US Politics: The Morning After

Xray the Enforcer

For Greywolf's question in last thread:

Just heard NH is the first state whose delegation is all women? Is that accurate?

Yes. Two female Senators, two female Reps, and a female governor to boot. My fiancee's parents are particularly jazzed that Carol Shea-Porter defeated Guinta. They live in NH, in the same town Romney has one of his vacation homes.

Did Romney win a single state in which he owns a home? I guess he must, assuming he has a house in Utah? The man is just not likeable.

The Puerto Rico referendum is two parts - the first question is whether the voter wants a change to the status quo, and the second part is what change is wanted. The question is still close with a small fraction of precincts reporting. The third question is not close - if voters want a change, they want statehood.

So, it's not being reported because there is not, as of yet, any story to report.

It's 54.2% against the status quo with 99.7% counted. Doesn't seem that close to me.

I've been beaten down by a cold all week so I went to bed last night around 10:30 when Obama had 257 and it looked pretty safe. I was woken in the middle of the night by a cacophony of car horns. I wasn't even mad. I just smiled, coughed a lot, smiled and eventually fell back asleep.

I think Obama needs to identify and usher in a successor over the next few years. I really want us to consolidate our political direction.

This indicates upwards of 95% of the vote being in.

Oh good. Couldn't find that in any English language source - thanks!

So on to the second issue? Is that a real vote in favor of statehood when a single-question ballot would show a plurality in favor of the status quo?

Ha ha ha ha, now that they've lost, all of a sudden Fox News bobbleheads are expressing deep concern about electronic voting machines.

Hey assholes: Diebold. Fuck you fuck you fuck you, you lying scumbags. May you wander in the political desert gnawing on your livers and wailing and gnashing your teeth for the next forty years.

FOXNews is a great source of amusement and sour grapes.

Still peddling the myth that Obama never reached across the aisle in 4 years--We sincerely hope that he will make the effort that he never did in his first term to cooperate with republicans, etc, etc.

Oh good. Couldn't find that in any English language source - thanks!

So on to the second issue? Is that a real vote in favor of statehood when a single-question ballot would show a plurality in favor of the status quo?

I don't really see how you can say the bolded?

FOXNews is a great source of amusement and sour grapes.

Still peddling the myth that Obama never reached across the aisle in 4 years--We sincerely hope that he will make the effort that he never did in his first term to cooperate with republicans, etc, etc.

It was pretty amazing to see Fox News disrupt their coverage and physically visit their polling data room because a SuperPac talking head they had on suggested Ohio was too close to call.

So, the "Republican" tweets centering on the theme of moving to Australia has to be a bit of pre-organized trolling, right? A destination that just happens to have a female, atheist, very left-wing (at least by our standards) PM seems a suspiciously unanimous choice of destination for the petulant. I buy the stupidity but not the apparent unanimity.

ETA: If Republicans are looking for a country that matches their sensibilities to move to, I hear Iran is nice this time of year.

yeah, raidne is a sourpuss this morning!

Oh come on, that quote you pulled from freerepublic, in context, still says we, white, property-owning men of America, should nominate a woman or a black man so we can siphon off some votes from the simple-minded identity voters from the lesser demographic groups and buy that second yacht. Total hail mary notion there - that you can have immigration policies that are more about anti-Latino sentiment than about immigration (if you start thinking about the Spanish language when you think "immigration" this includes you, reader), anti-abortion policies that are more anti-woman than anti-abortion, and "pro-family" policies that are anti-gay family as long as you slap a black face or a vagina on it.

I've been beaten down by a cold all week so I went to bed last night around 10:30 when Obama had 257 and it looked pretty safe. I was woken in the middle of the night by a cacophony of car horns. I wasn't even mad. I just smiled, coughed a lot, smiled and eventually fell back asleep.

In the Columbia Heights neighborhood of DC, we experienced 14 rounds of celebratory gunfire from a high-caliber handgun, but I have a miserable cold also and slept through it.

I'm curious to see what lessons the Republican Party takes from this. I would hope it means they see they must be consisent with regard to small government prinicples and equal protection of law, but I doubt it.

I really hope they stop seeing the religious right as the guarantee of victory. Thankfully the fundamentalist right is on the wane.

I always thought main goal of the Repuplican party is to make sure the rich and powerful get more and to make the lower classes pay and die for it?

To me the Repuplicans seem to be an incredible successful party with ability to convince countless people to vote against their own best interests.

I always explained it with the fact that the American fundamentalist version of Jesus(He who hates many people and approves of killing) makes them do it but if what you say is true than that is not the reason.

I can't warp my head around the idea that less government control is good for the majority of the people. The countries were money rules even more than the US tend to be rather horrible places to live from my point of view. To be honest I think that the US is nice place to visit but a really horrible place to live for the common man, there are few countries where I encountered more poverty in my travels(Maybe because I prefer to roam around and do not stick to the touristy areas).

I understand that many people in the US think that everybody can get rich if they work hard enough but I think that's bullshit.

Might be my eurocommie upbringing but I think when people get rich someone else did not get their fair share.

Of course we all benefit from the fact that other people do not get their fair share and that is the reason why people are reluctant to change things.

However few belong to the people who are on top of the system and it makes not sense to vote for someone who worked in management consulting a job with the purpose to make rich people richer and destroy the livelihood of the rest. But nearly half of the voters in the US voted for such a person.

But I do not believe that companies should make a lot of profit, they should make a little bit of profit and everyone should get their share but I'm sure that's rather unamerican.

It was pretty amazing to see Fox News disrupt their coverage and physically visit their polling data room because a SuperPac talking head they had on suggested Ohio was too close to call.

Yea, that was clearly the funniest thing I saw all last night. Not to mention, we had to watch Megyn Kelly walk there too. And then there was Maddow's epic rant at Rove/Fox News for that specific action.

Last night I enjoyed seeing Karl Rove remain adamant that Ohio would break for Romney and chastising his FOX puppets for calling the race. Nice to see the ol' Turd Blossom sweat after basically promising a win to billionaire donors.

Archived