Chicon 7 Aug. 30-sept. 4 2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know about Detroit, but the Chicago Bears individual tickets seem to go on sale at the end of July. Or at least that is when they went on sale this year for the current season:

http://www.chicagobe...GameTickets.asp

I'm going to assume that is probably the time when most teams put up whatever remaining tickets haven't been sold through season tickets. Depending on what the season schedule is, the Bears might have a game in Chicago when you are here. Individual tickets are pretty hard to get direct from the team, however, as most of them are taken up by season ticket holders and very few are released for individual sale. You would probably have to go through a ticket broker. It might be much easier to get a ticket to a Detroit game or another NFL city in between Chicago and New York.

As for college football games, it would greatly vary from team to team. From what I have heard, it would be no problem to walk up on the day of a game and purchase a ticket to see the Northwestern football team (GRRM's alma mater) play if they have a game on when you are in Chicago. (NU is in a suburb to the north of Chicago and easily reached on public transportation.) However, getting a ticket for a game at Notre Dame would probably be next to impossible unless you know someone who goes/went there who could get you a ticket.

massive massive belated thanks lady n :) that gives us a couple of things to work off :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

I've been watching the Chicon7 website and they've announced that they've negotiated the room rate for the con now and that reservations will start this month. Does anyone know when in January reservations will start and do we (as the BWB) need to make reservations with Chicon for our party suite?

BR,

I really hope you can make it.

:)

hey folks! tossing up between here and the nfl thread....but fingers crossed!

we are hoping to head to a college and pro nfl (pref detroit vs....) match after the con...would anyone be able to let me know what sort of chance we would have of catching one of those games? we would be making our way from chicago to new york in a rental, with intent of stopping wherever we had to for a game along the way....

and that said, when tixs for the games go on sale?

Just in case none has answered your question about catching a Bears game while in Chicago.

Haven't seen the 2012 schedule yet, and of course many of those games won't be scheduled until the season is over. The actual season may not have even started by the time WorldCon is over, so a Bears game might be an final pre-season exhibition game, if they are actually playing in Chicago. But given all that, the NFL offers a ticket exchange from their site, as do the individual teams.One of George's BiL's has season tickets to the Jets, and he exchanges them for other seats or multiple seats when we come into town and want to see a game. Both these options will probably get you a better seats at a better price than a ticket service or scalper.

As others have said, getting tickets for George's alma mater, Northwestern, would probably be easy. Yes, NW doesn't have a powerhouse football program, but their student athletes do actually get a decent education while at NW. You never hear of a former NW athlete coming out at the age of 30 admitting that they are functionally illiterate, as so many players from powerhouse football programs have done so in the past.

Here's to you having great trip,some great experiences on the road and any games you see, and of course, at WorldCon itself. The Chicago site is a wonderful combination of hotels, restaurants and convention center all in one easy to access space.

Don't forget you have nominating and voting privileges for this year's Hugo awards!

The Hotel page on the Chicon7 site has been updated. https://chicon.org/hotel.php

Reservations for the dates of Chicon 7 will be available on January 16, 2012. We're using the Hyatt Regency Chicago for all of our hotel rooms and function space. We have a block of 1,800 rooms available to members as well as all 228,000 square feet of function space. The function space includes the Regency, Crystal, and Plaza ballrooms, the Riverside Exhibition Center, and 63 meeting rooms. Free Internet access will be available in the Exhibit Hall and meeting rooms.

The sleeping rooms have recently been renovated and upgraded, including 37" plasma TVs. Room rates are $145 plus tax (currently 15.4%) for single through quad occupancy. These rates are good for the official convention dates and 3 days before and after based on availability. Reduced rates are available for suites (see the Parties & Suites page), which will need to be reserved through the committee. The hotel has 119 suites.

More information will be posted by Friday, Jan 6, 2012.

Hotel Rooms

A few general points:

• Rollaway beds have a one-time charge of $20, based on availability. Check-in time is 3 p.m., checkout is noon.
  • Late checkout is 3 p.m. on Monday, September 3, and 2 p.m. on other days. (Availability will vary, depending on their cleaning requirements to suit incoming guests).
  • The hotel has 103 handicapped accessible rooms, which must be requested when you make your reservation.
  • You will be asked whether you want a room in the party area or non-party area. Convention staff are encouraged to book their rooms in the party area to help reduce potential noise complaints. We encourage those who like to go to parties, those who want to help out their fellow fen, and those who are affiliated with a party group to request rooms on a party floor. Limitations on the number of party suites people can request typically come from a shortage of people willing to be on party floors. So, if you want more parties at Chicon 7, please help by taking a room on a party floor.
  • Hotel rooms are in two towers (East and West). Party floors are in the East Tower in some upper floors.
  • Function space is below the East and West towers.
  • The reservations cutoff is August 10, 2012. (The convention rate will apply after that date as well, but rooms will be released to general sale.)
  • Only "service animals" (okay, or humans) are allowed to stay with hotel guests — please note a request for service animal accommodation when you make your reservation. Other pets are not allowed on hotel property.

A 50% discount from prevailing parking rates is available for convention member hotel guests. The rates for the convention dates will be confirmed in the next Progress Report.

There are 959 king bed rooms and 896 double/double sleeping rooms. Many rooms interconnect with one another in various combinations depending on the floor and tower.

Thanks ithanos. Waiting to see if some of the extra info they're posting on Friday might be about wifi. The hotel doesn't have free wifi as standard (booking.com says it costs 13$ day - the hotel itself just says 'a small fee') but I'm hoping that with a hotel full of geeks they might relent on that, otherwise it would seem an odd choice of hotel to host a convention in (we need our internet!). Mind you, I do remember previous worldcons with limited internet, but it's becoming more and more expected for hotels to offer free internet now, I'm hoping that will be a thing of the past.

Sophie

Strange, the first week of the year is usually looking up the worldcon hotel booking date :lol:. Anyone starting to sort roomies yet? Seems the quad is the same price as a double... so I'm open for 2 - 3 roomies :cool4:

Does anyone know yet how long they're going to be in Chicago or thereabouts before or after the Con, and what they would like to do there?

I'm currently tentatively planning 2 days before and after the con, but I've no idea what to do there yet.

Archived