Fictional Places And Characters That You Wish Were Real .

Bronson

What fictional place and person do you wish were real?

None. All my favorites are bleak despressing places.

Sure, after Book 7 would be fine, but I Feel like if we choose we have to choose during the timeline's that are presented, which I guess wasn't stated in the OP, so, sure.

The 7th HP book included the epilogue chapter Nineteen Years Later which clearly showed peace had returned to Rowling's world and is part of the series.

But Amber would be a whole lot cooler.

I have a personal preference for Julian May's Galactic Milieu

Also, I'd like to visit Ankh-Morpork with Rincewind as guide. Maybe spend a season studying biology in Bas-Lag. I'd love to farcast around pre-Hyperion fall empire. Maybe slpyh into Dickland and kick Richard Rahl in the nuts. But mostly, I'd like to go drinking with Fiddler, Quick Ben, and Kalam.

KSR's Mars. There is plenty of conflict, but things generally turn out all right.

Sergyar, in the Bujold novels. Exploration, dangerous ecology, and the opportunity to help shape a new world. I really wish Bujold would write some novels about exactly that. Her Shards of Honor wasn't enough.

Vulcan, in Star Trek. It's only logical.

Virga, in Karl Schroeder's Virga series. It's a zero-gravity steam-punk fullerene-bubble world hidden away from a post-singularity universe. Only want to visit though. I couldn't handle the politics, except to rebel against it.

West Wing is a great answer!

For me, Inspector Armand Gamache from the Three Pines mystery series by Louise Penny. For some reason, this character strikes me more deeply than any other protagonist I've ever read. I actually had to stop reading the series for awhile because Penny started being mean to him. I've told many people that, if he were real, I'd happily push his wife under a bus so that he'd be single again. ;)

The Culture. Promiscuous sex, A.I. chaperons, long life in whatever body, wildest dreams come true..........yeah, I'll say Culture.

It's a good choice, although it does have the disadvantage that I find most Culture citizens we meet to be irritating.

"They can keep their Heaven. When I die, I'd sooner go to Middle Earth." - George R. R. Martin

What a thing it would be walk in Rivendell, or see a peaceful, orcless Moria, or see the sun set behind Minas Tirith.

Having a few rounds of wine or tea with Gandalf, Faramir, Tyrion and Benedict of Amber would be quite the experience as well.

Archived