US Politics: The Morning After

Xray the Enforcer

You mean a Southern accent? The U.S. is big and doesn't have a singular accent.

Not quite...more like a very pronounced American accent, like...Valley Girl, more than southern. I don't know what it is, but trust me, if you ever get on a bus in Jerusalem, the Americans will stand out through no fault of their own.

We're having an election probably late next year. Our system is unique but not really weird, lower house with preferential voting, upper house proportional (but weighted in favour of low-population states). No marsupials.

And I don't think it will be particularly interesting or geopolitically significant.

Isn't India voting sometime next year? That could be important.

India is ages from now. It is a pleasantly convulted prospect though.

Kenya will be having elections early next year. The last time they had a general elections, about 1300 people were killed and it almost plunged the country into chaos.

But do they have clicky graphs and maps and lots of polls?

Not quite...more like a very pronounced American accent, like...Valley Girl, more than southern. I don't know what it is, but trust me, if you ever get on a bus in Jerusalem, the Americans will stand out through no fault of their own.

I don't doubt it, but they still won't all sound the same.

curious to see what lessons the Republican Party takes from this.

my thoughts exactly. in face of total strategic defeat, do you reassess, revise, resubmit? or do you double down on the crazy?

Rationally, drop some of the xenophobia and religion. In practice I expect them to turn up the crazy.

The Israeli news folk are showing a distinct lack of interest in making clicky maps. (Haaretzs valiant effort to map the residence of primaries candidates for every party on google maps nonwithstanding.) Besides, the lists only get formalized on Dec. 6, and the elections are Jan 22. That's not enough time.

Kenya will be having elections early next year. The last time they had a general elections, about 1300 people were killed and it almost plunged the country into chaos.

Wikileaks was involved in there somewhere, iirc.

Ok, India, Indonesia and South Africa vote in 2014. Big deals but that's forever away.

Israel votes in January, Iran in July, Japan sometime before September, us guys probably a bit after that. Despite the nuclear war angle, I think 2014 probably has more world-historic potential.

ETA: Brazil and Turkey voting in 2014. Clear winner, even after we add Germany to 2013's tally.

Does anyone see turnout numbers anywhere? Like, did NH really have 95%?

Finally been able to get some info - so no, they didn't have 95% turnout as a state even though the contributor did confirm it. What they had was a precinct in Nashua have that turnout - and because she confirmed the state thing last night, I'm still trying to get a corroborating confirm of this because outside Dixville and Hart's, that is ridonkulous.

"too sad to tweet"

(from the republican graphic thing)

I know, that made me LOL.

Also, on the election, Sweden holds elections in 2014, although unfortunately our politicians have been branded "too boring for political satire" so it's hardly going to be a dramatic affair that will cause riots in the streets. Our worst political scandals the last ten years include:

*someone bying a bar of Toblerone chocolate using the parliament credit card

*someone maybe not using the parliament credit card correctly for taxi journeys, despite being Green party

*someone making a cack handed mistake in tax deductions for a flat he shared with his partner (he paid the money back)

*our sitting Prime Minister got divorced from his wife (for no juicy reason at all, and they remain cordial)

So you see, we know REAL political scandal here.

Well, in light of the mod warnings, let me say that I mean this in the most conciliatory light possible: Fuck you Republicans, mwhahahahahaha!!!

I'm curious to see what lessons the Republican Party takes from this. I would hope it means they see they must be consisent with regard to small government prinicples and equal protection of law, but I doubt it.

I really hope they stop seeing the religious right as the guarantee of victory. Thankfully the fundamentalist right is on the wane.

Well, maybe. They should see that they need to change somehow, which means thinking about what needs to stay the same - what really defines a conservative as such? Small government, no? And I do sincerely hope they ditch the social issues. They might lose 17% of their current voters to a third party, but It's a demographic loser and it would put them in the middle with the Democrats on the left, relatively speaking.

The election shows that the American people want cooperation. Cooperation is the new "black" (I don't think he meant that has a pun, lol). The pundits on this morning really believe a new era of cooperation is about to start.

This is probably what the administration wants the lesson to be - that Republicans lost because of the stone-walling by the Republican house. Some tea party candidates got tossed and even Romney made this a message of his concession speech, so who knows? We'll find out real quick given the "fiscal cliff" situation.

The Israeli news folk are showing a distinct lack of interest in making clicky maps. (Haaretzs valiant effort to map the residence of primaries candidates for every party on google maps nonwithstanding.) Besides, the lists only get formalized on Dec. 6, and the elections are Jan 22. That's not enough time.

If you want a clicky map there is this one from the Dutch elections of last September. But that misses the joy of the new developments.

Archived