Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Yep, we're hoping to have another Meet&Greet this year on Thursday evening. It's a very efficient way to put faces to names, especially when many BwB activities at cons are rather "accretionary," in that a couple of BwB are hanging around in some public area...and then other BwBers start gathering, and then there are 20 people all headed off to the bar together. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie question concerning Hugo voting: what am I supposed to enter into the little boxes in front of the titles? :idea:

Aly, the boxes in front of the titles are for your rankings. So, for instance, if you want to vote ADWD for best novel, you'll put in a "1" as your first choice. Then a "2" for your second choice and so on. Some people only vote on a few and leave the rest blank. I try to give each entry a vote if I can, though to be honest I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

I will be at Worldcon this year, hope to see as many of the Aussiecon people I met as possible.

That is all for now.

Jebus be with you.

A pleasant surprise. Where've you been Jebus :) If all things go to plan then I'll be attending this year.

My login was screwed up. Good to be back, though I doubt I'll post much, and really looking forward to WorldCon.

It'll be great to see you there.

Chicon 7 has just announced [link to press release]

Spectacular Opening Under the Stars at the Adler Planetarium

On Thursday, August 30, Chicon 7 will be taking over the Adler Planetarium for an evening reception for convention members. This exclusive event will run from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m., during which time the museum will be closed to the general public.

During the reception, Chicon members can view the museum exhibits. In addition, the Grainger Sky Theater will be running the show "The Searcher" every 30 minutes. This show was written by Nick Sagan (son of astronomer Carl Sagan) and follows the story of a visitor from another galaxy as he searches for his lost civilization. It features stunning visualizations of the formation of our universe, the collision of galaxies, a spectacular supernova explosion, and a supermassive black hole. (Seating in the theater is limited, so there will be a $5 charge for admission to this performance.) Weather permitting, the museum will also host a sky-viewing session on its exterior deck, with telescopes and docents provided to members so they can see the wonders waiting in the night sky.

Museum campus parking will be available, and shuttle buses will run between the Adler Planetarium and the Hyatt Regency throughout the evening.

I first heard the plan for this at SMOFcon in December but we could not say anything because it was dependent on having enough people buying memberships to make the budget work otherwise this would be the first thing cut. So not only great news to hear that this awesome event is going ahead but this is also a really good indicator that there will be a good attendance at Worldcon.

Let's hope for clear skies that night and a great evening playing with all the gadgets at the Planetarium.

Aly, the boxes in front of the titles are for your rankings. So, for instance, if you want to vote ADWD for best novel, you'll put in a "1" as your first choice. Then a "2" for your second choice and so on. Some people only vote on a few and leave the rest blank. I try to give each entry a vote if I can, though to be honest I'm not sure how much difference it makes.

Your preferences do make a difference. If no one wins in the first round, the lowest vote getter is whacked, and the votes are redistributed based on second rankings. It often happens that the person who gets the most votes during the first round isn't the ultimate winner.

Here, kitteh explains it all to you :->

For those of you who have made your hotel reservations, are you all booking at the Hyatt Regency Chicago? They don't even HAVE A POOOL!! damn...

They might not have a pool but those of you who have attended previous Worldcons will be pleased to know that this is the one of the few remaining sites in the country that can host the entire Worldcon under one roof - no hiking to a convention center!

Anyone know if there's a big event on the Saturday night (1st September)? I've got possible plans to go see a band that night and want to ensure I don't miss anything...

Archived