HBO Selects Emmy Award Submissions

Westeros

I'm rooting for Michelle Fairley and Emilia Clarke for best supporting actress. I do think the others are fantastic, but I feel that Michelle Fairley and Emilia Clarke have just been so phenomenal in their roles, I'd like to see some recognition for them.

I'm rooting for Alfie as best supporting actor, but I can't hate if Peter gets it again. :P He deserves it again.

I completely agree with this. Michelle and Emilia were fantastic last season, but they're even better this season.

I completely agree with this. Michelle and Emilia were fantastic last season, but they're even better this season.

Yes. Michelle's face and reaction when Petyr handed back Ned's remains was heartbreaking. For Emilia, the scene where she comforts Irri about Rakharro was also very touching and it's quite impressive seeing her emote these powerful feelings in a made up language.

Peter Dinklage is even better this year than last year so far, and that is saying a lot! I understand the whole "ensemble" cast thing, but I believe he deserves to be up for Best Actor, rather than Supporting Actor. Either way, he definitely should win again..outstanding work!

He's without a doubt a terrific actor, but I'm still not convinced by his accent. In every scene I always think about how phoney it sounds.

I'm surprised they didn't put Dinklage up for best actor, he's really taken over since Bean left.

I'm also surprised that Sophie Turner was suggested. I think she's the weakest link of the entire cast.

I think she's terrific. Really nails the role as a depressed and desperate girl in the midst of enemies. Aidan Gillen is the weakest link IMO.

I think she's terrific. Really nails the role as a depressed and desperate girl in the midst of enemies.

I just don't think I have ever seen her range of emotions. From her first scene in Winterfell to her latest scenes she acts exactly the same. I see no improvement in her, and compare her to the other child actors (particularly Maisie and Isaac) she's lacking a lot. I mainly blame her facial expressions as she doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between different emotions with her expressions.

Anyway, I'm not here to bash Sophie Turner, I just really don't think she is deserving of any Emmy's especially when you consider the other strong female actresses (Michelle Fairley and Maisie Williams particularly.)

I'm sure the show itself will be nominated again. Last year, Downton Abbey won the category. It was an excellent period show. I wonder, however, if it was more of a nod to PBS, as they hadn't had nominees in this category for a while. Downton will be nominated again this year, I think. Will they pull it off again? We'll see.

• 1 month later...

Their decision to run Peter Dinklage in the Best Supporting Actor category isn't so much about Tyrion having a lead vs. supporting role as it is them thinking he has a better shot of winning in this category. For starters, he took home the award last year. And with Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad) back in the running this year, HBO probably realizes it will be tough to dethrone him (no pun intended). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think BC has won the award every year he's been nominated.

It's very common for an actor to be entered in one category when he/she could easily be submitted in the other. Reminds me of when the Friends cast entered themselves in the Best Supporting categories, as they felt they were an ensemble and that no single character was more of a lead than any of the others.

I definitely felt Tyrion's character assumed more of a lead role this season, but the decision is a smart move on HBO's part in terms of increasing PD's odds of winning.

BUT with the Downton Abbey cast also in the running this year. I'd say all bets are off. We all know how much Emmy love society dramas get!

I'm sure the show itself will be nominated again. Last year, Downton Abbey won the category. It was an excellent period show. I wonder, however, if it was more of a nod to PBS, as they hadn't had nominees in this category for a while. Downton will be nominated again this year, I think. Will they pull it off again? We'll see.

Downton Abbey won the outstanding miniseries, Game of Thrones runs in the outstanding drama category which has been won by Mad Men every year since Mad Men started. I think with Mad Men having perhaps its best season yet, likewise for Breaking Bad, and Boardwalk Empire and Homeland both being excellent, Game of Thrones may find itself lucky just to get a nomination seeing as they enjoy giving nominations to the terminally declining Dexter.

And I agree with everyone who said the reason Peter Dinklage is a supporting actor is to avoid going up against the seemingly unstoppable Bryan Cranston, and he'll be challenged in that category by Aaron Paul who wasn't eligible for an Emmy last year.

I'm stunned that they didn't nominate Jack Gleason. Maybe they're waiting for other things to happen before submitting his name. He is the number one villain this season. He has been spectacular in his odiousness (if that's a word!)

I don't think there's all that much complexity to his character, and it's not very demanding of his range. He's basically just very good at playing an annoyting twit.

I don't think there's all that much complexity to his character, and it's not very demanding of his range. He's basically just very good at playing an annoyting twit.

Well if he's "very good"at playing his character, then he should have been nominated. He's not playing an annoying twit, he's playing a royal asshole.

Downton Abbey won the outstanding miniseries, Game of Thrones runs in the outstanding drama category which has been won by Mad Men every year since Mad Men started. I think with Mad Men having perhaps its best season yet, likewise for Breaking Bad, and Boardwalk Empire and Homeland both being excellent, Game of Thrones may find itself lucky just to get a nomination seeing as they enjoy giving nominations to the terminally declining Dexter.

And I agree with everyone who said the reason Peter Dinklage is a supporting actor is to avoid going up against the seemingly unstoppable Bryan Cranston, and he'll be challenged in that category by Aaron Paul who wasn't eligible for an Emmy last year.

I stand corrected. Seven episodes v. ten. Mini-series/Drama.

• 2 weeks later...

The Emmys have too damn many categories.

But anyway I notice for 2011 that Gemma Jackson was not nominated for Art Direction , to me that is kind of insane.

She did win an Emmy in 2008.

She has even been nominated for an Academy Award.

I can't find out if she's been nominated this year.

Id much rather replace Richard and Kit with Charles and Nikolaj/Liam

Their submissions are for the first two episodes, which is why they submitted Richard and Kit.

I think they should have submitted episode 7 -- Headey and Dinklage have an amazing scene ("... this is the price for our sins"), Emilia Clarke has an amazing scene ("Who are my people?"), and Michelle and Nikolaj have amazing scenes too.

But for the first two episodes I think they nominated the right cast members.

I'm surprised they didn't put Dinklage up for best actor, he's really taken over since Bean left.

I'm also surprised that Sophie Turner was suggested. I think she's the weakest link of the entire cast.

There are a good few reasons why I think Maisie and Sophie both deserve their nominations at the very least. However, I'll focus on my opinions of Sophie...

1. People keep saying they don't see a big range in her emotions, remember the story... she doesn't have much to be happy about. I think she's done a phenomenal job showing everyone how the character feels in the situation.

2. Don't forget the scene where Margaery comes in and she realizes that she'll no longer have to marry Joffrey. The look of happiness and relief that she has, even if for a short moment, was perfect in my opinion. Then the quickness that it changes when Littlefinger throws facts in her face and ruins it. That alone was a lovely little, if not understated, piece of acting. Not overdone, or anything.

3. The whole battle episode, I felt like Sophie did a phenomenal job acting. One of my favorite episodes to see her in yet.

4. Look at how young she is in comparison to those around her, and the fact that she CAN actually hold her own.

I love how she plays the role, she's grown much more from last season. Maisie is also fantastic. The thing is that if it were up to me I'd nominate pretty much the entire cast and give them ALL awards. Unfortunately I don't have this power... I should work on that.....

Archived