US Politics: The Morning After

Xray the Enforcer

I'm curious to see what lessons the Republican Party takes from this. I would hope it means they see they must be consisent with regard to small government prinicples and equal protection of law, but I doubt it.

I really hope they stop seeing the religious right as the guarantee of victory. Thankfully the fundamentalist right is on the wane.

You left out the word "Pill" in your title, Martha.

Won't need that with the state-mandated gay sex, man.

Waking up to the rest of the election results was a glorious thing. Four states set to either recognize same-sex marriage or, in the case of MN, axe an amendment that would have banned it. First openly gay senator elected. Asshats losing their seats right and left (it appears that if someone is legitimately awful enough, the voters have a way of shutting the whole thing down).

I guess we'll see where the next few years take us.

I dragged myself in eventually. Got to listen to someone on the bus tell her colleague all about how Obama won "by like 5 votes2, with 210 total, but lost the popular vote.

Ooh! Me too! I heard someone on the train, in the worst american accent*, going "He only won because has has ______________, and he loves the arabs because he is an arab," and she repeated the ______________ like four times and I never managed to catch what she was saying, and now it will haunt me forever. The black vote? The secret support of the illuminati? Charisma? What was she so upset about Obama having?

Aussies! So they have a weird system? Is it regional? Do kangaroos get a vote?

*I mean, a really American accent. There's something about it that manages to cut through everyone else's conversation and stand out in a public place. The nasality, or the contrast with the surrounding semitic noise or something. I'm not even being nasty to Americans, it really is a function of the twang. If i'm speaking english and my accent is leaning really american for some reason, I have to catch myself and keep talking more quietly.

curious to see what lessons the Republican Party takes from this.

my thoughts exactly. in face of total strategic defeat, do you reassess, revise, resubmit? or do you double down on the crazy?

Strategize a way to steal the Latino vote (i.e. immigration reform) and stop the abortion/ rape nonsense. One of those is probably enough to help the republicans win in 2016 and 2020 barring something catastrophic.

*I mean, a really American accent. There's something about it that manages to cut through everyone else's conversation and stand out in a public place. The nasality, or the contrast with the surrounding semitic noise or something. I'm not even being nasty to Americans, it really is a function of the twang. If i'm speaking english and my accent is leaning really american for some reason, I have to catch myself and keep talking more quietly.

You mean a Southern accent? The U.S. is big and doesn't have a singular accent.

Aussies! So they have a weird system? Is it regional? Do kangaroos get a vote?

We're having an election probably late next year. Our system is unique but not really weird, lower house with preferential voting, upper house proportional (but weighted in favour of low-population states). No marsupials.

And I don't think it will be particularly interesting or geopolitically significant.

Isn't India voting sometime next year? That could be important.

Two interesting observations that I have just heard on MSNBC:

1. The meeting of Obama and Christie was a seminal moment in not only the election but in US politics going forward.

2. The election shows that the American people want cooperation. Cooperation is the new "black" (I don't think he meant that has a pun, lol). The pundits on this morning really believe a new era of cooperation is about to start.

Sleep is a bourgeouise invention. When's the next interesting election? Any chance of the UK government falling apart? Come to think of it, when does India vote again? It's been a while, hasn't it?

Just so you never run out of elections: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_electoral_calendar_2012

I looking forward to the Sammarinese election myself :laugh:

Archived