Why No News is Good News

Westeros

So, everyone hoped for word that HBO was happy with Game of Thrones and would announce on Monday morning that it was ordering another season. Or, as last year, maybe it’d be a day or two more - Tuesday or Wednesday.Now it’s Friday… and nothing. What’s happening?read on >>>

Visit the Site!

If, what I have seen, on revenues , HBO considers shooting 3 & 4 back to back they could save money.

A la, Peter Jackson and LTOR, three films , success, pick ups.

Now I don't know what D&D think of this.

It might mean actors have to have other contracts bought out, it's a fine ensemble one has to admit.

Seems to me , if so, D&D need to expand their production staff, are they amiable to this?

So more executive producers , for what I see of them , they would seem not to mind.

All the technical stuff can be trumped with money, depending on how HBO computes the future, which right now, looks good!

Everybody surely wants to see those full grown dragons!

Well... here we sit at 4/7/12 and I can't find out what the weeks cumulative was.

One of HBO's benchmarks, so it is said.

WEB probing only turns up the premiere headline.

Enough to drive a sane man to drink.

Remember back in July last year when HBO said they would keep making the show as long as GRRM kept writing the books? And how they said they would never cancel a good show early? Yeah, nothing to worry about. Boardwalk Empire got renewed for a third season 3 WEEKS after its season 2 premiere. So just because we got a quick renewal after season 1, doesn't mean it'll be like that every time. I think that's what people were expecting: HBO to announce a third and fourth season with the reveal of the premiere numbers. Judging by trends, HBO only does it after a series premiere.

Don't get worked up. I'm not worried at all that this will be canceled. This is HBO's biggest show at the moment, getting more buzz than anything they have (including BE and True Blood, which I've never seen both).

Deadwood was also cancelled because David Milch wanted to fail miserably with "John from Cincinnati." Anyway, the execs who were in charge of HBO during the Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale (that early cancellation killed me) days are no longer with HBO. And I've read that the GoT S2 premiere viewership was pretty high.

I'm pretty sure Rome was only given two seasons, as it was a BBC production, and many of their series are short lived, even successful ones. Now Deadwood, that's the one that got stiffed.

Why, yes, I am still bitter, why do you ask?

No HBO was had the largest fraction of production, I think about 60% for the first season, BBC and RAI about 40%.

The second season I don't know the BBC's part.

The odd thing is HBO made their money back in DVD sales, and much to their surprise, realized they probably could have profited from a 3rd season.

Totally different management at HBO now, we know initial sales of GOT DVDs was quite extraordinary, never have found out what total world wide sales are now.

I think the delay has something to do with the source material for Season 3.

Look, we all know that SoS is the longest and certainly densest of the books. They are probably still negotiating how to handle it all (split into two seasons, more episodes, etc.).

So I think it has less to do with HBO cold feet over the price, and more to do with how to handle ALL OF THE ACTION that will happen in Season 3.

Archived