Hey, Terminix Man!

Robin Of House Hill

I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves and those they are with but wanting to gut a homeless person is fucking stupid. I mean give him a shove to get him away from you and if he persists i could understand pushing them hard away or even punching them if they start to get violent with you or your loved one but pulling a knife on a homeless person come on man.

Calling homeless vermin is also all kinds of classy, you ser are one of a kind.

Robin, I am still awaiting your rebuttal of my point that you will GO TO FUCKING PRISON if you do what you suggest.

Done right, it would clearly be self-defense.

And I'm still waiting to find out why he/she/it voted for Obama.

:idea:

Because I'm not a millionaire.

I believe everyone has a right to defend themselves and those they are with but wanting to gut a homeless person is fucking stupid. I mean give him a shove to get him away from you and if he persists i could understand pushing them hard away or even punching them if they start to get violent with you or your loved one but pulling a knife on a homeless person come on man.

Calling homeless vermin is also all kinds of classy, you ser are one of a kind.

To successfully fend of an attacker, one must have the ability to incapacitate the attacker. At nearly 70, physical strength, alone, is unlikely to be sufficient. Most people are better at defending the area of their head, which makes targeting the jugular/carotid less likely to succeed and more likely to result in the weapon be wrested from me. Hence, my choice of the abdomen. Unlike Hannibal Lecter, I don't think I'd be able to target the femoral artery, effectively.

As for my use of the term vermin, I believe the term applies to destructive or annoying pests.

Done right, it would clearly be self-defense.

That is not how this works in most jurisdictions, unless by "done right" you mean "planting evidence." You are expected not to use disproportionate force in self-defense, which is why you aren't allowed to turn a flamethrower on someone throwing spitballs. I would not care to risk it even if I had no moral qualms about it.

Don't worry. Other than walking the dogs and grocery shopping, I rarely go out. Your homeless people are probably safe.

Your continual refusal to engage in actual conversation is tiresome. I give up, forever.

That avatar is really disturbing, so well done there.

I think the lighter shoved under my face would weird me out if the person seemed physically capable of hurting me.

Having been threatened with attacked by homeless people on two occasions, I can see how the thought of one's significant other in harms way is scary.

It's more worrisome to think that the local homeless population is around and poses a significant threat.

So I get Robin's concerns. OTOH, thinking about knifing someone is hopefully just blowing smoke to relieve anger/worry.

I think the lighter shoved under my face would weird me out if the person seemed physically capable of hurting me.

Having been threatened with attacked by homeless people on two occasions, I can see how the thought of one's significant other in harms way is scary.

It's more worrisome to think that the local homeless population is around and poses a significant threat.

So I get Robin's concerns. OTOH, thinking about knifing someone is hopefully just blowing smoke to relieve anger/worry.

I'd like to think this is what's behind the violent thoughts. Unfortunately, rampant paranoia **can** sometimes be acted upon - hence, why I tried to divert some of the worry by suggesting non-lethal means of staving off ravening bands of homeless.

If when a situation like this arises and your first thought is to use your knife to gut or stab someone then you should not be walking around with a knife. too many people get stabbed or shot by idiots who walk around with these weapons but have no control over how or when they should use them, the situation in the OP is not life threatening and the use of a knife was not necessary. Again not saying we all don't have the right to defend ourselves but the amount of force or violence we use should be appropriate to the situation, if your mind automatically just thinks to grab your knife for every possible physical encounter no matter how big or small you must stop carrying one. One of these days you gonna end up seriously hurting someone or killing them because you can't control your impulse to reach for that weapon you may think that will never happen but it happens all the time.

Your continual refusal to engage in actual conversation is tiresome. I give up, forever.

That avatar is really disturbing, so well done there.

I suspect the problem is that you regard the homeless as having some intrinsic value, whereas I don't. That hinders dialogue.

True, the avatar is pretty gross. I have a few reservations about it.

Sci,

Please don't get yourself in trouble by trying to "rehabilitate" me.

I'd like to think this is what's behind the violent thoughts. Unfortunately, rampant paranoia **can** sometimes be acted upon - hence, why I tried to divert some of the worry by suggesting non-lethal means of staving off ravening bands of homeless.

Violent thoughts harm no one. Since I've never committed a misdemeanor or felony, it is unlikely I'd risk doing anything unless I believed I was in danger of imminent harm.

If when a situation like this arises and your first thought is to use your knife to gut or stab someone then you should not be walking around with a knife. too many people get stabbed or shot by idiots who walk around with these weapons but have no control over how or when they should use them, the situation in the OP is not life threatening and the use of a knife was not necessary. Again not saying we all don't have the right to defend ourselves but the amount of force or violence we use should be appropriate to the situation, if your mind automatically just thinks to grab your knife for every possible physical encounter no matter how big or small you must stop carrying one. One of these days you gonna end up seriously hurting someone or killing them because you can't control your impulse to reach for that weapon you may think that will never happen but it happens all the time.

My mind automatically thinks of the minimum force necessary to ensure my survival. That does not mean that if someone hits me with their fist, I won't respond with a baseball bat. The goal is to survive, not be fair.

Archived