Who do you WANT to win the Iron Throne?

HashRouge

Jon. If that's not possible, Aegon (Varys sold me on him). Also, I hate the iron throne. I mean, I think it's a pretty cool idea for a throne but it's kind of impractical. I think we should see at least one person die on it before that though.

There's 3 people that I think would be well suited for King: Jaime, Stannis and Randyl Tarly. All 3 command respect and are a little fearsome.

I know Tarly is a really odd choice. He was a total tool of a father to Sam and I dislike the man immensely. But he took Maidenpool from a burned out ruins in AFFC to a thriving community with his philosophy of keeping idle men busy. I like that notion and I could see him rebuilding the realm quickly and making the economy get back on track and prosper. Stannis would do a decent job if Melisandre was 100% out of the picture. All 3 of those men would do well to have a man like Davos as their Hand because his type of personality would compliment theirs.

I think Tyrion and Jon would make wonderful Kings but Tyrion could not command respect ( dwarf) and Jon is too decent to be King. I think they are both too gentle-natured for that job in that world. I think their lives would be in jeopardy and people would be plotting against them from the day one. The other 3 guys would do a better job at staying alive as King.

The only good candidates are already dead (Rhaegar, Eddard, Renly...) or couldn't get it (Tyrion, Davos, Mance...).

Jon would not be bad, but he would need a hand like Tyrion.

The best choice would be to match an honorable one (Jon, Davos...etc) with a smart one (Tyrion...etc) in the King/Hand pair.

Because honor does undo people... as we saw it many times in ASOIAF.

Stannis would be a good small council member (Head of Justice for example).

Concerning Aegon, I don't know what to think of the boy... We just don't know him enough.

As for Daenerys... euh, hum. Just do your AA thing you're supposed to do to save the day, and leave the ruling to "grown" people please.

Rhaegar as a good king ? You make me laugh .

Either Petyr or Stannis.

Petyr because he'd deserve it if he could grasp it considering his low birth and small physique, but he's smart and cunning.

Stannis because I agree with his character. He is the rightful King. Plus I agree with his morals on law - no exceptions. Law is law. Like what he did to Davos, it was justice in every way.

I hope not Dany. I don't like her, I don't think she deserves to be Queen. Don't think she earned it. And I realistically don't think she has what it takes to hold a throne in a place like Westeros. Truth be told, it would be Ser Barristan who would hold her throne. She'd be useless without selfless advisors. Useless.

Either Petyr or Stannis.

Petyr because he'd deserve it if he could grasp it considering his low birth and small physique, but he's smart and cunning.

Stannis because I agree with his character. He is the rightful King. Plus I agree with his morals on law - no exceptions. Law is law. Like what he did to Davos, it was justice in every way.

I hope not Dany. I don't like her, I don't think she deserves to be Queen. Don't think she earned it. And I realistically don't think she has what it takes to hold a throne in a place like Westeros. Truth be told, it would be Ser Barristan who would hold her throne. She'd be useless without selfless advisors. Useless.

That is the tragic part. In AGOT and ACOK I really liked her and wanted her to one day win. Then her inertia stopped towards the end of ASOS. Dany was one of my favorites. Since her Brittany Spears turn in ADWD, I would be okay if she had a red wedding moment and not appear in the rest of the series.

It fills one with dread having to read chapters more of her wandering around Essos, pointless plots with the Dothrakyi, going to see the crones, think about Daario, have to actually go back to Meereen, and watch her brainlessly heed every prophecy, and still not meeting Tyrion, Victarion, or anyone from Westeros.

Perhaps at some point Dany is going to realize that she does not really belong in Westeros or even want to be there. She's been indoctrinated in Viserys' win-back-the-Targaryen-throne obsession since early childhood; but what Dany continues to dream of is the red door of her childhood home in Essos; and she continues to find excuses not to leave Essos. I think she might come over to Westeros, find out how unwanted her rule would be, help fight against the Others, and either die in the fight or return to Essos and maybe live out her life there trying to end the slave trade at least among her Dothraki. Maybe she'll rule over whatever is left in Valyria to be ruled over.

Dany could only become popular in Westeros if she scores some significant victory against the Others, or teams up with people who are loved and/or have followings, such as the Martells or the Tyrells or the surviving Starks, or even the Night's Watch.

Perhaps at some point Dany is going to realize that she does not really belong in Westeros or even want to be there. She's been indoctrinated in Viserys' win-back-the-Targaryen-throne obsession since early childhood; but what Dany continues to dream of is the red door of her childhood home in Essos; and she continues to find excuses not to leave Essos. I think she might come over to Westeros, find out how unwanted her rule would be, help fight against the Others, and either die in the fight or return to Essos and maybe live out her life there trying to end the slave trade at least among her Dothraki. Maybe she'll rule over whatever is left in Valyria to be ruled over.

Dany could only become popular in Westeros if she scores some significant victory against the Others, or teams up with people who are loved and/or have followings, such as the Martells or the Tyrells or the surviving Starks, or even the Night's Watch.

I agree, but this is why I'm so suspicious about the Others, or rather their place in the story.

Do they just exist to be a row of ducks for candidate X to knock down in order to prove he/she is the champion and rightful occupant of the Iron Throne - an issue which can surely be settled in much more straightforward fashion with armies, diplomacy and ultimately, heads... spikes...

Or do they present a real threat of a massive invasion, death on an unimaginable scale and the ultimate battle between good and evil etc etc etc?

If so, there's something very seriously wrong with the structure of a story which develops 5+ books to the prologue and at best a book and a half to the main event.

Third option, instead of this very unlikely suggestion that they're coming, but not here yet, not until some point in what's currently scheduled as the penultimate book in the series; they are already an integral part of the story and not just vague noises off. If they are, that means the Children - and Bloodraven.

This in turn means, as I suggested in my last post, that the final battle for the Iron Throne will be fought between three Targaryens:

In the Ice corner, with the support of the Children, their White Walkers and ultimately the Old Gods: I give you Bryndon Rivers/Targaryen - Bloodraven

In the Fire corner, with the support of the followers of the Lord of Light and ultimately R'hllor: I give you Danaerys Stormborn/Targaryen - Azor Ahai and her amazing dragons.

As victory by either would be a disaster, there is a third contender to level the balance between the two: I give you the Prince that was Promised:

Jon Snow, otherwise Jon Stark/Targarayen - the Song of Ice and Fire.

I agree, but this is why I'm so suspicious about the Others, or rather their place in the story.

Do they just exist to be a row of ducks for candidate X to knock down in order to prove he/she is the champion and rightful occupant of the Iron Throne - an issue which can surely be settled in much more straightforward fashion with armies, diplomacy and ultimately, heads... spikes...

Or do they present a real threat of a massive invasion, death on an unimaginable scale and the ultimate battle between good and evil etc etc etc?

If so, there's something very seriously wrong with the structure of a story which develops 5+ books to the prologue and at best a book and a half to the main event.

Third option, instead of this very unlikely suggestion that they're coming, but not here yet, not until some point in what's currently scheduled as the penultimate book in the series; they are already an integral part of the story and not just vague noises off. If they are, that means the Children - and Bloodraven.

This in turn means, as I suggested in my last post, that the final battle for the Iron Throne will be fought between three Targaryens:

In the Ice corner, with the support of the Children, their White Walkers and ultimately the Old Gods: I give you Bryndon Rivers/Targaryen - Bloodraven

In the Fire corner, with the support of the followers of the Lord of Light and ultimately R'hllor: I give you Danaerys Stormborn/Targaryen - Azor Ahai and her amazing dragons.

As victory by either would be a disaster, there is a third contender to level the balance between the two: I give you the Prince that was Promised:

You are still aren't giving up on your theory aren't you ?

I started a thread the other day along the lines of - "Is the song of Ice & Fire happening within the game of Thrones or the other way around as In essence I partially agree with you - I do beleive there will be some form of Battle for dawn but it will all end up being dragged back down to the level of petty Kingdom politics and ultimately no wisdom will be gained from such a monumental supernatural event and it will just go back to being a battle for the Iron throne.

There's not time left for a full scale battle for human survival. (Which makes me feel a bit misled and sad). So the Others have to sort of not be a big deal in the end, and it'll finish as a story about human politics, just as it's been all along. Similarly, there probably won't be a big spike in the magic content at the end of the series either. A little bit, sure, but it'll probably stay true that armies are what wins wars, not wizards. I'm one of the people most guilty of hoping for a big increase in magic at the end, but is that really likely? I mean, isn't it more likely George will want to maintain the feel of gritty realism the story has had thus far? That means it'll be decided by brave acts by normal people in danger, not by waving a magic prop to make all the trouble go away.

Maybe there's one more large standoff against the Others? Perhaps fought by the expedition to Hardhome. Then just as they're attempting to breach the wall somebody figures them out. With the time limit looming so close ahead, won't the Others have to have some kind of built-in weakness that causes them to unravel all at once? (Like how killing the Uber vampire makes the heads explode on all the thralls he's sired.) Like somebody flies a dragon up to the north pole to the Others' fortress of solitude and makes their death star explode. I mean what else could make the threat of the Others go away in the time that's left?

The weirwoods seem like they're allied with Life more than with the icy cold, so I don't think we'll see Evil Bran joining the Others' crusade. And Bloodraven will spy family when the dragons return, so he probably won't pit himself against their fire, especially since I don't think he represents ice. It would be nice if the Real Enemy were revealed as some of the characters we know already. That'd mean they got more time on stage. I don't see the Old Gods being part of the real enemy though. Because those Old Gods have been watching over Men for 1000s of years now too without objecting. It looks like the Real Enemy has stagefright and may never fully emerge into the light. (I don't like that either.)

As for the topic, I'd LIKE to see Asha, Arya, and Arianne all squeezing onto the throne together. (AAA) As Homer would say, "Mmmmmm, incest-free rulership."

Great Question OP. Who do I want to win...?

Well I like Westeros so I want it to have a good ruler. So what qualities will make a good ruler in such a society.

I think

1 - Someone who desires peace but isn't afraid of war and understands the use of warfare in ruling

2 - Someone with a strict code of ethics and a punishment regime that they do not fear to back it up with

3 - Thinks before they acts and does not allow their ego to get in the way.

4 - Someone who can form alliances to strengthen their rule (a subset of this being they are clever enough and of high enough station to be accepted to make such alliances)

5 - Someone who knows their own weaknesses and surrounds themselves with strong and free willed advisors who can plug tose gaps

6 - Someone who can economically manage the realm and keep the peasants either A) Fed or working or B) happy

7 - Someone who can develop alliances from one of convenience & mutual gain to an emotional alliance

8 - Someone who will honour the traditions & values of the realm but also move it forward at a pace it can handle

In that order (as a first stab on a Sunday morning)

Given those criteria I actually think the best person to rule westeros would have been Tywin Lannister, with Ned Stark probably 2nd best placed.

Of the living Candidates

Jon - Probably ties with Tyrion the best of those around? Has shown decent to very good attributes in all of the above criteria but unproven on 6 and has been too radical with his pace of change for 8.

Tyrion - A tie with Jon, he did a great job in KL IMHO as hand, predjudice & lack of planning lost his way (he seemed oblivious to his Father taking away his loaned power when he returned to KL) I think he might have learnt from this?

Stannis - pretty good on 1&2 but no evidence he can form alliances or economically manage - makes a good conqueror but a poor ruler IMHO

Dany - Epic no. Seems to be either too quick or too slow to go to war. Has allowed herself and her people to get into extermely compromised situations several times. Too impetuous and too much ego. Doesnt surround herself with good people or take good counsel.

Young Griff / Aegon. - Too much unknown

Littlefinger - I think he could excel at several of these but his abilities on 1&2 are a question mark as he operates in the shadows, Throwing Lysa Arryn out of a window and being the public face of crime & punishment decisions are 2 very different things. A wildcard option.

Davos. - No Not strong enough, I cant see him ever making the decision to go to war and in this society I think all rulers would need that. He would not wear leadership well - is more suited as a number 2.

Judging the politics of the series by modern standards is a bit pointless - none of the claimants would deserve power if that was the case and most of them would actually deserve life in prison instead. The series won't end with the establishment of a democratic republic as it took centuries for our real-world societies to evolve from absolute monarchy to representative parliamentary democracy. ASOIAF isn't on that kind of timeline. What we can hope for is the series to end with wise rulers who will keep moving Westeros in the right direction, possibly into a Renaissance/Enlightenment of sorts.

I think the best candidate would still be Dany. Granted, she still has a lot to learn but she'd be a popular and compassionate ruler. If Stannis could somehow be persuaded to serve as her Hand (and ditch the human sacrifices), then you'd have a winning combo. He'd take zero crap from anyone but he'd also apply the law equally and fairly.

Jon would also make a great ruler but I think he'll refuse the offer of power. I also think the North will be independent at the end of the series and Sansa would make a great Queen in the North, if the uber-traditional Northeners could be persuaded to have a female ruler. If not, Sansa might end up as queen of Westeros if Dany doesn't want it. Sansa's arc seems to involve her learning the dos and don'ts of leadership, so she'll make a good queen someday.

Perhaps the establishment of a Magna Carta at the end of the series?

I think the best rulers would have been the tyrells either with Renly or with Tommen. They are not as ruthless as Tywin, and because of that they have a way better image (they are ruthless behind the curtains), they know what the smallfolks wants, and they give the that, that is why margaery is extremly popular in KL. They have a very big army, good at forming alliances and in the political sheming.

But I want the throne to be destroyed. I hope the Targs only get Dragonstone back. And even for that I choose Aegon.

Then here are my want list:

The North: Brandon Stark. I want him to be the one who rebuilts Winterfelll. (since during his climbing where he get to know the castle more than anyone and the Brandon the Buikder name.) Since he probably can't have children his heir will be Rickon and his family.

The Vale: Sansa either with Sweetrobin or with Harry the Heir.

Riverlands: Edmure Tully, I love him ok?

Westerlands: Castery Rock is destroyed. Some distant Reyne or Tarbeck relative who was part of one of the foreign selllsword companies gets the Westerlands, and from then on its central will be Castamere :devil: (The Reynes did support the Blackfyres, so there could be exiled relatives among the Golden Company from those families)

Highgarden and the Reach: Willas Tyrell, mace died.

Dorne: Doran dies so it would be Arianne or Trystan.

Iron Islands: either viped out or Asha

Jon, dany and tyrion die heroic deaths.

What is Dany going to offer Westeros, other than some dragons who will munch their children? Oh, she has an army of foreigners who will rape, pillage, and plunder them. Like they need foreigners to do that? If anything the pitchforks and torches should come out, as well assassins and poisoners when she takes the throne. Thanks for nothing Dany, now the people have to pay more taxes to hire Dragonslayers.

She's got 3 Dragons to deal with the Others and their undead horde.

Archived