Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

Alytha, There are tons of things to see and do in and around Chicago and the surrounding Midwest. I'm putting together a post with such information.

Angalin, The con takes place over Labor Day weekend. Chicago was insanely crowded with tourists this past Labor Day weekend. While there are a lot of hotel options I suspect whatever might be left at the last moment won't be at a bargain rate. But you never know.

Angalin, The con takes place over Labor Day weekend. Chicago was insanely crowded with tourists this past Labor Day weekend. While there are a lot of hotel options I suspect whatever might be left at the last moment won't be at a bargain rate. But you never know.

I might book provisionally then cancel if I have to, on the basis that the hotel will likely not have problems filling the room. I'm assuming that nothing too exciting happens at the con on Thursday or Sunday, other than random shenanigans?

Well I've only been to one con & Thursday was a full schedule plus dinner with GRRM. Sunday as well as most of Monday had some good panels with GRRM featuring late on Monday afternoon, also the Hugos were on Sunday night and I think they will be in Chicago as well.

Does anyone know yet how long they're going to be in Chicago or thereabouts before or after the Con, and what they would like to do there? I'm currently tentatively planning 2 days before and after the con, but I've no idea what to do there yet.

Well all I know so far is I'd like to visit the plan-eh-AIR-ium and also the natural history museum to see the T-Rex skeleton. And also maybe a jazz or blues club.

Eagerly await lady narcissa's all-about-Chicago post :)

Does anyone know yet how long they're going to be in Chicago or thereabouts before or after the Con, and what they would like to do there?

I'm currently tentatively planning 2 days before and after the con, but I've no idea what to do there yet.

I originally wanted to arrive one day before and leave one day later. But I may be convinced to arrive sooner and stay longer. ;)

Btw, I'll be offline from January 14 to god knows when due to my move. If you would be so kind as to book a room for us?! I would even be prepared to share the room with a third person.

I can be reached by my gmx email address.

It's a bit hard to decide because it's soo long to go...

Could we agree on arriving on day before and leaving 2 days after? ;)

I'll keep an eye on hotels. Any other preferences?

It's a bit hard to decide because it's soo long to go...

Could we agree on arriving on day before and leaving 2 days after? ;)

I'll keep an eye on hotels. Any other preferences?

That would be ok as well. :)

If not the con hotel, then not too far away from it. ;)

And maybe , if possible, including breakfast. :)

It's been way too long since I've stopped by here. Excuse my absence. I'm already building up my excitement for Chicon though, and I'll definitely be coming early and leaving late. I've never been to Chicago! Can't wait to check it out. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know yet how long they're going to be in Chicago or thereabouts before or after the Con, and what they would like to do there?

I'm currently tentatively planning 2 days before and after the con, but I've no idea what to do there yet.

we are arriving the night of the 30th and flying out on the 6th. we factored in a half day of sight seeing on the 3rd (going from limited con experience with the last day being a pack up/farewell day), full day on the 4th and 5th. No shortage of things to do in that small period!

FYI - if you are staying at the con hotel the special rate only applies 3 days pre and post con depending on availability.

Just in case none has answered your question about catching a Bears game while in Chicago.

Haven't seen the 2012 schedule yet, and of course many of those games won't be scheduled until the season is over. The actual season may not have even started by the time WorldCon is over, so a Bears game might be an final pre-season exhibition game, if they are actually playing in Chicago. But given all that, the NFL offers a ticket exchange from their site, as do the individual teams.One of George's BiL's has season tickets to the Jets, and he exchanges them for other seats or multiple seats when we come into town and want to see a game. Both these options will probably get you a better seats at a better price than a ticket service or scalper.

As others have said, getting tickets for George's alma mater, Northwestern, would probably be easy. Yes, NW doesn't have a powerhouse football program, but their student athletes do actually get a decent education while at NW. You never hear of a former NW athlete coming out at the age of 30 admitting that they are functionally illiterate, as so many players from powerhouse football programs have done so in the past.

Here's to you having great trip,some great experiences on the road and any games you see, and of course, at WorldCon itself. The Chicago site is a wonderful combination of hotels, restaurants and convention center all in one easy to access space.

Don't forget you have nominating and voting privileges for this year's Hugo awards!

Thanks so much for your advice and well wishes Parris :)

We decided to take yours and Lady N's advice and head to a college game. We are currently sourcing tix through stub hub for LSU vs Washington on the 8th...incidentally our travel agents husband is a gridiron coach here in Sydney and they have just gotten back from a trip to the USA where they caught a couple of games. She affirmed what you guys have said and was really enthusiastic about the game atmosphere - enjoyed more than the pro.

We're trying to keep the rest of our itinerary loose-ish to catch a pro game as well (we will be traversing through a couple of states so fingers crossed!), but i am sure even if in the end all we do is head to a pub and join in with the locals it will still be a fantastic experience!

we are arriving the night of the 30th and flying out on the 6th. we factored in a half day of sight seeing on the 3rd (going from limited con experience with the last day being a pack up/farewell day), full day on the 4th and 5th. No shortage of things to do in that small period!

FYI - if you are staying at the con hotel the special rate only applies 3 days pre and post con depending on availability.

I'm flying in 28th but haven't decided when I'm leaving yet, probably 2 or 3 days after the con. At the moment I plan on mostly just eating my way across chicago since I recently watched the chicago episode of 'no reservations' :)

Well all I know so far is I'd like to visit the plan-eh-AIR-ium and also the natural history museum to see the T-Rex skeleton. And also maybe a jazz or blues club.

Eagerly await lady narcissa's all-about-Chicago post :)

I have started a separate thread on this. I hope to add the things to do section soon!

I booked my hotel. Wednesday - Tuesday. That is the longest possible stay I can get away with. I may have to trim a day or two off either end, but I will deal with that if it works out that way. For now, though, I am one happy con-goer! WooHoo!! Only 227 days to go!!! :D

Archived