Man Theon meets with the Hooded Cloak

Mulled Wino

I now love the Davos theory, makes sense for the story(that we know should coclude after 2 more books). Plus we already know that Davos gets things done in a timely manner(unlike most characters). The laugh about the fingers fits too.

I know folks want to see Skagos, but I dont think it's necessary.

Yup. They would also know the secret ways in and out of winterfell as well as how to stay hidden. Davos would be pretty much unrecognizable unlike the blackfish.

I think it's Theon himself. Others have no reason to view him as kinslayer, because Starks weren't related to him. But he must hate himself for killing the people he grew up with.

And yet others do call him kinslayer. One of the spearwives did if I recall correctly.

Davos makes most sense in terms of storytelling:

The battle for Winterfell is supposed to take place early on in TWOW, but it can't be the prologue because of the Theon gift chapter. We need a POV to tell us about the battle, and unless Stannis decides to bring Theon and/or Asha for the battle we don't have any in his camp. Davos being the hooded man would solve this.

Davos makes most sense in terms of storytelling:

The battle for Winterfell is supposed to take place early on in TWOW, but it can't be the prologue because of the Theon gift chapter. We need a POV to tell us about the battle, and unless Stannis decides to bring Theon and/or Asha for the battle we don't have any in his camp. Davos being the hooded man would solve this.

Definitely. It also provides a slick way for GRRM to reveal the identity of the HM to the reader.

Nah, I don't think it is Davos at all. He will be with Rickon and I am sure that will take a good deal of time in Winds of Winter. First, he has to get there, and then Skaagos hasn't exactly been built up like a place where you get in and out easily. He has to find Rickon, and undoubtedly there will be some adventure in that as well, and that will be Davos' tale for now. No way is he the man in Winterfell, that is a very slim chance.

I don't care for the "it's a reflection of Theon" theory either. The man he encounters seems real enough, and somebody has been doing these killings and it sure hasn't been Theon, unless you're assuming that Theon has no idea what the hell he's doing anymore, and I don't think he's in that sort of state. His mind is still pretty clear, considering the situation he's in.

No, far more likely is a Northerner with a good grudge. That could be the Blackfish yes. Could it not also be an old Stark loyal who came to the North to return Ned's bones? Benjen seems unlikely, he is supposed to be in the North. Not impossible, but not as strong a choice I think as the Blackfish or another Northern bannerman in my opinion.

Nah, I don't think it is Davos at all. He will be with Rickon and I am sure that will take a good deal of time in Winds of Winter. First, he has to get there, and then Skaagos hasn't exactly been built up like a place where you get in and out easily. He has to find Rickon, and undoubtedly there will be some adventure in that as well, and that will be Davos' tale for now. No way is he the man in Winterfell, that is a very slim chance.

I don't care for the "it's a reflection of Theon" theory either. The man he encounters seems real enough, and somebody has been doing these killings and it sure hasn't been Theon, unless you're assuming that Theon has no idea what the hell he's doing anymore, and I don't think he's in that sort of state. His mind is still pretty clear, considering the situation he's in.

No, far more likely is a Northerner with a good grudge. That could be the Blackfish yes. Could it not also be an old Stark loyal who came to the North to return Ned's bones? Benjen seems unlikely, he is supposed to be in the North. Not impossible, but not as strong a choice I think as the Blackfish or another Northern bannerman in my opinion.

I won't call it a theory,because there is no evidence,but I have a notion the Hooded man is the Liddle that Bran meets as he is travelling north from Winterfell.

He is knowledgeable about affairs at the Wall (his son is there) and around Winterfell.

He is not physically described,but he seems to feel it's important to have Starks in Winterfell.

He makes reference to ghosts in Winterfell twice.I think as Bran and Co are heading north,he is heading south.He is not in Stannis' host,btw,but he has at least one son in it.

Yes but then we go back to point number 1.

Why is he calling Theon Kinslayer when he knows Bran is alive and that Liddle does know it. Unless he is as stupid as Hoder.

The HM has to be someone who doesn't know what happened.

Its not that Liddle, its not Davos, its not Robett Glover.

If the person knows Bran and Rickon are alive, there is no reason for them to call Theon a kinslayer.

Could be an Ironborn talking about the murder Ironborn at the Moat Caitlin but I doubt it.

Also Davos would not laugh at someone being tortured.

Could be Galbart Glover, could be the Blackfish, could be Howland Reed(though Howland doesn't seem to be a person to laugh at someone being tortured either).

I very much doubt its Benjen, he would have gone to the Wall.

Could me Mance as Mance and not Able or maybe another Wildling, could be an Ironman sour about the Moat.

Personally I am going with the Blackfish or Theon talking to himself. Mainly because I believe Blackfish knows Robb named Jon(yes the whole Jon talk with Jaimie was an act), Jeyne was the real Jeyne and he doesn't know Uncat is lurching about.

Why won't Blackfish be okay with Catelyn returning and taking revenge on the Freys? He is no high septon. Also, like one outlaw is another man's hero. BwB are outlaws to the Iron Throne and the Lannister camp, they are no outlaws to the small folk.

Because its not Catelyn, its a 3 day old walking corpse, insane with hate.

The BWB is broken see aFfC.

Because a band of Outlaws isn't a safe place for a pregant girl.

Because being in the Riverlands with the heir to Winterfell is pointless.

Because he knows he can't rely on the Riverlords because they have already switched sides or have sons as hostages.

Because as he said he is sworn to his King, Uncat and a band of Outlaws aren't the King in the North.

Because he needs an army, to get Edmure and Riverun back.

I don't know how people can keep on saying Benjen would have gone to the Wall ( if he survived ) when we don't know where he's been , who he's talked to or just how urgent " There must always be a Stark in Winterfell " is. We've seen BR and the CotF take a hand in both Sam's and Bran's survival , and influence their actions . That they might have done the same with Benjen is far from out of the question.

I don't say he's the most likely person, but certainly possible.

Why is he calling Theon Kinslayer when he knows Bran is alive and that Liddle does know it. Unless he is as stupid as Hoder.

If the person knows Bran and Rickon are alive, there is no reason for them to call Theon a kinslayer.

Could be an Ironborn talking about the murder Ironborn at the Moat Caitlin but I doubt it.

Could be Galbart Glover, could be the Blackfish, could be Howland Reed(though Howland doesn't seem to be a person to laugh at someone being tortured either).

Could me Mance as Mance and not Able or maybe another Wildling, could be an Ironman sour about the Moat.

Personally I am going with the Blackfish or Theon talking to himself. Mainly because I believe Blackfish knows Robb named Jon(yes the whole Jon talk with Jaimie was an act), Jeyne was the real Jeyne and he doesn't know Uncat is lurching about.

Because he knows he can't rely on the Riverlords because they have already switched sides or have sons as hostages.

Because as he said he is sworn to his King, Uncat and a band of Outlaws aren't the King in the North.

MAybe you will be the first and only Blackfish supporter that will explain how he is at winterfell unnoticed. The majority of troops amd lords would know him on sight and he's not a man who knows the ins and outs of winterfell

MAybe you will be the first and only Blackfish supporter that will explain how he is at winterfell unnoticed. The majority of troops amd lords would know him on sight and he's not a man who knows the ins and outs of winterfell

If what you say is true, why was none of that story included in ADwD? Davos is last seen around pg 400 of ~1200. It's the first time a major POV has ever ended so early. I've yet to see an alternate theory that explains that anomaly.

You're right, he would not laugh at someone being tortured.

But, what I think Davos might laugh at is the discovery that Theon is not that dissimilar from himself in that they have both lost finger bones to the people they so loyally serve.

Abel is singing in the hall when Theon encounters the HM.

I really have no idea as to who it is, but I do have ideas about who it isn't. While I really like the "split personality" idea, I don't think that was Theon's reflection or anything like that. Theon is clearly struggling to remember who he really is, but we haven't seen him split back and forth between personalities so quickly before. It's been a long process over time as he has regained himself. If he suddenly starts flipping back and forth I'd find that weird.

I also don't think it is Davos as I don't think enough time has passed for him to go to Skagos and back and I really think that is where Rickon is.

It definitely could be the Blackfish, but he'd be very recognizable to men who used to fight with Robb and were at Riverrun with him. So, while he was wearing a cloak, he's taking a big risk just being in the castle itself.

I hope this is a mystery that Martin cares to explain to us one day and doesn't just leave us hanging.

I also don't think it is Davos as I don't think enough time has passed for him to go to Skagos and back and I really think that is where Rickon is.

If you add up the time between the meeting between Davos & Manderly and Theon's encounter with the HM, it's about 4 months. Seems like a lot of time to me, especially since Davos probably sailed to Skagos from White Harbour.

I think there's a strong argument to be made for Theon being the HM based just on the details in the text.

Consider:

1. a "hooded cloak" is uncharacteristically vague. Throughout the book, Theon I.D's people, especially speakers, by name (if he knows it) otherwise by sigil, association, job, etc. See pg 161, 259, 537, 538, 605, and others for examples. He never describes anyone else as simply "a man with boots", or a "lady with a hairnet", why not look for identifying signs in a confrontational stranger in the snow? Unless Theon already knows, on some level, who the stranger is.

2. Theon is himself wearing a hooded cloak.

pg 486 (giving Jeyne away at the wedding) Theon wore black and gold, his cloak pinned to his shoulder...But under the hood, his hair was white and thin...

pg 543 Lady Barbery Dustin...looked him up and down, and sniffed. "Those are the same clothes you wore for the wedding"

pg 612 He had no clean clothes, so he wriggled into the same damp rags...

This can also explain the point above. Why bother describing the clothes you've been wearing for weeks?

3. There is an instance of both location and time displacement.

pg 541 Theon begins on the battlements, analyzing Stannis's possible moves, the, by the next page, ends up at the godswood, apparently unaware as to how he got there and why he came.

pg 605. As the garrison broke its fast that morning...the talk was of liitle but the corpse. "Stannis has friends inside the castle," Theon heard a serjeant mutter. He was an old Tallhart man...Men were coming in from the cold...as the midday meal was served...

So six hours elapse in two paragraphs with no exposition. If Theon is displacing time here, it's no so impossible he's hallucinating later.

4. Fits like a glove.

pg 611 He pulled the glove from his left hand.

next page Lady Dustin: "Take off your gloves." Theon glanced up sharply. "Please, no. I...I..."

Why does Theon have no problem voluntarily removing his glove before a stranger to show his maiming (a stranger Theon speculates could be a murderer) and twistedly justify his own continued existence, yet balk at showing lords and lady that already know he's been tortured? He's showing his injuries to a facet of himself.

There's more arguments I want to make involving the HM's use of "kinslayer", but I've gotta go to work now.

My favorite idea is still Harwin, the Winterfell man from the Brotherhood without Banners. Before I get into my case, though, lets examine the other popular theories:

1) The Blackfish. Possible, if he decided to stop at the Wall en route to telling Jon. Unlikely, though (at least to my mind), because there are already the Tully men on their way to the Wall -- legitimately -- who can deliver the message just as well. Also, this is somewhat arbirary, but the Blackfish braving the neck all by himself only to have to cross the entire North with winter arriving, just to deliver a message? Doesn't sound right to me. I think he'll pop up in the Vale.

2) Theon himself. Possible, and I loved the idea when I first heard it, but when I re-read the scene, it sounds to me like a real person he meets. The dialog is too normal, or something. Still, it's a good explanation for Little Walder's death. My bigger problem with this is that it doesn't really go anywhere. Theon's already left Winterfell and already started to reclaim the name Theon without any additional attention to possible breakdown in this way. I feel like we would have seen more hints by the end of ADWD is that's where things were going. And maybe it's a failure of imagination on my part, but I also can't really see where else you could take that story now.

3) Howland Reed. Eh, sounds gimmicky to me. Possible I guess, but doesn't he still have sort of a lot to worry about further south? Can't rule it out, but it seems way too out of left field for me.

4) Whoresbane. This is my second favorite theory, because it's so elegant. He didn't have to sneak in, because he's supposed to be in Winterfelll, but he has to sneak around, because his collusion with the other Umbers can't be discovered. Roose already suspects his allegiance, and he really only has to do enough feigning of loyalty to keep the Greatjon from being killed. And as someone explained, his earlier disgust with Theon at the Dreadfort can substitute a kind of disgusted disbelief about Theon still being alive for genuine surprise. Yet another good candidate for killing Little Walder (and yes, I'm well aware that Big Walder is the most likely candidate, even though I think Martin could have just blown it with the frozen blood thing). He certainly wants to see Freys killed, and he's seen enough of Ramsay to be willing to take out a Ramsay protege.

5) Davos. I agree with others that not enough time has past, and that we'll get Davos chapters about his journey to Skaagos and his time there. He wouldn't recognize Theon, or particularly care whether he was alive or not. I just don't see this one. Davos will report to Wylis at White Harbor when he's got Rickon. Wyman is on a revenge mission that does not depend on the outcome of Davos' trip and that he knows will probably get him killed. The promise is the support of White Harbor's forces, not mayhem inside the wedding. Wyman is doing the latter for his own reasons; Wylis can accomplish the former.

6) Some Glover or some other dissident Northerner. Maybe. Would they both recognize Theon and be surprised he's still alive? How did they sneak into Winterfell? Robett Glover could have been secretly smuggled in by Manderly, I guess. Galbart might be headed home after his trip to Greywater Watch either succeeded or failed, and I could see him taking refuge there. But Robett should know (from Manderly) that Theon is still alive and I don't really see why Galbart would be able to sneak in. Doesn't feel right, but I suppose it's a possibility.

7) Hallis Mollen. Getting warmer again. Is known to be headed to Winterfell, would recognize Theon, and would be surprised he still lives. Knows Winterfell, so might be able to sneak in. However, Lady Dustin is so confident she can intercept him and that he's presented as not particularly clever. If Dustin's allegiance is a little uneven, as many have speculated, might she have offered to help sneak Mollen into Winterfell to take revenge on the Freys/Boltons in exchange for dumping Ned's bones in the swamp? Would he take that bargain? I don't know enough about him. It seems a little like he might be too honorable, but that's a pretty vague impression that's not really based on anything. And if he were greeted by overwhelming force, is there any point in dying for Ned Stark's bones, if they're just going to be dumped anyway?

8) And now Harwin. A lot of people have reacted to this one like it's out of left field also, but I don't think it really is. Yes, it would seem that the Brotherhood knows that Ramsay is marrying a fake, so I can see why some think that Cat wouldn't send anyone on such a long, dangerous trip. But didn't she see Roose (or at least his pink cape) killing Robb? And aren't they planning a Red Wedding of their own against the Freys? Why not get the Boltons too?

And who else would you send, if you're Cat, but your Winterfell man? Unlike the Blackfish, he's a had a good bit of time to get to Winterfell since the last we heard of him. A small band of the Brotherhood, led by Harwin, would have a good chance at sneaking in, and would know how to hide once they did. They would have every motivation to kill Little Walder, and they could keep on picking people off now that the spearwives have been caught. The story possibilities of the Brotherhood being inside Winterfell causing further havoc are pretty fun.

My Hooded Man likelihood power rankings:

1) Harwin

2) Whoresbane

3) Hallis Mollen

4) Theon himself

5) The Blackfish

6) Galbart Glover

7) Robett Glover

8) Someone else

9) Howland Reed

10) Davos

Well as I said,there is no proof its the Liddle but the encounter with Bran's party was strange.He did not ask,nor was he informed about Rickon.So the kinslayer part could still be applicable.

I'm still in the Davos camp.

1. We don't know about the timeline. But if Osha and Rickon got shipwrecked on Skagos without wanting to go there, they could have been hiding near the wreck. Could explain Shaggydog fighting the one-horned goat. He's hunting for them. Anyway, if they didn't move from where they stranded, Davos could get there, pick them up and return. With his connections amongst pirates it is reasonable he knows whom to ask where a direwolf was shipped to and he will get the answers as well.

2. After delivering Rickon to White Harbor he would probably go to meet Stannis. But Davos doesn't know where Stannis is, except maybe that Stannis is heading for Winterfell. Since Davos is not that knowledgeable of the north AFAIK it would make sense to go to Winterfell and wait for Stannis nearby.

3. Assuming Davos does this he could sneak into Winterfell with other guests for the wedding. He's not that known in the north and would be able to go unrecognized under a hood.

4. Meeting Theon. Davos knows that Theon didn't kill Bran and Rickon. But everyone else in Winterfell assumes Theon did. Davos has to keep his cover and play along (that goes for every other candidate).

5. Storytelling arguments I posted before.

6. If Davos managed to contact Manderley and informed him, that would give Manderley the go for what he does: his son and Rickon in White Harbor it is time to avenge Robb and get rid of the Boltons.

Archived