Daniel Abraham's second thread

Werthead

Yep, The King's Blood is book 2 of The Dagger and the Coin, definitely. Abraham's made no particular secret of the title, and the title and an excerpt are in the back of the trade paperback of The Dragon's Path.

Speaking of which, I should start that very soon. I am anticipating with much glee.

I still have about 200 pages to go, but my impression is that

the Apostate is Master Kit, who I thought contributed relatively significantly to the story, especially for a non-POV character (aside from the prologue, of course).

I agree.

Notice how Master Kit is able to immediately tell when the actress is lying and inform Captain Wester. I don't know if it's just wisdom or if he possesses the "Righteous Servant"?

I agree.

Notice how Master Kit is able to immediately tell when the actress is lying and inform Captain Wester. I don't know if it's just wisdom or if he possesses the "Righteous Servant"?

Definitely the latter. Remember that the 'Righteous Servant' also conveys the ability to make people believe what you say absolutely. Kit does this on many occasions. Cithrin even asks him at one point why he always hedges about with 'I think' and 'I believe' and so on: that's why. It's dangerous for him to make definitive statements, because people will believe them. And that's why he deliberately says to her, 'you can do this'. From then on, she never doubts that she can.

And yes, I presume that's also why Kit is such a brilliant actor.

• 5 months later...

Just finished the book and as usual with Abraham's work, I am left questioning why I should even bother writing fantasy after reading something this good, this original, this intriguing. In the back of my mind, I had the correct guess for the Apostate but I was too taken with the rest of the story to think about it too much. The character of Geder is one of the finer creations here. His actions can be monstrous or disastrous, but yet he still has my sympathy. That's a dirty trick Mr. Abraham and I will get you for it.

Didn;t you guys here? Abraham doesn't count as real fantasy because people don't say fuck. It's obviously juvenile YA trash.

Took me a bit to figure this one out. You sleep typing again I think.

And on topic, um, still looking for copies of the long price omni's. About due for a reread.

Took me a bit to figure this one out. You sleep typing again I think.

And on topic, um, still looking for copies of the long price omni's. About due for a reread.

Yeah, I need to not post things late a t night before bed.

Hang tight for a few months, and they'll be easier to find. At least in the US. Tor's re-releasing the series in two omnibus editions titled the same as Orbit's UK versions. The first one -- Shadow and Betrayal -- should be out in the spring, the second -- Seasons of War -- will be out in the fall.

With King's Blood hitting shelf in summer, it's going to be dead interesting to see what happens with three Daniel Abraham titles coming out in the same year. They'll build on each other, kill each other, or not make any damn difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I jacked another thread just to mention the new Dragon's Path audiobook release, I thought I'd also post it here where the announcement belongs.

For any audio fans out there, The Dragon's Path was released at Audible on 11/04. I just started listening to it, and the narrator is doing a fine job so far. Oddly enough, this is the same guy (Pete Bradbury) who narrated The Warded Man and The Desert Spear.

And since we're on the subject -- I also listened to Leviathan Wakes recently, and enjoyed it very much. The narrator for that one, Jefferson Mays, also did a fine job.

• 2 months later...

I'm a bit lukewarm on Caliban's War (I loved the space politics and cop drama of Leviathan Wakes, but wasn't too big on the you-know-what in the second half), but I'm very much looking forward to King's Blood. I loved Dragon's Path, both because of Geder, Dawson, and Cithrin, and because I love it whenever a fantasy author makes trade and economics part of their story in a big way (such as banking). It's my second-most anticipated book of 2012, after (hopefully) The Unholy Consult.

With King's Blood hitting shelf in summer, it's going to be dead interesting to see what happens with three Daniel Abraham titles coming out in the same year. They'll build on each other, kill each other, or not make any damn difference.

Here's to them building on each other. I planned on reading Long Price this year myself, though I have the four books which have been staring at me for longer than I'd like to admit.

I have the four books which have been staring at me for longer than I'd like to admit.

same here....I really need to read them.

heck, I even had Daniel sign them when I met him last year.

anyone know if price of spring (not the omnibus) is due to be released in paper?

I'm pretty comfortable saying this isn't something Tor is interested in doing. With the new omnibus editions coming out, a mass market Price of Spring isn't in the cards. I wish it hadn't come down this way, and I have no power over it.

Archived