NFL 11 push to the playoffs

Howdyphillip

utter horseshit officiating

if your defense can't protect the QB you can march down the field on penalties

Unless you are smart enough to just grab the quarterback and tackle him. Trying to take his head off is a bad strategy in the modern NFL.

I disagree 100%.

Watch an old football game. Defenders wrapped and tackled. The helmet-to-helmet phenomenon is a result of the modern lack-of-technique I call the pinball tackle. This has to go. For safety and for aesthetics. If you watch the old videos (pre-1985), you see the helmet contact seldom happened back in the day.

Pretty sure you didn't see some of the calls made in this game or you wouldn't be defending this.

You're tilting at windmills with the "trying to take his head off" line. Did you see the Watt hit? It's funny you're bringing up fundamental tackling because his was the living embodiment of it. Still drew a flag. As did one on the Colts game winning drive that kept it going and played a significant role in their scoring the TD they did.

The irony is that on both hits combined, Orlovsky suffered less in the way of hits to his head than the average Offensive Lineman does while pass blocking on just about any garden variety, five-step-drop passing play.

Getting out of the Luck pick may be the best thing that happens to the Colts. There would just be too much pressure to keep him. I do not care how high this guy is rated, his name is not Peyton Manning. In my not so humble opinion, Manning is the best QB to ever play this game. He could very well have six or seven years left in the tank.

Maybe Luck will go on to have a great career, but the chances of him being as good as Manning are slim to none. Of course this is all predicated by the assumption that Manning is coming back.

My Colts are playing themselves right out of the Luck pick, Barkley is staying at USC, and Jim Caldwell is going to stay in town...

Somehow this season just got worse.

ESPN had a quick story about this. Basically thanks to the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker the Colts finish ahead in the draft order of the Rams and Vikings in the event of a tie. So if the Colts lose next week (or if they win and both the Rams and Vikings win at least one of their last two games) they still get the #1 pick. They're still in the drivers seat as it were.

Personally I'm glad they're winning though; shows they have integrity and are at least trying their best (which is what every ex-NFL player always said when asked about the whole "suck for luck" thing). The only thing worse in sports then tanking is taking a dive; and both should be heavily punished when its proven to have occurred.

Season isn't quite over, but here's a take on the best and worst contracts of the season...

That's a pretty cool article, I had no idea that Jason Babin went to Philly for such a bargain.

Personally I'm glad they're winning though; shows they have integrity and are at least trying their best (which is what every ex-NFL player always said when asked about the whole "suck for luck" thing). The only thing worse in sports then tanking is taking a dive; and both should be heavily punished when its proven to have occurred.

I know it's petty of me, but I've never seen my team be so god-awful that there were several instances where I decided to watch a Bears game instead. I was just expecting that we'd get something out of this mess, and 2-3 wins is not what I'm looking for.

Patriots playing ike they want a Christmas break. O-Line (injury plagued at this point) looking terrible; Brady and the receivers not on the same page; no running game. On defense (if you can call it that) the D has given up plenty of penalties; can't stop Moore, gives up huge passes and on one play, the D was so terrible that one of our best defensive players (Ron Nankovitch) was called on pass interference when the QB went out on a pass. Just let that sink it- our defensive interfered WITH THE QB ON A PASS!

Playing more and more like a team with the worst defense in the NFL.

Finally the Bengals are dominating a team. I hope don't have a second half breakdown again.

In other news, did anyone see Jerome Simpson's play?

Might be the first time I ever saw a guy leap over another player, do a flip and stick the landing. That was crazy.

Really loving this Christmas gift from the Patriots.

Don't forget the Browns decided to gift you an Encroument on 4-2, those silly Browns.

The comeback would have still been improbable, but that was nice of them.

The "try to draw them offsides when you're really just looking to take the delay of game so the punt's less likely to go for a touchback" play actually worked. Kind of feel bad for the dude who jumped offsides. But not too bad.

Apparently my Christmas gift to Pats fans was posting something about the Pats losing and jinxing the Dolphins. Well, Rock and company, don't say I never got you anything.

You gave me the ultimate gift: the gift of laughter. And that -combined with the inevitable pointing -is priceless.

Archived