NFL 11 push to the playoffs

Howdyphillip

Well I'm pretty happy for the Packers securing home field throughout the playoffs. But, of course, against a Bears team hit heavy by injuries... the Pack should have played better in the first half. Rodgers showed some great arm on those 3-4 deep balls. Yowzer.

Prolly have to give the offensive edge to the Saints. The Packers had a good running game going around mid-season, but with the injuries to the O-line and Starks have slowed them down. Also, even though Packers' WR Jennings will be back for the playoffs, no telling how rusty he may be.

The Saints with Brees, their WRs, Sproles and that TE?!? Are you kidding me?.... yikes. Explosive offense.

Prolly have to give the offensive edge to the Saints. The Packers had a good running game going around mid-season, but with the injuries to the O-line and Starks have slowed them down. Also, even though Packers' WR Jennings will be back for the playoffs, no telling how rusty he may be.

My concern for the Pack has been and remains their defense. Yes, they haven't quite been the offensive machine this past month they had been previously. I have no doubt they are capable of putting up more than enough points to give themselves a realistic chance agianst any team in the league. Their D, which was brilliant down the stretch and in the playoffs last season, has been rather poor this year. If the D can find a way to turn in 3 good performances they win the superbowl. I just don't have a lot of confidence that will happen.

Why is Rodgers being hailed as the no brainer MVP? He has four more touchdowns and five fewer interceptions than Breese, but that is all.Breese has almost 500 more yards, a better completion rate, more attemtps, more completions and more yards per game... Oh, and he just broke a record that has stood for 27 freaking years...Breese just had the best season in the history of quarterbacks, and all I hear about is Rodgers... Any other year, what Rodgers has done would be remarkable, but Breese just beat him in my opinion...

Why is Rodgers being hailed as the no brainer MVP? He has four more touchdowns and five fewer interceptions than Breese, but that is all.Breese has almost 500 more yards, a better completion rate, more attemtps, more completions and more yards per game... Oh, and he just broke a record that has stood for 27 freaking years...Breese just had the best season in the history of quarterbacks, and all I hear about is Rodgers... Any other year, what Rodgers has done would be remarkable, but Breese just beat him in my opinion...

45 TDs to 6 Ints is sick (also, he has 7 less ints which is a big deal). The completion percentage is slightly less but ypc is higher. And he has the wins. Not to mention he has been near flawless all year. His QB rating of 122 is a record I believe.

What Brees has done is certainly impressive, but Rodgers has been just about perfect this year.

I'll be rooting for the Bengals next week.

If the AFC North (and a first-round bye) wasn't at stake, I wouldn't really have any problems with the Bengals winning. But as things are now I'm hoping that the Ravens win and that either the Bengals or the Raiders (or both of them) get into the playoffs.

Why is Rodgers being hailed as the no brainer MVP?

Grantland had a good piece on this phenomenon called "recency bias" - the fact that what is happening NOW is somehow more important than what happened at the beginning of the season. And the fact that if the Pack beat the Chiefs this is not even a discussion. The fact that Breese just set the season record fro yards adds fuel to that fire. But the reality is that overall, Rodgers is having a better season. Not just viewed in the last 5 weeks.

The reason Rodgers is the runaway consensus MVP is because he is the best player playing on the best team and that team is probably bad without him. Most notably, Mexal already identified the stats that matter most- HUGE TD-to-INT ratio that is almost absurd to contemplate; a great yards-per-attempt number (9.25; no other QB is above 8.5 [brady]) and his QB rating is 122.5- that's 14 points more than Breese, thus making the distance between 1st and second in this category as great as the distance between second and seventh (Rothlesberger)- is crazy-good. The Packers defense is the second-worst in the NFL (yup, only the Pats' D is worse)- giving up 400 yards per game. That's not trivial. No QB - save maybe Brady -has done more on one side of the ball while the other side of the ball is a complete train wreck.

Now, I don't think Rodgers will be a unanimous MVP, like Brady was last season. But I do think he'll be the runaway vote getter.

Breese just had the best season in the history of quarterbacks

This is fucking preposterous. (And not just because you misspell a 5 letter name.)

He threw for a lot of yards, which is indicative of a lot of things -- some good and some less so, but 'best season ever' before the playoffs even start? For a team with 3 losses?

Fucking preposterous.

I think that most years, Brees would be a hands down MVP. The Marino record has stood for a long time, and beating it requires absolutely fantastic production at the quarterback position for the entire season. But Brees does not deserve the MVP over Rodgers. While the receivers are very comparable, I think the Saints offense is stronger up front and better on the ground. If you put an average NFL quarterback in New Orleans, I suspect they would have a lot more success than they would in Green Bay. In spite of slightly less talent around him, Rodgers has more touchdowns, fewer interceptions and more wins. Case closed.

As for the Redskins, well we managed to lose to the 2-12 Vikings, so that sucked. We are now looking at probably needing to trade up to get Griffin, so that sucks. I haven't seen too much of Griffin, but I see his as a high risk / high reward sort of pick (even more so than usual for quarterbacks). He's got great arm strength, good size, speed and accuracy, but Baylor isn't the NFL, and he will have a lot to learn. I just worry about trading up for such a risky guy. I also worry about what will happen if we don't do it, because I don't know if I can handle another season of Rexy.

This is fucking preposterous. (And not just because you misspell a 5 letter name.)

He threw for a lot of yards, which is indicative of a lot of things -- some good and some less so, but 'best season ever' before the playoffs even start? For a team with 3 losses?

Fucking preposterous.

Yeah... I misspelled Brees, but that doesn't negate the fact that he just broke the most important seasonal record a QB can have in the passing record. If a RB broke Dickerson's 2105 that was set in 1984, then the whole world would stand up and say he had the best season of all time.

Rodgers has been amazing, but we have seen it before. Manning, Brady, and Marino have seasons with more TDs. Brady had a better TD to INT rate last year.

What Brees has done, no one has done in the history of the game... ever... in 92 freaking years.... with thousands of people playing the position. Brees stands alone.

Rodgers... had a good year...period

Archived