reckon.

Oooh i see a Robb Stark parallel coming...

I'm pretty sure no one actually saw Glustrod die either, so there's a possibility he's still hanging around somewhere too. Pretty sure Shenkt isn't one of those gods, though.

If Glustrod survived the cataclysm at Auclus he presumably would've went through to the Other Side where he'd probably be tortured by the demons. If he comes back from that he'd be like a million times more badass version of Shivers.

:closes eyes, tiptoes into thread:

:tantrum:

My book shipped on Feb 9 and I still don't have it! The Book Depository has offered to replace it, which is cool, but I'm starved for reading material and I want it now! It's a bit frustrating that they don't seem to track delivery, they only confirm shipment. :(.

Unless she makes a pact with the uh, what are they called. The thinly veiled Muslim peeps.

Archived