[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

Tyrion was with Ros when Cersei sent Jaime to find him when they were all in Winterfell;

that was not ros, that was a different whore. tyrion doesn't meet ros until theon suggests her to him, and we never actually see tyrion with ros, we only know that he saw her by theon and ros' subsequent conversations.

EDIT:

you are correct, my mistake.

Am I missing something, why do people think Ramsey will be in the show next year? As far as I know there is no reason for Ramsey to be in the next two seasons.

i agree. if ramsey isn't going to be seen this season, there's no reason to cast him until he actually does something again in 2 years.

That was not Ros, that was a different whore. Tyrion doesn’t meet Ros until Theon suggests her to him, and we never actually see Tyrion with Ros. We only know that he saw her by Theon and Ros’s subsequent conversations.

Yes, that’s right. It’s one of the (few?) places where the show’s writers actually left something out that they expected viewers to pick up on based on what was said afterwards. They’re normally a lot more obvious, because casual viewers cannot be expected to figure anything out for themselves, and those sub-average viewers make up 50% of the total. Ros’s trademarked “sexposition” is one of their little additions to make the show flow smoothly by embellishing boring infodump chatter with (theoretically) appealing nekkidness. From Ros’s words when Theon’s banging her, we can tell that she obvious met Tyrion, and given Ros’s profession, we can safely infer the context of their intercourse.

If you are casting a character as important as Ramsay Snow, you aren't going to have him played by another actor for a pivotal scene and you especially aren't going to let the actor speak any lines. That's just way too confusing if you plan on replacing him with your real Ramsay next season. No one's going to remember Beric Dondarrion because he was in what was an essentially throwaway scene where he appeared for 5 seconds and nodded before leaving not to be heard from for another 2 years. It hasn't even been confirmed that they're recasting that role so it may be the same guy at the end of the day. Regardless, there will be very little confusion since not very many people (outside of hardcore book readers) were paying attention to him back in Season 1. You don't have the same luxury with Ramsay since he's going to be doing something very major in episode 10 that the audience is clearly going to remember him for. You can't just throw another actor into the role next year and expect that to flow naturally. If they had something major for him to do this year, then they would have bit the bullet and cast him for the last episode.

It won't really matter if we don't see his face. We can just have him keep his red helmet on.

i agree. if ramsey isn't going to be seen this season, there's no reason to cast him until he actually does something again in 2 years.

If Ramsay isn't in next season, then neither is Theon. What are the odds that D&D are going to bench Alfie Allen for 2 years?

It's commonly speculated that Theon will be given a mini-arc in Seasons 3 and 4 due to contracting issues with Alfie Allen.

It's commonly speculated that Theon will be given a mini-arc in Seasons 3 and 4 due to contracting issues with Alfie Allen.

That seems pretty likely. I can’t see any way for them to let Alfie off for two whole years.

But what arc is that? The one from Dance? Or a purely invented one?

I wonder whether Martin has any ideas in that direction.

It would be strange for an actor to disappear for two years.

Particularly when they appear as delighted with that actor as they appear to be with Alfie Allen.

On the other hand, it really does llook like we’re going to get a two-year hiatus from seeing Ser Barristan on the screen, considering that there doesn’t seem to be any room to fit Arstan Whitebeard into the second season’s final episode.

I hope and wish I were wrong, but given that Dany isn’t even going to get herself to the House of the Undying until the tenth episode, I find it unlikely that she will get to sail off into the sunset (Astapor is west of Qarth) at the end of this second season. They surely will not want to recast Ian McElhinney, but unless we see him darned soon, he’ll have been gone from the screen for two full years before he reappears.

There is an entire unseen arc that takes place offscreen during the events of SoS with Theon being tortured by Ramsay at the Dreadfort. It's almost tailor-made for HBO and would give a lot of great material for Alfie Allen to work with. It would also go a long way toward establishing how awful Ramsay is.

The minute Roose Bolton announced that he'd be sending his bastard to Winterfell started the clock running on when Ramsay would be revealed (hint: it's not in 2 years).

that was not ros, that was a different whore. tyrion doesn't meet ros until theon suggests her to him, and we never actually see tyrion with ros, we only know that he saw her by theon and ros' subsequent conversations.

What?! Tyrion first scene in the TV series was with Ros. I just checked on HBO go.

It was absolutely Esme Bianco as Ros with Tyrion in the pilot. She's listed in the credits for the episode on IMDB.

What?! Tyrion first scene in the TV series was with Ros. I just checked on HBO go.

i stand corrected. just double checked, you are right. but now the scene with tyrion/theon seems odd.

and that still doesn't make it make any sense that cersei would know about her. did jaime describe the whore who happened to be with tyrion to her in detail for no apparent reason before he (jaime) got captured by robb?

There is an entire unseen arc that takes place offscreen during the events of SoS with Theon being tortured by Ramsay at the Dreadfort. It's almost tailor-made for HBO and would give a lot of great material for Alfie Allen to work with. It would also go a long way toward establishing how awful Ramsay is.

The minute Roose Bolton announced that he'd be sending his bastard to Winterfell started the clock running on when Ramsay would be revealed (hint: it's not in 2 years).

That would be a way to get at least one Greyjoy into season 3.

As things stand , if Swords is the source, they would be no Greyjoy's for S3 or S4!

Yara/Asha would be gone all next season too ... I think Greyjoy stuff from Feash and Dance are going to be advanced.

I don't see how an "arc" where a character is tortured for two seasons is one that's tailor made for HBO, or, really, anyone. If they want Theon in Season 3, they'll have to come up with something more compelling than just showing him get tortured into a shell of his former self. I can't think of anything less pleasant to watch.

And I think a helmeted Ramsay with a few lines like "Burn it down, kill everyone but Greyjoy" would be totally adequate for his purposes this season.

That would be a way to get at least one Greyjoy into season 3. As things stand , if Swords is the source, they would be no Greyjoy's for S3 or S4! Yara/Asha would be gone all next season too ... I think Greyjoy stuff from Feash and Dance are going to be advanced.

I think we'll definitely see Balon's death next season and that the Kingsmoot will be in Season 4. (I think substantial pieces of Feast and maybe Dance will have to be moved to Season 4, because Season 3 will have to contain well more than half of Storm if it's going to have anything happen in it.)

Archived