NFL: Tebowmania's Migration

Mack Kilimaro

Nah dude this changes everything. I'd go with Tannehill at one instead. Or Osweiler. I dunno. Only thing I do know is time to blow the whole plan up.

I'd trade the pick for money for Irsay's alcohol addiction pastime and just keep Painter as the starter.

Nah dude this changes everything. I'd go with Tannehill at one instead. Or Osweiler. I dunno. Only thing I do know is time to blow the whole plan up.

I'd trade the pick for money for Irsay's alcohol addiction pastime and just keep Painter as the starter.

I say trade Luck to Denver for Manning and a second round pick in 2013. Let them deal with this kid's bullshit.

You've got a dirty whorish mouth.

Did you guys know that Bayless was nominated for a broadcasting emmy this year? I have listened to him for years as he used to cover Dallas sports locally. He is actually pretty knowledgeable and he used to have pretty spot on opinions. It is the ESPN format that has made him into such a tool. I kind of view it like when a good underground bands goes big label and sells out to make the bucks. I don't listen anymore, but I can appreciate that they are finally making the money.

Bayless made a name for himself as a Dallas beat writer by insinuating, with no evidence, that Troy Aikman was gay.*

http://www.nbcdfw.co...-128893303.html

Bayless is a sleazemonger and a shitmouth, and he's been one since before he was on ESPN. If he died and vultures ate his corpse they would in turn die of Greasy Degeneration.

* Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bayless made a name for himself as a Dallas beat writer by insinuating, with no evidence, that Troy Aikman was gay.*

Bayless was the first to print the rumor, but that thing was around for a long time before that. He didn't just make that up off the top of his head. The exact context of how he brought it up was that Barry Switzer came to him and asked him if Troy Aikman was gay. In the book, He told Switzer that he didn't know.

Bayless was the first to print the rumor, but that thing was around for a long time before that. He didn't just make that up off the top of his head. The exact context of how he brought it up was that Barry Switzer came to him and asked him if Troy Aikman was gay. In the book, He told Switzer that he didn't know.

He has also since (if you check my link) never really seemed to feel bad about it and has certainly shown no shame in revisiting the rumor for professional gain.

He's not clueless. I'm convinced he knows exactly what he's doing -- which is to flog lines of argumentation that elicit maximum attention and screen time. He's a trained monkey who earns his peanuts for saying stupid things that will get a reaction. He's a sports version of Rush Limbaugh. I'd call him a whore, but that's not nice to whores.

I don't know about this. he would have to be a very talented actor to play batshit crazy that realistically. I think that as things went to his head he gradually lost it. yes he started trying to say things that he knew would stir the pot but along the way, he convinced himself.

Upon the Luck and Griffin situation:

I've not been a football fan for an incredibly long time (about 7 years), but I can't think of a moment like this when two (or even one, really) undrafted players were not only all but confirmed in their destinations, but were already being celebrated as the futures of the franchises like this.

It's so weird to think that RG III and Luck are so firmly cemented at one and two that it'd throw people for a loop if RG III goes first. I'd honestly be okay with either coming to Indy (though I've already expressed that I'm higher on Luck), but I think that Redskins fans would be devastated if they ended up with Luck instead of RG III. It wouldn't be disappointment that they still landed the top-rated passer to come out of college since forever, but more of a puzzlement due to the fact that the Redskins very specifically paid for RG III.

I don't know if that makes any sense, it's just something I've been pondering (or should I say Tannehilling) (sorry, that was a horrible pun, but I can't summon the will to delete it) about for a few days now.

So I'm wondering from our resident Redskins, how would you feel if you got Luck instead of RG III?

I am not a Racist Name fan, but if I were, I would feel robbed. RGIII is clearly the better athlete. The cardinal rule in the draft is you take the best athlete available and everyone seems to be ignoring that because there is a great college QB coming out that happened to play at the same school John Elway did.

It seems that Irsay is dead set on making all of the wrong decisions this off season. As someone who loves the Colts, I can say this off season has pissed me off to no end.

The cardinal rule in the draft is you take the best athlete available and everyone seems to be ignoring that because there is a great college QB coming out that happened to play at the same school John Elway did.
Is Poster Drunk?

No, the cardinal rule is not to take the best athlete available. If you do that, you end up with players like Ryan Leaf and Aaron Curry - workout phenomenons who have tons of upside and don't have the talent. The cardinal rule is to pick the best PLAYER available, and even that's wrong; what you're really wanting to do as an organization is pick guys that will start for your team for multiple years.

Now, sometimes you're willing to take a risk on a guy because you think that his ceiling is high, and take that risk that he simply just sucks - but more often than not you want to get a guy with low risk of failure, high chance of success and a good chance of being amazing. Andrew Luck is the #1 pick not because he's the best QB to ever play college, or even the most talented athlete in college football. He's the #1 pick because he is a great prospect at QB combined with being one of the most sure things you can get, and that's very rare. RG3 may end up being better than Luck, but there's a decent chance that he'll end up being decidedly worse than Luck or many other QBs, and won't be worth the time.

One scary thing to note about RG3 - he has never started a full season. Not once. He's had some pretty bad injuries too. That would scare me off.

As a Redskins fan, I agree that I'd be confused if we ended up with Luck, but I think I'd adapt to it fast and be quite okay with it. It would just be, as you said, extremely unexpected since he'd been written off as impossible to get for months now.

So I'm wondering from our resident Redskins, how would you feel if you got Luck instead of RG III?

I'd be ecstatic. I've viewed him as the single best college prospect to come out since Peyton Manning for almost two years now. The thought that this guy could be a Redskin is kinda the realization of an impossible dream.

That said bizarrely there might still be just a tinge of disappointment because I've spent almost the entire offseason obsessing over RGIII figuring that we had no shot at Luck. I've been completely blown away by the guy. And a part of me believes he even has a higher upside than Luck if he's able to put it all together and stay healthy. The man has a skillset unlike any prospect ever to come into the league. (Cam Newton is also a unique beast IMO though different from RGIII.)

RG3 may end up being better than Luck, but there's a decent chance that he'll end up being decidedly worse than Luck or many other QBs, and won't be worth the time. One scary thing to note about RG3 - he has never started a full season. Not once. He's had some pretty bad injuries too. That would scare me off.

I agree RGIII is the riskier pick, no question. But that's more a function of how safe of a pick I believe Luck to be. Compared to other top of the first round type QBs, I think RGIII is a safer bet than most. After all he's a 70% passer, super high character and preternaturally at ease under the spotlight. I'd be legitimately stunned if he busts out of the league for any reason other than injuries, which admittedly, is the one red flag whereas Luck has none.

Upside and high ceiling is when the management staff trick themselves into thinking a player can become a superstar.

Eh, you're right (though I think that upside and high ceiling are good bets in the latter part of the draft), but I don't think that RG III is all upside. Here's an interesting little article from Luck's private quarterbacks coach.

I think he comes off as a little bit of a salesman, but he makes some very good points about how RG III has become the upside-guy while Luck has become the sure-thing-low-ceiling guy even though Luck has a shitload of attributes that are rarely seen in a QB.

Anyone want to throw up in their mouth? Cool, read on:

The New York Post reports that there’s a battle going on to trademark the phrase “Timsanity.” Two brothers from Brooklyn are on one side and a Manhattan hedge fund manager is on the other, with the twist being that all three men are Giants fans who couldn’t resist the Tim-tation (forgive me) of a little easy money.

I think he comes off as a little bit of a salesman, but he makes some very good points about how RG III has become the upside-guy while Luck has become the sure-thing-low-ceiling guy even though Luck has a shitload of attributes that are rarely seen in a QB.

That's kind of the difficulty with the whole debate. RGIII comes off as the hyper athletic guy even though Andrew Luck is one of the best QB athletes to come out in years. Meanwhile Luck is seen as the better pure passer although RGIII completes 70% of his passes and has excellent touch. Hard to emphasize the strengths of one without coming off like you're impugning the other. People end up talking about RGIII like he's Michael Vick and they talk about Andrew Luck like he's Peyton Manning but both defy easy categorization. Even if he completes more passes, RGIII's going to have to be on top of his game to make the dynamic impact Vick did. And if Luck has a career half has good as Peyton Manning that's an absolute home run.

Regardless I like that RGIII compared himself to Steve Young and John Elway and I like that Andrew Luck defined himself as a more intellectual Henry Louis Gates.

Regardless I like that RGIII compared himself to Steve Young and John Elway and I like that Andrew Luck defined himself as a more intellectual Henry Louis Gates.

Love and agree with your post, but when the hell did ^this^ happen? That's fucking awesome!

Love and agree with your post, but when the hell did ^this^ happen? That's fucking awesome!

Alright, I'm full of shit. But if Luck is as good as I think he is, I expect him to break this bad boy out whenever he needs to bewilder the Peter Kings of the world.

I was looking over my mock draft (yes, I have a mock draft), and an interesting thought hit me. How awesome would it be for my Colts to trade back into the first round (maybe for one of the Patriots' picks) for the #33 pick and whatever else a team would want (probably a swap of 3's or 4's) and take TE Corey Fleener. It'd be an epic meet-me-at-Indy for Luck and his TE.

Archived