Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Like Vhagar, I'll try to be there, but no promises. Would like to go since it's so close and I've missed the last few cons. Life's just a little too unpredictable right now. If I do make it, it'll probably be only for a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the culinary crawls involve better fare than hotdogs and pizza?

So far the list includes at least one of Rick Bayless' restaurants -- probably Frontera -- and real chicago style Pizza. probably add 2 places from Diners Drive-ins and Dives or Man vs. Food. and 1 more fancy place. Sadly, there will be no portable wine cellar this time.

boiled leather, make your reservation for Frontera Grill/Topolobampo far in advance. I love Frontera, and my husband tried to get reservations for Valentine's Day or that weekend. We were able to get reservations for Topolo on a Tuesday night at the end of March.

You actually can't make reservations for Frontera Grill - you just go there and put your name down on the evening off and hope you don't have to wait for hours. Tuesday and Wednesday weeknights are generally your best bet. Or the secret is to go on a weekday and eat at the bar - you generally have no waiting for that. Topolobampo is pricier but has the advantage of taking reservations. Absolutely call 3 months in advance to get a reservation. Especially since its Labor Day weekend and lots of added tourists in the city that weekend.

Boiled Leather, let me know what other restaurants you are interested in and I'll be sure to include them in the Restaurant section of my Chicago post.

PEOPLE! (This means you, Space Bandito, and all the others who have just purchased their membership)

The Hugo Nominations are due tonight! This is important! Please fill out the nomination ballot. You should have gotten a pin and ID number by email.

If you don't know what to nominate, we have a list of recommended stuff in the Literature Forum.

If you have not yet nominated, please help me in my personal quest to get a Supernatural episode (The French Mistake) nominated for a Hugo for the first time!

Archived