US Politics: The Morning After

Xray the Enforcer

Very happy with the results so far. In Washington State, we mail in our ballots, this makes counting ballots takes days, but is very effective at getting people to vote (something like, over 80% of voters actually voted in WA), however so far it looks like we may be the first state to legalize Marijuana, and the first state to approve gay marriage by popular vote. I am thrilled and hope the returns continue to favor this trend as more ballots are counted.

So yay for President Obama, and locally I am proud of my state. :)

I really really really want for Obama, at his next press conference, to lean against the lectern with a smirk and tell the audience"I have earned a lot of political capital in this election, and I intend to spend it. Because that's how I operate. I accumulate political capital and then I spend it". Then smile and wink at the camera and walk off. Please make this happen.

That might have been my favorite moment of the W presidency. It was as if he had just learned the term "Political Capital" and was determined to show it off for the press.

RBPL,

The 22nd Amendment prohibits Obama being *elected* President again. It doesn't stop him from *being* President again.

(The issue is a controversial one though, and you'd certainly see a court challenge against VP candidate Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, or Barack Obama).

No, you cannot be Veep if you are Constitutionally unqualified to hold the office of President. US Const. amend. XII. The "elected" sqirm is weak at best.

Which forces me to ask the million dollar question; where did these people get the idea Australia is some kind of conservative paradise? A simple Google search would dispel this notion.

I think it represents a frontier myth of rugged independence that no longer really exists (since you have to be slightly nutty in the first place to live more than 200 miles from the coast).

That might have been my favorite moment of the W presidency. It was as if he had just learned the term "Political Capital" and was determined to show it off for the press.

I didn't like it much at all. It drove a dagger in my gut. And his smirk made me sick. I really really really want Obama to give the same speech.

sorry 7th, Maryland and Maine got there first with approving gay marriage and I believe Colorado beat you on marijuana. All that slow counting deprived your state of firstness

I guess that's what I get for listening to local news. Still very proud that in the first election that these issues came to vote they passed. :)

I think it represents a frontier myth of rugged independence that no longer really exists (since you have to be slightly nutty in the first place to live more than 200 miles from the coast).

Also the fact that we use the metric system would be a pretty severe shock.

Just a reminder to those eagerly awaiting a Republican shift to the left on social issues: Republican economic policy is, as ever, made of unicorns, fairy dust, and dreams. I know what you want Republican fiscal policy to be, but theirs ain't it.

So now that the GOP grand plan of making Obama a one term president didn't work I think they will instead work for the good of the American people.

Just kidding.

God I love the GOP spin machine after you spend the entire year and 1/2 calling Obama every dirty name under the sun the reason why Romney lost is because his small town Wholesomeness just couldn’t compete with Barry’s Chicago style politics.

Seriously fuck you guys.

Just a reminder to those eagerly awaiting a Republican shift to the left on social issues: Republican economic policy is, as ever, made of unicorns, fairy dust, and dreams. I know what you want Republican fiscal policy to be, but theirs ain't it.

Oh, I know the party is pretty much a joke on humanity in all its policies. But I can accept people being somewhat deluded on economic issues without thinking they are scum.

In fact, I even get [but disagree on] the pro-life thing. But the misogyny they work into this position is a huge problem.

So, any chance that the media escapes this without egg on their face? The race, from what I can see, wasn't really close. Obama won handily in EV and PV, Democrats won handily in the Senate and even picked up a few House seats, and most of the progressive referendums won.

Yet, if you listened to any media outlet the last few months, it was always too close to call even despite the numbers very clearly showing the opposite.

Do they actually have to face the consequences of throwing fact in the wind for the sake of ratings? Or do they get to keep playing their dangerous game?

so, if house votes down PR statehood, is that sufficient to break the GOP forever, given the rising proportion of hispanophone voters?

I'm not sure if it will be a massive break against the GOP, as from what I've seen in my life, many Mexicans feel hatred and jealousy toward Puerto Ricans (and vice versa, minus the jealousy) so they might not be very concerned about the GOP denying PR statehood.

Ha ha ha ha, now that they've lost, all of a sudden Fox News bobbleheads are expressing deep concern about electronic voting machines.

Hey assholes: Diebold. Fuck you fuck you fuck you, you lying scumbags. May you wander in the political desert gnawing on your livers and wailing and gnashing your teeth for the next forty years.

I knew last night around 9 pm that it wasn't going well for Fox when they were focusing on potential voter fraud instead of relaying how terrible things were going for them.

The 22nd Amendment prohibits Obama being *elected* President again. It doesn't stop him from *being* President again.

No, you cannot be Veep if you are Constitutionally unqualified to hold the office of President. US Const. amend. XII. The "elected" sqirm is weak at best.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that amendment only apply to consecutive elections? Couldn't Obama run for president in 2020 (hypothetically)?

Archived