US Politics: The Morning After

Xray the Enforcer

Which forces me to ask the million dollar question; where did these people get the idea Australia is some kind of conservative paradise? A simple Google search would dispel this notion.

I think it's more that it's about as far away from America as they can get. I don't think they have a clue about the actual laws there.

For Greywolf's question in last thread:

Yes. Two female Senators, two female Reps, and a female governor to boot. My fiancee's parents are particularly jazzed that Carol Shea-Porter defeated Guinta. They live in NH, in the same town Romney has one of his vacation homes.

Did Romney win a single state in which he owns a home? I guess he must, assuming he has a house in Utah? The man is just not likeable.

thanks - before I left I did hear it said again. Rather cool - we're looking to move back to NH in a couple years.

I think it's more that it's about as far away from America as they can get. I don't think they have a clue about the actual laws there.

Maybe it's because to them Australia really is that land where happy-looking blonde white people occasionally get taken on spiritual journeys or rescued by dark-skinned folks who mostly have the decency to keep themselves in the Outback.

Here I'll report my edit to post #73, as I'm not sure if you would have seen it before we moved on to the next page:

In summary, what the results say to me is that if there has to be a change, 65% of the voters want statehood. But 47% don't want a change. Then, there's no link between which option those who do want a change actually want, so you can't even say that 65% of the 57% who want change want statehood.

I kind of thought this was what you meant and can't really disagree. It was a really weird way of approaching it and criticized by a bunch of parties before the election was even held, as I understand it.

Yes, he could be a pick, legally. "No term limits, but no person ineligible to be President on the basis of term limits is eligible to be Vice-President." So, for example, Obama can't be a VP pick in 2016, because he couldn't actually step into the role of President if it's required.

The 22nd Amendment prohibits Obama being *elected* President again. It doesn't stop him from *being* President again.

(The issue is a controversial one though, and you'd certainly see a court challenge against VP candidate Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, or Barack Obama).

We also have universal health care, a female, unmarried atheist leader, incredibly tight gun control, no death penalty, a carbon tax, and only evolution taught in schools. Also migrating here is a bitch, Australia is innately skeptical of refugees, and any clown claiming they're being politically opressed by the Obama administration would be laughed back on the plane.

Either it's trolling, or some seriously misinformed people.

Y'all ain't that skeptical of white immigrants, though. Give them a nice plot of land that some aborigines are inhabiting or something.

Which forces me to ask the million dollar question; where did these people get the idea Australia is some kind of conservative paradise? A simple Google search would dispel this notion.

Obviously they heard a rumour, so it must be true. Beside googling would be too much like fact checking and we all know that's haram.

Y'all ain't that skeptical of white immigrants, though. Give them a nice plot of land that some aborigines are inhabiting or something.

This is true. And since Australia was the only developed economy in the world to avoid recession during the global financial crisis, I can't tell you how many European and American visa overstayers I've seen here that have sort of slipped through the cracks to maintain gainful employment.

They tewk urr jewbs, etc.

So it looks like the House will probably be a net pickup of a few (3-5) seats for the Democrats. But looking at the CNN map, it tells a powerful story of the impact redistricting can have.

Here is a list of larger states Obama won, and the House Breakdown:

Florida: R-17, D-9

Virginia: R-8, D-3

Pennsylvania: R-13, D-5

Ohio: R-11, D-3

Michigan: R-8, D-5

That is a total, of 57 R seats, and 25 D. I think the predictions that the House will stay Republican until 2020 look very solid indeed.

I really really really want for Obama, at his next press conference, to lean against the lectern with a smirk and tell the audience"I have earned a lot of political capital in this election, and I intend to spend it. Because that's how I operate. I accumulate political capital and then I spend it". Then smile and wink at the camera and walk off. Please make this happen.

Archived