where are you on the global fat scale?

BigFatCoward

14?! Jeebus. Isn't 18.5 considered the lower limit? I know that BMI isn't super accurate, but I'm pretty sure that is not healthy any way you cut it...

Many people with eating disorders are hospitalised with higher BMIs than that. There is no way that is healthy.

unfortunately you were the person that lost me the bet, but not the person who i had the bet with. i'm still waiting for S john to screw me with my new board name. but thanks very much, i thought law enforcement officers would stick together.

Oops sorry for my confusion!

As for the bolded part, I think this falls into the pratical joke category that doesn't seem to have any limits at all at police departments in the US.

Without claiming to have any knowledge on the subject, isn't BMI measured more accurately by a BMI scale? Such scales provide a bioelectrical impedance analysis in addition to weight/height/age. You have to be careful how hydrated you are at the time of measuring, as this can seriously impact the results, but if you follow the instructions the result should be much more accurate than the simple weight/height/age function.

Thing is, I had my BMI measured with such scales by a professional gym trainer a few years back. I was actively working out for muscle mass back then (the measurement was performed ~1y after I started working out, 3-4 times a week). The result was 5 BMI. I still remember the look of horror on the trainer's face.

I haven't been working out for nearly two years now, result is my weight has dropped by 4-5kgs. Now this test tells me my BMI is 17. The 2-3 years and 5kgs cannot account for this difference. Obviously one test is in error and I doubt it's the bioelectrical one.

Just as a point of reference, a friend of mine had the bioelectrical test performed on him too, he is my age, weights ~100kg, height ~2.02 and is made almost entirely of muscle (he takes no bodybuilding supplements) - his BMI was 10-12 iirc.

Without claiming to have any knowledge on the subject, isn't BMI measured more accurately by a BMI scale? Such scales provide a bioelectrical impedance analysis in addition to weight/height/age. You have to be careful how hydrated you are at the time of measuring, as this can seriously impact the results, but if you follow the instructions the result should be much more accurate than the simple weight/height/age function.

Thing is, I had my BMI measured with such scales by a professional gym trainer a few years back. I was actively working out for muscle mass back then (the measurement was performed ~1y after I started working out, 3-4 times a week). The result was 5 BMI. I still remember the look of horror on the trainer's face.

I haven't been working out for nearly two years now, result is my weight has dropped by 4-5kgs. Now this test tells me my BMI is 17. The 2-3 years and 5kgs cannot account for this difference. Obviously one test is in error and I doubt it's the bioelectrical one.

Just as a point of reference, a friend of mine had the bioelectrical test performed on him too, he is my age, weights ~100kg, height ~2.02 and is made almost entirely of muscle (he takes no bodybuilding supplements) - his BMI was 10-12 iirc.

You are very confused. You have mixed up BMI and body fat percentages.

As wikipedia says, BMI is ok for populations (or groups, as it were). There are lots of caveats presumably....that I know nothing of.

Of course, using it for individuals is foolhardy. But in the context of this thread, since national averages were chosen, it should be ok as a fun conversation piece, nothing more.

What is the latest indicator that has been added to the list - taking your height, dividing by 2, and and then checking your waist size? Your waist measurement should be less than half your height. I think someone mentioned it up thread but I'm too lazy to look (well, I'm just going out). Don't think it has a name, it's just an indicator you should pay attention too, since fat around the waist is the worst kind.

ETA: Just to clarify, your waist being half your height is not some kind of ideal as the right size, it should be less than half your height as an indicator you are not carrying excess fat on your internal organs, because that's where the excess fat starts depositing itself, and if your waist size is higher than half your height you should work on getting rid of that fat. Your waist can be a lot less than half and you are healthy.

That, like BMI, is probably only a very general indicator. The best (most accurate) measurement of fat vs lean is hydrostatic body fat testing. It can be expensive, but it's incredibly accurate. The electic current stuff can be way off, and depends a lot on the accuracy of the machine being used. The guy who said he was 5% body fat, per his trainer's device? He'd be dead. 10% body fat is the lowest that people can be, and that's for a limited period of time, like bodybuilders before a competition, or runners before a race. It can only really be sustained for a few weeks.

According to wikipedia the lowest safe percentage of body fat is different for men and women - 10% for women, 5% for men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

That, like BMI, is probably only a very general indicator. The best (most accurate) measurement of fat vs lean is hydrostatic body fat testing. It can be expensive, but it's incredibly accurate. The electic current stuff can be way off, and depends a lot on the accuracy of the machine being used. The guy who said he was 5% body fat, per his trainer's device? He'd be dead. 10% body fat is the lowest that people can be, and that's for a limited period of time, like bodybuilders before a competition, or runners before a race. It can only really be sustained for a few weeks.

On stage bodybuilders are a fair bit lower than 10%.

Fragile Bird - based on THAT - my waist should be 34 inches (34.5, sigh, my height in inches is 69, damnit).

It's actually about 25 inches, although, really, that's my hipbones.

And my body fat has been as low as 3-4%. And it's always below 10%. In water, I don't float. I can't float - my neutral point is about 3 feet deep.

That percentage, btw, isn't a brag, it just is.

Fragile Bird - based on THAT - my waist should be 34 inches (34.5, sigh, my height in inches is 69, damnit).

It's actually about 25 inches, although, really, that's my hipbones.

And my body fat has been as low as 3-4%. And it's always below 10%. In water, I don't float. I can't float - my neutral point is about 3 feet deep.

That percentage, btw, isn't a brag, it just is.

I can't comprehend a male being that skinny. Wow.

Nobody can, actually. People consistently over estimate my weight by 20 pounds or so (and my age by 10years or so, lol).

During summer, it's a plus, heat is rarely a problem. During winter, or even spring and fall, it blows.

Archived