Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Angalin - I try to book a quiet floor in the party hotel. I am an extremely light sleeper. I may stay up all night... but I might not. And when I want to sleep... I want to sleep. I couldn't get into the party hotel in Denver and it was a pain to have to get someone to walk with me to another hotel in the middle of the dang night. (Thanks, Fenryng!) So my recommendation is book at the party hotel and get a quiet room if you actually want to be able to sleep.

And also: YAY!!!

Those of you who've conned before: how much difference in there in noise between a party floor and a non-party floor?

Depends on the con, but in the past it has been significant. That said, even quiet floors are not quiet if you're stuck next to someone who doesn't know the term "inside voice."

Depends on the con, but in the past it has been significant. That said, even quiet floors are not quiet if you're stuck next to someone who doesn't know the term "inside voice."

:blush: Party floor it is, then.

eta: thanks for the advice!

I've booked a room for 4 on the party floor from Wed 29 to check out on Mon 3. Anyone interested in rooming please get in touch via PM.

I would have booked longer but it seems there are no rooms available on Tues 28 August for some bizaare reason. The room rate starts on 21 August and goes through till 10 September but that one day in the middle is not available. Either its a mistake in the system or something other than Worldcon is going on that day which has taken up all the rooms. Means I will need to find a different hotel from Sat to Tues. Most irritating.

Flights also booked :)

I would have booked longer but it seems there are no rooms available on Tues 28 August for some bizaare reason. The room rate starts on 21 August and goes through till 10 September but that one day in the middle is not available. Either its a mistake in the system or something other than Worldcon is going on that day which has taken up all the rooms. Means I will need to find a different hotel from Sat to Tues. Most irritating.

I had this problem too, I ended up just doing a separate booking for the 28th in a 'deluxe' room ($35ish more) and then normal room from 29 august to 5/6 september. Definitely irritating.

That would be one mad party house!

I booked a quiet room from 27th to 4th. Just out of curiosity I then checked the party floor availability and not only didn't it have rooms for those dates, when I shortened the stay it also didn't have as much choice, just the standard rooms. If you choose quiet you have the option of paying more for bigger room/more amenities/breakfast/internet/etc if that's what you want.

If you choose quiet you have the option of paying more for bigger room/more amenities/breakfast/internet/etc if that's what you want.

But why can you only get breakfast for one person??

And you have to choose between breakfast OR internet. :tantrum: (Well, I'm amused in a slightly shaking my head in bewilderment and mild exasperation way!)

Breakfast OR internet...

gah!

Unsure if the internet would cover everybody or just one, either. This hotel is strange only offering upgrades which are likely to cause arguments between the room denizens! Oh, and if you have reserved a king size room, the 'upgrade' which gives you the breakfast or internet downgrades your bed to queensize. :/

ETA: On the positive side, the special Con rate seems to cover more than just three days before and after the Con.

• 2 weeks later...

I've booked a room for 4 on the party floor from Wed 29 to check out on Mon 3. Anyone interested in rooming please get in touch via PM.

Flights also booked :)

If you contact the Chicon hotel liaison (sometimes known as the innkeeper), he or she may be able to sort it out before the con. This happened to me in Denver where I started out with 3 different reservations, going back and forth between hotels. They consolidated all my reservations and got me into the party hotel for the entire con. Good luck.

If you contact the Chicon hotel liaison (sometimes known as the innkeeper), he or she may be able to sort it out before the con. This happened to me in Denver where I started out with 3 different reservations, going back and forth between hotels. They consolidated all my reservations and got me into the party hotel for the entire con. Good luck.

Where in the hell are they known as an 'innkeeper'?

Boom! Tickets are bought. And holy shit, the hotel is expensive.

All: should we be doing a better job pimping this out up in the ASOIF Novel/Show threads? Most of the folks going seem to be the GC homies (which i have no issue with.. those people up north are odd), and i don't want everyone up there to miss out on the fun.

Archived