College Football 2012 III - Will Geno Break 400 TDs?

WrathOfTinyKittens

man, what a game. never thought in only his second year Muschamp would have us to the point of wearing down LSU. we had their defense on the ropes that entire second half. last 22 plays of the game were runs. Gillislee ran 34 times in the game, not once for negative yardage. it sure doesn't look like typical Florida football, but i'll be damned if all the things Muschamp said he wanted when we hired him aren't starting to show. we're a super-tough team. still haven't given up a 4th quarter point all year. new strength coach Dillman was an incredible hire.

Go Gators!

check out the crowd dive in the locker room at about 1 minute - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8SIQAC3IEA&feature=youtu.be

I see an interesting relationship developing here. GO GATORS!!!CHOMP CHOMP. Sorry, still giddy and dehydrated.

This deep into the season? What, all of 6 games? Wow. Yes, they made it a total of 6 games before shitting the bed. I expect multiple bad losses this year too.

Also, Oregon got a smidgen lucky against Washington in that they had some huge unforced errors, but that's also a lot of what Oregon does; the pressure Oregon's offense puts on other offenses to keep up hurts them, and the Oregon D still came to play. Better tackling, better pressure would be good. But otherwise? About as good of a win against Washington as I can remember. 31 points, not even that close, and solid on offense and defense. Special teams not great and a weakness. Mariota isn't great right now but the team around him is about as good as it's ever been. This might be the best overall team Oregon's ever fielded, better than last year or the year before. LMJ was a better RB, DT was a better QB - but the team is significantly better overall.

Second half of the season is a lot harder. Arizona State is going to be a test, though having an extra 3-4 days to prep is going to be money; I wouldn't bet against Kelly having almost an extra week.

Bronn - I'm glad I hedged. I do feel that I was right that Cal was really up for this game. Maynard threw an atrocity of a pick early but then played one of his best games ever as a Bear. Hundley regressed a bit. Props to Cal and Tedford. They needed it. Man, does that stadium look amazing.

Hundley missed some of the most wide open guys I've ever seen. He was a beast running the ball, but when he tried to throw it, he looked like a beast - the kind of beast who can't throw.

Yeah - scar is almost certainly #3. Wvu barely beat Texas. Scar soundly crushed #5 Georgia. Better win, higher ranking and sec. Hard to beat that.

And sure, trisk. I say they lose at least two more. Technically I could be right if they lose just one more, but we will make it interesting.

HP,

You think #8 WVU's win over #11 Texas will jump them over #6 South Carolina's win over #5 Georgia? I don't know that we have the consitency to be #3 but based on where teams were on last weeks top 25 I will not be surprised if South Carolina is at #3 later today.

For some reason I overlooked South Carolina when looking at the rankings...It looks like #4. I think they will still jump Kansas St.

the missouri vanderbilt game was interesting. Missouri had control over the game for the first couple possessions. They drove down the field easily, Vandy got some nice stops in the red zone, so we took field goals. At the same time, Missouri's defense had no trouble stopping Vanderbilt.

Then everything went pear shaped. Missouri's offense came out and our backup QB was running the offense. Huh? the broadcast then said that James Franklin left the sideline and went into the locker room.

What?

Nothing happened to him on the field? He'd been hit a few times, but iirc, not sacked, the broadcast showed that he'd been hit once, knocked onto his shoulder, but that was it. and he'd finished that drive and we scored off it. On the other hand, Franklin is notorious for refusing any drugs to allow him to play when he probably shouldn't be playing (Connor Shaw he is not), so I guess he just decided to leave? What a teammate.

And he was out for the rest of the game, Berkestresser--who won the game for us against Arizona State--came in and played terribly for the next two quarters. He finally got in rhythm near the end of the game, but first his terrible play resulted in Missouri pinned on the one yard line to punt the ball away, and the genius center snapped the ball a couple feet over the punter's head--safety.

after a few back and forth 3 and outs Vandy managed to get a TD in. Missouri came back with a field goal and tied it. More back and forth, eventually Vandy got a TD, Berkestresser got lucky and Missouri got a TD. And then Missouri missed the extra point because the genius center threw the ball into the ground rather than into the hands of the setter. Vandy got a FG and Missouri was able to drive down the field when it counted but couldn't win the game or get a completion with 4 downs on the 20 for Berke to work with.

How stupid was it for Blaine Gabbert's little brother to transfer when Franklin was named starter instead of Gabbert?

In any event, sounds like Franklin is a smart guy, but not much of a team player, he's thinking about an NFL career he won't have. Pinkle's long term best bet at this point is just to scrap the season, bench Franklin and let Berkestresser take over as first string, it will pay off in 2013.

Well we're number 4 in the AP. Vandy next week and then on to get killed by South Carolina at home. I am not cautiously optimistic about that one. They may not score as many against us as against Georgia, but our offense is suspect. Waiting for Coaches Poll.

How exactly does a team blow a 10 point lead, 7 minutes left on the clock, with the opponent at 3rd & 19 from their own 3 yard line?

How about giving up a 40 yard desperation heave on said 3rd & 19, then completely shitting the bed giving up back to back 25 yard runs. Oh, and then not only --- wait for it --- going for it on 4th and inches from your own 40 yard line leading by 4 with 3 minutes left in the game, but running the same exact fucking read option BS call you just ran the last play for virtually no gain. An option read, straight up the middle, two plays in a row with the game and season on the line, to a 170 lb RB playing on a gimpy ankle.

Usually I can sleep on a bad loss and feel better about it the next day, but not this one. This could spell the difference between a hugely improbable winning season, and the same 3-4 win shit of the last couple of years. Sickening.

damn, a top 5 team again. gotta say i wasn't thinking this after bowling green in week one, but i'm on board with Muschamp 100% now. it's an interesting contrast to the Zook years, which i was afraid we were reliving after last year. both are a mile a minute, but when Champ talks you can tell that first and foremost, the knows what he's talking about. Zook spouted shit that never made any sense, followed by several "we're getting better and better" empty quotes. that shit gets old when you are in fact not getting any better. and Muschamp kept harping about "fixing" things over and over, and throughout last year it seemed like he could be full of shit, as the stupid things like turnovers and dumb penalties and folding in the 4th quarter never seemed to get better. but this year it's all bearing fruit.

we've still got a lot to improve on, which i think is good in early October. and we'll never win a shoot out, though i don't really think it's possible to get in a shootout with us. we're controlling the clock and playing sick defense. all i know is there is no one left on our schedule i'm afraid of, which is nice. only leaving the state one more time (next week) is also nice.

Go Gators!

Baitac,

You've got a good team and no game in the Swamp is ever fun for the visitors. Never forget South Carolina has a history of losing small games right after winning big ones. LSU is going to be out for blood next week.

Yikes. You are going to have one angry ass tiger to deal with. That being said, LSU is a very good team. They played extremely well until the fourth quarter when they tired up. I think that what you get this weekend is very similar to what you are going to get with us. Big D, iffy offense. I still think you are for real this year and will be prepared for the game. As usual, you have a God-awful schedule, but so do we. Again, if you come to G'ville, let me know so I can say hello. :)

damn, a top 5 team again. gotta say i wasn't thinking this after bowling green in week one, but i'm on board with Muschamp 100% now. it's an interesting contrast to the Zook years, which i was afraid we were reliving after last year. both are a mile a minute, but when Champ talks you can tell that first and foremost, the knows what he's talking about. Zook spouted shit that never made any sense, followed by several "we're getting better and better" empty quotes. that shit gets old when you are in fact not getting any better. and Muschamp kept harping about "fixing" things over and over, and throughout last year it seemed like he could be full of shit, as the stupid things like turnovers and dumb penalties and folding in the 4th quarter never seemed to get better. but this year it's all bearing fruit.

we've still got a lot to improve on, which i think is good in early October. and we'll never win a shoot out, though i don't really think it's possible to get in a shootout with us. we're controlling the clock and playing sick defense. all i know is there is no one left on our schedule i'm afraid of, which is nice. only leaving the state one more time (next week) is also nice.

Go Gators!

You see, I always had a soft spot for Zook as a person. He just wanted it sooo bad and he was a dedicated coach. Our program was just too big for him. Yes, his suckness at special teams should have been a warning, but when the god that was (and is) Steve Spurrier quits during recruiting season (not the nicest of all quits, but I guess they never are). You are stuck with the dregs. I think we all knew that he had three years to succeed or he was out. Yes, he had a pressured speech, but on the other handI cannot imagine what it would feel like to step in the shoes of the most iconic Gator ever.

As to Muschamp, he can have a wild-eyed look and frantic speech patterns, but we went to the Gator Gathering last year (his first) and he is way more normal and he knows what he's talking about. In last year's poster he did have a little bit of crazy-eyed look. I like his offensive style. It just takes time to for teams to adjust. I am super happy for Mike Gillisley. He is finally being showcased as a Senior. Meyer's option underutilized him. Driscoll is a fantastic young QB. He'll learn a lot this year and will be even better next year.

Go Gators!!! Beat Vandy!!

Baitac,

My prior post was poorly phrased. I do not mean to suggest the LSU game is a minor on. LSU at home scares the crap out of me. What I'm refering to is South Carolina's habit of losing games it should win after big wins. I remember the loss to Navy in 1984 when we were #2 in the nation. I remember losing to Kentucky after beating #1 Alabama the week before. Winning tends to go to Gamecock Teams head far too soon. The real test is mental staying focused for every single game regardless of who we are playing.

When we can do that for a full season I'll be impressed.

Baitac,

My prior post was poorly phrased. I do not mean to suggest the LSU game is a minor on. LSU at home scares the crap out of me. What I'm refering to is South Carolina's habit of losing games it should win after big wins. I remember the loss to Navy in 1984 when we were #2 in the nation. I remember losing to Kentucky after beating #1 Alabama the week before. Winning tends to go to Gamecock Teams head far too soon. The real test is mental staying focused for every single game regardless of who we are playing.

When we can do that for a full season I'll be impressed.

Not a problem. I knew what you meant. Watch us lose to Vandy. Been there done that. I still think you are for real this year. That'll be a heck of a game. :)

Triskele,

Baton Rouge is never an easy venue. I'm also nervous about the Swamp.

Glad to see WVU won. I've always had a soft spot for the Mountaineers.

I knew I liked you for some reason, Scot. :smoking: Its funny cause since the Orange Bowl, lots of South Carolina fans seem to have developed a small soft spot for the Mountaineers. At least as far as fan message boards can be an indication of such things.

As I complained about the WVU / Texas game was on during the wedding reception, but many a resourceful Mountaineers fan was watching it on the iphone so I was able to semi-keep up with it. I'm watching a replay of the game now. Couldn't have asked for a better football weekend as a WVU fan:

- beat Texas @ Texas in first ever Big 12 road game

- 3 teams ranked ahead lose, jump two others after big win

- Virginia Tech lost again

- Pitt didn't play

- Now ranked in top 5

Not bad, not bad. Just gotta keep rolling.

I really cannot believe that FSU lost either. I think they would beat NC State 19 out of 20 times.

Unfortuantely this is the typical FSU loss of the last few years. They really do have an attitude of playing to the opponent. I figured even in this game it wouldn't be stellar, but that they would win like last week - a final score making it more reasonable but still be a little iffy. Nope...whole lots of iffy that just played them out of any shot at a title game.

To be crystal clear - fsu has started 5-0 in each of the last 4 seasons. And in each, they have lost to a unranked road team in their 6th game. They've lost to an unranked team I believe at least once every season since 1999.

Archived