Exercise & Fitness

Greywolf2375

Took the arms and shoulders P90x workout to the weight room today. No video, just the log and my iPod. It went much better - I don't like the bands a whole lot, and having my own music keeps me energized and motivated to keep working.

Been a rough last few weeks. I haven't been able to stick with my running schedule at all. I've barely gotten my long runs in. Vacation, sinus infection, the heat/humidity and now just straight up loss of motivation. :worried:

I'm going to bed now and I've set my alarum (as GRRM would say) for 5 a.m. trying to get back on track. My half-marathon is in 7 weeks.

My second toenail has fallen off. Well, it's fallen off on both toes, it's just that the final one has now fallen off.

Yes, I just bought larger sized running shoes ;)

ETA - if you see my feet at WorldCon, you might wonder, "hey, I thought she said her toenail fell off - but look, it's painted!"

There's a lot they can do with nail polish ;)

It freaked me out a bit the first time I lost a toenail (from running as well). Also was pretty gross. Came as a surprise since the nail wasn't that discolored. I thought it was just slight bruising under the nail, until it started getting loose and eventually peeled off. Think it took about 2-3 months for it to grow back.

My second toenail has fallen off. Well, it's fallen off on both toes, it's just that the final one has now fallen off.

Congrats on being a "real runner" :thumbsup:

Chats, alg, Ep - do you wear a hydration belt on your long runs? I've been wearing mine and I now I'm experiencing emergency potty breaks where I didn't prior. I can't tell if it's this or on-going effects of anti-biotics from sinus infection. Advice/input appreciated. :)

Chats, alg, Ep - do you wear a hydration belt on your long runs? I've been wearing mine and I now I'm experiencing emergency potty breaks where I didn't prior. I can't tell if it's this or on-going effects of anti-biotics from sinus infection. Advice/input appreciated. :)

Unless you're really chugging, you're probably not overhydrating. It's not actually that easy to overhydrate. However, if you were used to being in a state of minor dehydration, it can take your bladder some time to adjust. Between that and the medicine, give yourself a few weeks to get used to it before deciding to cut back.

With that said, I almost never drink while I'm running. But I'm not that interested in more than a half marathon, which is about when I stop being able to work on speed and just have to chug through the miles. I've taken a camelbak that I use for hiking a few times, but if I were regularly going to go more than 13 miles right now, I'd try to do many of my runs on a 3 mile trail loop where I could leave water by the start and get a drink every time I came through.

For anything longer than 7 miles I take a hydration belt, because that's about an hour of running. I really like it, it fits well and doesn't weigh much. Anything over 75 degrees I'm shedding water.

I agree with Eponine, its really hard to over-hydrate. Chat's quoted article seems in line with my own experience.

As for potty breaks, that doesn't happen to me much. But if it does, just find a place, go, and enjoy the forced rest your body is telling you to take!

My friend's mom ran Chicago marathon in 2004 with us and and got hyponatremia (water intoxication) and had to go to the hospital afterward (this is after she ran a 3:53). Here's a link to a PDF of an article she wrote about it. (she's pretty hard-core, a grandma who's ran Boston several times!) Starts on pg 5 and jumps to pg 11.

ETA: perhaps the link doesn't work because its a PDF download? Anyway, point is, its very, very hard to over-hydrate

it's test day for week six of my hundred pushups (&tc) program. this morning I only really had time for the pushups exhaustion test. My form was absolute shit, I'd be lucky if I were being judged to have half of the pushups counted. But I endured and knocked out an even hundred pushups. I got to fifty without pausing (which shocked me more than making the 100 I think), and then paused, took a couple breaths and knocked out twenty more, puased, took a couple breaths then knocked out a couple more. after a final pause, I pushed through the last ten. The final three were toughest, but I bet I could have gotten another two if I'd tried for it. I feel about 60/40 like I actually did 100 pushups. I think I'll continue working on it, perhaps another 6 weeks of just pushups, but I'm going to be extremely strict about full depth for every rep or it doesn't count. Now that I've built up base endurance I feel like I actually can do a real 100 pushups. :) I dunno what's the best way to do pushups, elbows out (chest oriented), elbows in (tricep oriented), Nose-to-the-ground?, Chest to the ground? Hands off the floor at the bottom?, something to raise the hand surface to get greater depth? time to do some research I suppose.

so I do not run: I hate runnng with a passion but I have discovered this summer since my new condo has a pool that I fucking LOVE swimming. have been swimming almost every single day this summer. I have abs again!!!!! it is awesome!!!!

so I do not run: I hate runnng with a passion but I have discovered this summer since my new condo has a pool that I fucking LOVE swimming. have been swimming almost every single day this summer. I have abs again!!!!! it is awesome!!!!

Swimming is fucking awesome. I'd kill to have easy access to a lap pool!

Have discovered that Chataya + caffeinated goo = a quick trip to the ladies' room.

Thanks goodness, my running partner was also affected the same way, so I neither of us were terribly embarrassed about having to stop in at the closest McDonald's.

I sympathize. Yesterday I ate a Chipotle burrito 20 minutes before a hot 10 mile run, and by the end I was miserable but since it was out and back, couldn't stop running. I had to go to the doctor's office between lunch and running, and I was expecting it to take much longer so that I'd have time to digest. As soon as I ate lunch today, I felt nauseated again, but I don't know if it's because my digestive system got so fucked up yesterday.

I hate swimming. The only water that I want touching me is in my shower.

Ran 11.5 miles yesterday. Felt like a runner again. I've been experimenting with GU and other gels, didn't consider that might be part of my issues. I'm really starting to get excited about my race. I know I can run 13.1 so now I can just focus on building strength and speed.

Ran 11.5 miles yesterday. Felt like a runner again. I've been experimenting with GU and other gels, didn't consider that might be part of my issues. I'm really starting to get excited about my race. I know I can run 13.1 so now I can just focus on building strength and speed.

Nice work man!

I did 15 miles this Saturday. Was comfortably running 10:30 a mile and then the sun came up blazing and I started feeling like crap.

So I ran home, changed into fresh running clothes, ran a half mile to my gym, and finished the last 3.5 miles on the treadmill.

Which, I think I made the smart decision on, but due to all the pausing and back and forth, finished with a running time of like 12 minutes per mile. Meh.

Lap swimming today.

Recovery week for P90x this week. I have been bad with eating. It's been pretty difficult to push to 2k calories a day on clean food and I've cheated a little just to get the calories up. On days when I eat "normally" I get about 1300-1600 max in - yikes! I'm trying to eat more.

When I started my resting heart rate was 87, and that was taken fairly early in the morning. I just took my resting HR right now and it's at 84, so that is a welcome result. I gave up stepping on the scale after a while. Eventually I'll step back onto it.

PS: Still can't do one goddamned pullup.

Ran a 5k today on top of 50 strict pullups and a 100 hand release pushups. (Severin Hero WOD) I hate running.

Then I pushed a prowler with 450lbs of plates on it for 100 meter 'sprints.' Then I threw car tires behind my back. That is my new favorite exercise.

Oh, and I am back on strict Paleo, but I will probably sway a bit in Reno.

Yay!!! Are you entered in any of the Labor Day 10k's that seem to pop up around this time of year?

My half is on Sept. 17. I'm not planning to run any other races until after that. I'll run a Halloween 5K with friends and maybe a Thanksgiving run. I'll be in Chicago this weekend and was thinking of running the Champions 10K but my whole extended family will be in town so it'll be hard to squeeze that in. Also not too excited about the $50 extrance fee. A nice long run on the lakeshore early morning sounds great.

Alg - any interest in meeting up for easy 12 miles Saturday morning? My brother lives at Foster/Sheridan.

Ran a 5k today on top of 50 strict pullups and a 100 hand release pushups. (Severin Hero WOD) I hate running.

Then I pushed a prowler with 450lbs of plates on it for 100 meter 'sprints.' Then I threw car tires behind my back. That is my new favorite exercise.

Oh, and I am back on strict Paleo, but I will probably sway a bit in Reno.

Yay!! That's great, Stego.

I want to try those prowler pushes -- we have a rig like that the gym, but I think you need to have a trainer to get access. (or they store it somewhere I haven't found yet).

Archived