Game of Thrones Scores Ratings Are In

Westeros

Via TV By The Numbers, we now have the ratings for the premiere, and they are pretty good—3.9 million first airing viewings (just shy of the 4 million many hoped for), but with a 2.0 in the important 18-49 demographic, which is the highest the show has ever received.Besides that, additional airings garnered a further 2.9 million viewers, raising that total to 6.278 million, and that’s without On Demand or HBO Go factored in.I think it’s safe to say that it’s just a matter of time for the pick up of season 3 to be announced!

Visit the Site!

I read something on the ez tv website that rumoured back in December that HBO were already considering green lighting seasons 3 and 4 to shoot back to back to cover A storm of swords.

Edit: Here is the link I know its only rumour but still interesting

http://eztv.it/tvnews/5862/hbo-is-considering-adding-two-more-seasons-of-game-of-thrones/

Almost 4 million for the premeire first showing is very good, but not really surprising. I have to admit I am a little surprised by the 2.9 million from the additional airings. From memory (so I could be wrong :)) I don't recall much over 1 million last year from the additional viewings, maybe 1.2 mil?. An additional 2.9 totally blows my personal estimate away, and the grand total for the night (again not counting HBO GO) is fantastic!

Awesome that it was the highest rated show on television for Sunday. Beating out Mad Men in the UK, yes, but also here in the US by around 1 million viewers! Nice! And Mad Men is on AMC...

I do wonder how negatively the ratings are affected by illegal viewing (streaming, torrents). I would assume a show of this genre, with their audience demographic coupled with the fact that it is on premium cable has a whole lot of people downloading it to view.

We've participated in the Nielsen process a couple of times. We had to document whether or not we watched live or if we used a DVR. There must be a mathematical formula for everything. I'm hoping that HBO is pleased with its numbers (live plus DVR). BTW, we watched it live PLUS we DVRd it.

IMDB gives no release dates for any country for season 2.

We know the US and UK one.

So one wonders what the world wide viewers will be.

Still no total numbers for Season 1 for Europe.

Maybe HBO is mulling one more season or several green lighted?

I was at a premiere party for this. 3 of us out of 10 have HBO so that means 2 of us didn't add to the viewership. This week, we will be back to normal watching all 3 of our HBO's.

There were probably a lot of other people that did the same. 10 of us equaled 1 viewing.

Hooray for Season 3 should be announced shortly!

Almost 4 million for the premiere is good. As long as there are 'new' fans they will green light a season. Here's hoping it ends on a 4.1 or 4.2 million rating.

Strange the UKs numbers were down...up everywhere else

I think it's down to lack of promotion. I don't know many people here in the UK that have heard of GoT. Very few of my mates, bar the ones I've persuaded, have watched it.

Strange the UKs numbers were down...up everywhere else

Re: UK numbers - Someone mentioned that the S1 premiere was on a 'free weekend', thus it is not a comparable number to the S2 premiere. I could be wrong, though...

Re: UK numbers - Someone mentioned that the S1 premiere was on a 'free weekend', thus it is not a comparable number to the S2 premiere. I could be wrong, though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Atlantic#Most_watched_programmes

It seems that not only the S1 premiere, but the whole of S1 got substantially higher viewing figures than S2 Ep1. It's due to lack of awareness about it. If it was on BBC 1 it would probably get 5 times higher viewing figures.

http://en.wikipedia....ched_programmes

It seems that not only the S1 premiere, but the whole of S1 got substantially higher viewing figures than S2 Ep1. It's due to lack of awareness about it. If it was on BBC 1 it would probably get 5 times higher viewing figures.

Comparing apples to oranges there - I'm not sure what metric that is but the 520K for S2 Ep1 is the overnight data, which compares to 743K for s1 Ep1.

Comparing apples to oranges there - I'm not sure what metric that is but the 520K for S2 Ep1 is the overnight data, which compares to 743K for s1 Ep1.

True.

I did notice that Sky did a lot less advertising this year for GoT. At least on billboards in Ireland. Given it's popularity, I thought they'd make more of it.

i've seen shed loads of advertising for season 2 on sky, though fewer bus stops etc, but this figure is lower than any episode of season 1 which is a shame. but season 3 gets greenlit based on american audiences and dvd sales which are fine so i don't really care that much.

It's the full week figures that matter. Sky made a big deal about Sky Anywhere and so on, and I think we'll find that a lot more people decided when it was convenient to them. We'll know next week, I expect, what the real total viewership is.

Archived