where are you on the global fat scale?

BigFatCoward

BMI is so stupid. I put in my numbers from when I was a high school wrestler at 6% body fat and my BMI would have been 24, which is on the edge of overweight. That is just retarded to me. I lost about 15 pounds from a very lean body to wrestle a lower weight and I would have been almost overweight. Are you f'ing kidding me? We get medically certified, meaning a doctor comes in and measures body fat and tells us the lowest weight we could go to. If I went to the lowest medically certified weight that year my BMI would have been 23. Which is still on the high end of normal, close to overweight. At that time I was from Honduras.

Now I have put on a few pounds and I am proud to be an honorary Samoan.

BMI is so stupid. I put in my numbers from when I was a high school wrestler at 6% body fat and my BMI would have been 24, which is on the edge of overweight. That is just retarded to me. I lost about 15 pounds from a very lean body to wrestle a lower weight and I would have been almost overweight. Are you f'ing kidding me? We get medically certified, meaning a doctor comes in and measures body fat and tells us the lowest weight we could go to. If I went to the lowest medically certified weight that year my BMI would have been 23. Which is still on the high end of normal, close to overweight. At that time I was from Honduras.

Now I have put on a few pounds and I am proud to be an honorary Samoan.

Well I scored a 24 and I am not borderline overweight. I had to get routine physicals for my job and nobody sane would ever accuse me of that in my current condition. I think even if I gained 10 or 15 lbs, I still wouldn't be... so a lot depends on your frame. If my BMI were one or two points lower I'd be jump around in the shower to get wet skinny

Meanwhile, my dad is maybe 2 inches taller than me but outweighs me by 50lbs or so and maybe I'd say he's borderline overweight, he could probably stand to shed 5 or 10, but he's not someone you'd pick out of a line-up as being heavy by any means.

I did mine again pretending that I gained 10 lbs and I'd be a Samoan as well.

BMI is so stupid. I put in my numbers from when I was a high school wrestler at 6% body fat and my BMI would have been 24, which is on the edge of overweight.

Doesn't this just mean that if you are an active athlete you can forget about it, but for the rest of the population it's probably a good indication of fatness? ;)

Obesity Index

21bmi

BMI is an estimate of how "overweight" or "obese" a person is

National

Below average

You have a lower BMI than 85% of females aged 15-29 in your country

Global

Below average

You have a lower BMI than 60% of females aged 15-29 in the world

Did you know? If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 35,192,090 tonnes from the total weight of the world's population

You're most like someone from Chad*

Micronesia!

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 103,623,321 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population

Whoops!

You have a higher BMI(32) than 99% of males aged 15-29 in your country. This means I win right? Top 1%!

BMI of 28, making me significantly overweight compared to the global average and my national average (UK). Apparently I am most like someone from Croatia.

Goddamn, but BMI is a shit measurment. Why is it still used in any serious context? Even something as simple as measuring waist circumference is still more useful than BMI.

22 BMI, from Ukraine.

I put my husband and I both in, we both got 22 but I was like a Liberian and he was someone from Chad (Chadian?)

Well I scored a 24 and I am not borderline overweight. I had to get routine physicals for my job and nobody sane would ever accuse me of that in my current condition. I think even if I gained 10 or 15 lbs, I still wouldn't be... so a lot depends on your frame. If my BMI were one or two points lower I'd be jump around in the shower to get wet skinny

I do think these numbers are notoriously inadequate. they don't account for muscle mass vs fat and frame size and that sorta thing. I try not to think about them too much! :)

Doesn't this just mean that if you are an active athlete you can forget about it, but for the rest of the population it's probably a good indication of fatness? ;)

Maybe. I still think it is really annoying that they are going to tell people they are fat based solely on height and weight.

This is kind of funny. Is this guy fat? His BMI is 36. I know that may be extreme but it is still helps show the flaw with BMI.

Sadly this doesn't take into account my belly fat, which I need to get rid of to be healthy.

Your numbers

Obesity Index

National

Below average You have a lower BMI than 83% of males aged 30-44 in your country

Global

Below average You have a lower BMI than 51% of males aged 30-44 in the world

Did you know?

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 3,253,049 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population

You're most like someone from Kyrgyzstan*

Archived