Hey, Terminix Man!

Robin Of House Hill

I knew I shouldn't bother starting this thread. The response was predictable, pacifist BS. The person who launches and unprovoked attack on one person, will, if there is no intervention, do it again, with possibly more dire results.

i'm not a pacifist, but i am a serving police officer and have probably more experience of this sort of thing than you. and as far as i can tell there was no attack and you are a very worrying individual. in fact i am much more concerned with the safety of members of the public around you than those near this 'bum', because anyone acting remotely strangely will be gutted with almost no thought.

charming. what species is your significant other, incidentally?

A productive human, unlike the parasite that threatened her.

Also, a kick? Really. Is this some sort of fucking homeless Ninja?

How big is Hollywod Blvd? Was she too confused to walk across the street?

Not a ninja, a mentally obliterated by drugs, alcohol or genetic defect, walking turd.

Kinda hard to do when hot asphalt had just been poured for a repaving project.

If this incident had happened to me, on Hollywood Boulevard, calling the authorities would, frankly, be the last thing on my mind. IIRC, the place isn't exactly crawling with them. But, seriously, get her a small dispenser of pepper spray - you'll both be happier, and she won't have to smuggle you knives into your jail cell.

I knew I shouldn't bother starting this thread. The response was predictable, pacifist BS. The person who launches and unprovoked attack on one person, will, if there is no intervention, do it again, with possibly more dire results.

No pacifist am I sir. Hell, I enjoy a good conflict, served in the military, and am a firm believer in defending oneself. This situation, as you described it, would not have warranted your response. If you are carrying a harpy, and think you can use it, I assume you consider yourself 'trained'. With that knowledge, you would know that in any of these situations, you /always/ try to find another way out. You are going to gut a mother fucker for flicking a lighter? Dumb man. Also, I'm not sure that would fall under any sane self defense laws.

Get your shit together man. You sound like a fool.

Details are important - no where in your description did the other person launch an attack. The most aggressive stance made was by your significant other and then by you in this thread threatening to kill someone.

Also, what data do you have to prove that this person is a druggie or alcoholic? Or if someone is out of work - potentially - in your view do those descriptions just automatically apply because to that person?

is your husband some sort of coward? why didn't he drag him into an alley and torture the bum?

We're fresh out of alleys in NYC - that's why you see so much trash on the sidewalks. So you know, he thought maybe his response fit the surroundings a little bit better.

A productive human, unlike the parasite that threatened her.

Not a ninja, a mentally obliterated by drugs, alcohol or genetic defect, walking turd.

Kinda hard to do when hot asphalt had just been poured for a repaving project.

You know, I'm not super-excited about homelessness. I don't like seeing people sitting on corners begging, sometimes aggressively. I don't like seeing others sitting semi-comatose wetting and/or soiling themselves. And yes, some of my feeling is NIMBY-ism. That's ok, I know it is. And my thinking has evolved over time (in fact, by actually knowing people, a couple of them related to me, who became homeless for one reason or another (wait, strike that, both involved mental illness). None of the distaste that I feel negates those people's humanity. You can also criticize my response. I don't want to see it. I'm honest about that. So I write checks to various charities that are involved in feeding and housing those less fortunate. And I try to remember that these are people who have or had mothers and father and sisters and brothers or maybe even children. They aren't turds. And if some of the issues causing the homelessness stem from genetically influenced mental illness, well, but for the grace of God go I - heck, I might be a carrier and I wouldn't want my own children to be thought of that way.

If this incident had happened to me, on Hollywood Boulevard, calling the authorities would, frankly, be the last thing on my mind. IIRC, the place isn't exactly crawling with them. But, seriously, get her a small dispenser of pepper spray - you'll both be happier, and she won't have to smuggle you knives into your jail cell.

Or just don't engage/talk in the first place.

We're fresh out of alleys in NYC - that's why you see so much trash on the sidewalks. So you know, he thought maybe his response fit the surroundings a little bit better.

You know, I'm not super-excited about homelessness. I don't like seeing people sitting on corners begging, sometimes aggressively. I don't like seeing others sitting semi-comatose wetting and/or soiling themselves. And yes, some of my feeling is NIMBY-ism. That's ok, I know it is. And my thinking has evolved over time (in fact, by actually knowing people, a couple of them related to me, who became homeless for one reason or another (wait, strike that, both involved mental illness). None of the distaste that I feel negates those people's humanity. You can also criticize my response. I don't want to see it. I'm honest about that. So I write checks to various charities that are involved in feeding and housing those less fortunate. And I try to remember that these are people who have or had mothers and father and sisters and brothers or maybe even children. They aren't turds. And if some of the issues causing the homelessness stem from genetically influenced mental illness, well, but for the grace of God go I - heck, I might be a carrier and I wouldn't want my own children to be thought of that way.

Or just don't engage/talk in the first place.

I love this response. Thank you, Mlle. Z.

I have been sober and drug free for over 20 years. In that time, I have worked with and known many people who needed help but didn't get it for a variety of reasons, including horrific abuse and mental illness. I'm not saying that they didn't have a big part to play in their situation. What I am saying is that many of them were decent people who just lost their way.

And I could have easily wound up in the same situation. The solution is not to 'gut' those homeless people who cause problems. These people need help - not annihilation.

Yes, I agree it's best not to engage in the first place. A fast, business-like walk (getting the fuck out of Dodge) pretty much gets you out of most threatening situations. But if the guy decided to pick on RH's SO due to her demeanor or some other sort of cue, that plan of action doesn't work. What she did worked. That's the important thing. Wanting to gut someone after they've threatened your loved one is probably just a protective reflex, but not really helpful.

Hell, we've all seen weird situations in the news lately where people have been attacked by whackos - one memorable occurrence actually involved a guy getting his head sawn off. RH's had some cringe-worthy posts in the past, but he/she can't be wrong all the time! :P

i'm not a pacifist, but i am a serving police officer and have probably more experience of this sort of thing than you. and as far as i can tell there was no attack and you are a very worrying individual. in fact i am much more concerned with the safety of members of the public around you than those near this 'bum', because anyone acting remotely strangely will be gutted with almost no thought.

Strangely enough, the police ar partly responsible for the problem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skid_Row,_Los_Angeles,_California A few years ago, at the behest of our mayor, they cleared the place out. Many of its "residents", came to Hollywood, where begging from stupid tourists is apparently a plus for them.

If this incident had happened to me, on Hollywood Boulevard, calling the authorities would, frankly, be the last thing on my mind. IIRC, the place isn't exactly crawling with them.

LAPD Hollywood division 7 blocks away on Wilcox Ave.

Robin Hill, you are such a cool tough guy! Not only do I believe this interaction actually happened, but you even have a real life girlfriend! Good for you! Here's a cookie! And another! All the ladies will be swimming to you now, you big strong shark in a sea of guppies! :bowdown:

Ignorance is bliss. I'm nearly 70. My better half and I have been together for 28 years. I don't want all the ladies swimming to me. I recognize that if a situation came up where I was compelled to defend myself, there is a better than even chance that I would be seriously injured or killed in the attempt, but I cannot stand the fact that no one wants to rid society of these parasites.

Not every homeless person wants to attack others. I spent time doing overnights for a women's shelter, attended presentations at CCNV in DC, one of my friends is a former runaway...I'd be comfortable saying the vast majority are either down on their luck, or have some lasting mental problem possibly due to abuse.

After gutting the bastard, don't forget to drag his bleeding corpse to the nearest homeless shelter so the other parasites can see what happens when they heedlessly flick cigarette lighters at employed people. People are always forgetting this important step, and it pisses me off.

The sad fact is that unless you are quick and resolute, these items can be taken from you and used against you, just as with any other weapon.

Is the problem that your SO is slow and wavering, or are you just wishing for someone to take responsibility for a proper Endlösung clean-up in re: the exterminator quote?

Not every homeless person wants to attack others. I spent time doing overnights for a women's shelter, attended presentations at CCNV in DC, one of my friends is a former runaway...I'd be comfortable saying the vast majority are either down on their luck, or have some lasting mental problem possibly due to abuse.

The ones I'm seeing around here wouldn't go near a shelter. They buy their coffee at Starbucks and their sandwiches at Subways. Families are to blame Society is to blame. These are people who should not be out, wandering around, off their meds, spending their disability checks on booze and drugs. But at some point our politicians realized how much money could be saved by simply issuing prescriptions, which none of them take and turning them loose. Then they could spend the money on projects which would get them re-elected.

Strangely enough, the police ar partly responsible for the problem. http://en.wikipedia....les,_California A few years ago, at the behest of our mayor, they cleared the place out. Many of its "residents", came to Hollywood, where begging from stupid tourists is apparently a plus for them.

Hhmm...wierd. I could have sworn that you stated before you lived off the grid somewhere. Someplace were you do your own electrical wiring, appliance repair, vehicle repair, know everything about everything.

I know I didn't imagine that post. And now you're a resident of L.A.? Huh.

Hhmm...wierd. I could have sworn that you stated before you lived off the grid somewhere. Someplace were you do your own electrical wiring, appliance repair, vehicle repair, know everything about everything.

I know I didn't imagine that post. And now you're a resident of L.A.? Huh.

But don't call him a troll.

Archived