Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

silly question on con memberships. we have to buy "new" right, even though we bought "new" when we went to Renovation. I'm not sure what i'd convert, but If I can save I would. gracias.

Yes. You have to buy a new membership.

The conversion option are for those that have already joined Chicon in some other fashion previously (i.e. a supporting membership, which allows you to vote in the Hugos and "support" the con with money but doesn't give you the right to go to the con).

• 2 weeks later...

Is it only necessary to purchase a membership, no additional registration fee? And it looks like one membership per attendee?

I am tentatively planning to go with my dad (we're talking about driving to Chicago) but won't be purchasing memberships or making any travel arrangements until Jan/Feb.

Is it only necessary to purchase a membership, no additional registration fee? And it looks like one membership per attendee?

I am tentatively planning to go with my dad (we're talking about driving to Chicago) but won't be purchasing memberships or making any travel arrangements until Jan/Feb.

Yup. You just need one membership per attendee. No additional fees will apply to join the convention. Leaving your planning till the New Year should be fine. Hotels will go on sale in Jan, so worth keeping an eye on that though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got my membership this morning. Who's going?

Here's a link to the con site:

http://www.chicon.org/

Attending

Stego

Prince Lodey

Itisknown (from Chicago)

Lord Jo

Jamie

Hedgerow

Peterbound

Morningsword

Adz of CCAA

Ghost's Companion

Mich

fitheach

Dragons Dancing

Fenryng

Regina

Plurie

Suzette (from Chicago)

X-ray

Mr. X

Smegma (From Chicago)

Kat

Jaxom (From Chicago)

Frisco

Lord Mountain Goat

Bling

Curlz

Ser Scot

Malt

Stormborn +1

Aoife Trevgaryen

Stubby

laoise

Neal

Lady Narcissa (Wild Thing from Chicago)

Bastard of Godsgrace

Mormont

LacyinTX

Tycho

Lord Dracarys

Makotohanabi

Arlington Bill

Alguien (from Chicago)

Beniowa

Blackfyre

Peadar

Rex Tyrannius

Lady with Ink

Probable

Coyote's Daughter

RaceBannon

Greywolf2375 +1

Mouse (From Chicago)

MinDonner

I'intello (From Chicago)

Lucky Pierre

Alytha

Sophelia

Mentat

Alexia

hey folks! tossing up between here and the nfl thread....but fingers crossed!

we are hoping to head to a college and pro nfl (pref detroit vs....) match after the con...would anyone be able to let me know what sort of chance we would have of catching one of those games? we would be making our way from chicago to new york in a rental, with intent of stopping wherever we had to for a game along the way....

and that said, when tixs for the games go on sale?

hey folks! tossing up between here and the nfl thread....but fingers crossed!

we are hoping to head to a college and pro nfl (pref detroit vs....) match after the con...would anyone be able to let me know what sort of chance we would have of catching one of those games? we would be making our way from chicago to new york in a rental, with intent of stopping wherever we had to for a game along the way....

and that said, when tixs for the games go on sale?

I don't know about Detroit, but the Chicago Bears individual tickets seem to go on sale at the end of July. Or at least that is when they went on sale this year for the current season:

http://www.chicagobears.com/tickets/IndividualGameTickets.asp

I'm going to assume that is probably the time when most teams put up whatever remaining tickets haven't been sold through season tickets. Depending on what the season schedule is, the Bears might have a game in Chicago when you are here. Individual tickets are pretty hard to get direct from the team, however, as most of them are taken up by season ticket holders and very few are released for individual sale. You would probably have to go through a ticket broker. It might be much easier to get a ticket to a Detroit game or another NFL city in between Chicago and New York.

As for college football games, it would greatly vary from team to team. From what I have heard, it would be no problem to walk up on the day of a game and purchase a ticket to see the Northwestern football team (GRRM's alma mater) play if they have a game on when you are in Chicago. (NU is in a suburb to the north of Chicago and easily reached on public transportation.) However, getting a ticket for a game at Notre Dame would probably be next to impossible unless you know someone who goes/went there who could get you a ticket.

Is it too early to start planning a gastronomic crawl through the windy city?

Definitely not, count me in for a gastro crawl. I plan on being in Chicago a few days pre and maybe post con so I'm keen to see a lot of the city.

Archived