Makeup

WillWork4NinjaPowers

ES, I found out today that there's no way to open a jammed lipstick tube of mine so I bought some more, all Chanel (my makeup budget has three line items: lipstick, moisturizer, sunblock). A couple of these (Charme and Antigone) would be less hoochie-mama if you really want that; not this one, though (Pirate).

Nora, I think your eyebrows look the best when you do them yourself! I looked over your pictures and it seems like they came out perfect just the one time you had them done professionally - otherwise, you're better at them than the pros are. Seriously.

Once my pocketbook recovers from the holidays, I'm going to invest in some of the fancy-schmancy makeup mentioned in this thread. After a lifetime of buying the cheap stuff, I think it's time to move on.

In a few years I will look just like her, I love my bicycles

http://styleandthestartup.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/vivienne-westwood-bike-and-heels.jpg

I even am a redhead, I am crazy as well and like her dress style.

Since I am, although having fair hair, a little "racially mixed", I have strong eyebrows and long dark eyelashes which is fortunate since I am allergic to most makeup and mascara.

So I use cosmetics from pharmacies, the stuff for sensitive skin like La Roche Posay, Eucerin or Avène. And I love homemade masks, like healing clay masks, to make them more nourishing, antiseptic and soft I add honey and yoghourt or biological white cheese, better and cheaper than any expensive stuff, just lay back and relax.

Sometimes I use foundation, at bad skin days or at a night out and I always put on lipstick, the permanent version, needs not be expensive. And for for fixing it and smooth lips I put beeeswax transparent cream or sticks on top, not the version with artificial oils in it. I just love crazy colours, though most of the time I go for rosewood or subtle red-browns going with my hair (there is a little bit of grey in it now! Girl face it: you are not twenty anymore, ahem not even forty......Henna.......?)

And I do lots of sports, airing my skin, the best care imaginable (do never forget the sunblock!)

Btw, do you as well distinguish your lipstick colours after the situation where to wear it? I have a different colour for my "artsy" job, for meetings with my kid's teachers, male or female, for bank appointments.......

I've used it every night for over over 20 years, with the exceptions of when I was pregnant and when I was taking Accutane. It does work, but you MUST wear sun protection. There's a reason I wear those huge hats :) I also wear sunscreen while running. I have some zinc-based stuff that will not come off except with makeup remover. It's some pretty intense stuff to stay on through a marathon - 4.5 hours of sweat.

There are phases when you start Retin-A, until your skin gets used to it - about 8 weeks. The first is the peeling phase; it lasts for a few weeks. As has been said before, you can mitigate this by putting it on every other night or every third night. But in my mind, this just draws out the peeling phase. You'll need moisturizer with sunscreen anyways, might as well start using it now :) The second phase is a break-out phase, where you'll see more pimples, because the Retin-A will have uncovered them. That takes another few weeks to get over. Then you're golden, unless you stop using it for a long time.

You also have to make sure that you're using the correct strength - preferably .25 or .50, nothing stronger than that - and make sure it's the cream, not the gel.

You also CANNOT wax on your face if using Retin-A. No eyebrow waxing; it will take off your skin.

Thanks, Chats! I'll follow your instructions.

Btw, do you as well distinguish your lipstick colours after the situation where to wear it? I have a different colour for my "artsy" job, for meetings with my kid's teachers, male or female, for bank appointments.......

Oh yes. Swanky events demand swanky lipstick, while everyday running around gets something more subdued.

Vivienne Westwood always looks like she's having fun. :)

I've used it every night for over over 20 years, with the exceptions of when I was pregnant and when I was taking Accutane. It does work, but you MUST wear sun protection. There's a reason I wear those huge hats :) I also wear sunscreen while running. I have some zinc-based stuff that will not come off except with makeup remover. It's some pretty intense stuff to stay on through a marathon - 4.5 hours of sweat.

There are phases when you start Retin-A, until your skin gets used to it - about 8 weeks. The first is the peeling phase; it lasts for a few weeks. As has been said before, you can mitigate this by putting it on every other night or every third night. But in my mind, this just draws out the peeling phase. You'll need moisturizer with sunscreen anyways, might as well start using it now :) The second phase is a break-out phase, where you'll see more pimples, because the Retin-A will have uncovered them. That takes another few weeks to get over. Then you're golden, unless you stop using it for a long time.

You also have to make sure that you're using the correct strength - preferably .25 or .50, nothing stronger than that - and make sure it's the cream, not the gel.

You also CANNOT wax on your face if using Retin-A. No eyebrow waxing; it will take off your skin.

Ah...no wonder I'm having such a problem with the Philosophy Miracles. I'm just not giving it enough time.

Well I just got some chanel foundation that seems perfect for my skin tone (my cousin uses it and tried it on me before) and some clinique lash doubling mascara as recommended up thread (the hand me down mascara was getting clumpy). I'm spending new years tonight how I want to look going forward, so will see if they make a difference.

Wanted to try liquid eye liner as well but don't know wtf I am doing there, so held off until I get help.

About to try get a new, better wig as well, the Europe trip trashed my cheap first one :(

I would love to get laser done on my face. I don't care how fine and blond it is...I hate it! And it just gets worse as I get older. All I have to do is look at the few hairs that grow the longest and look at my mom and voila! I know exactly where my old lady whiskers will be. :bang:

On laser - if you have the skin/hair type for it, I would highly recommend it. However, if you have hairs on your face like I do, you really need to have the treatment done every 5 years or so. Hormonal changes will make new hairs grow in time. And when I say "treatment," I mean 5 visits over a period of 5 months. I found a salon that did 5 visits for $400. Once I get a new job, another round of treatments is the first thing I'm buying myself. I've got French Mediterranean stock - black hair, blue eyes, pale skin, and the hair is just so visible. Honestly right now I just shave it off (NO WAXING)

Speaking of products - anyone loyal to Mary Kay? I just went to one of those "parties" and I loved the products but soured on the company. The representatives...let's just say have no qualms about selling products to five year old girls and scaring the young teens (14 year olds!) about the "horrors" of aging.

I've never had any luck with Mary Kay products, but I haven't tried them in a while. To me, Avon was just as good and much cheaper. I still buy thier lipsticks just because I can never keep track of a tube in between purses and my locker.

the hand me down mascara was getting clumpy

When you describe this mascara as hand-me-down, do you mean it had already been used by someone else and passed on to you? Not a good idea with eye makeup: you can pick up infections that way. I use lipstick testers at the counter only after they've been properly cleaned for me.

Speaking of products - anyone loyal to Mary Kay? I just went to one of those "parties" and I loved the products but soured on the company. The representatives...let's just say have no qualms about selling products to five year old girls and scaring the young teens (14 year olds!) about the "horrors" of aging.

I'm no Mary Kay rep, but I've started nagging my 11-year-old niece about wearing sunscreen both because of skin cancer and because it'll keep her skin looking better longer.

I use Mary Kay's yellow concealer because it offsets the olive (nice word for green) tones under my eyes, but that's it for the line.

I'm very excited to have received a paraffin bath warmer. I have super dry skin and am looking forward to dipping feet, hands, and elbows. I'd do a total face dunk if that weren't contraindicated. :lol:

I use Mary Kay's yellow concealer because it offsets the olive (nice word for green) tones under my eyes, but that's it for the line.

I'm very excited to have received a paraffin bath warmer. I have super dry skin and am looking forward to dipping feet, hands, and elbows. I'd do a total face dunk if that weren't contraindicated. :lol:

The paraffin warmers are nice, but messy. Cheapest place for supplies is Ebay. I got some really nice orange scented paraffin there once. Essential oils also work well.

Wanted to try liquid eye liner as well but don't know wtf I am doing there, so held off until I get help.

Liquid eyeliner can be a massive pain if you're not used to it. I use the eye pencil things that you twist up? They're a bit softer and easier to use than liquid eyeliners. The way I do it is that I stick as close to the lash line as I can, putting it on as thinly as I can, as it can be really easy to overload on liner. I definitely find the kohl 'eye definers' easier to use - at the moment I have a Rimmel and a Collection 2000 one.

Not sure if this is useful at all :laugh:

When you describe this mascara as hand-me-down, do you mean it had already been used by someone else and passed on to you? Not a good idea with eye makeup: you can pick up infections that way. I use lipstick testers at the counter only after they've been properly cleaned for me.

Yeah I had read this and it was another reason I decided to get some new mascara, it didn't seem to be giving me any issues.

When I was working out whether this was the right path for me I wasn't turning down anything anyone would give me, the idea of buying make up for myself was scary :P it's still a little intimidating.

Ended up getting an expensive new wig, looks much better and natural and it's not machine made so can somewhat style it. The new foundation and mascara were definitely better, I think I looked good while I stared out my window at crowds and fireworks!

About to try get a new, better wig as well, the Europe trip trashed my cheap first one :(

Speaking as someone who lived through the '60s where eyeliner was a necessity, the best way to put it on is not to attempt a solid line (I used to be able to do this quite well, but nowadays people go more for a "smudged" look.) Rather, try a series of small dashes as close to your lashes as possible. Some people like soft pencils for this. I find the brush and the liquid easier and less "tugging" on the eyelids. Then I go over it with a deep colored shadow to disguise the line, if I haven't been successful in the smudged look. :P

I got a new mascara from Lancome and it smells like roses. It makes me ridiculously happy, even though it's probably not best for my lashes.

I also fell in love with Urban Decay's Naked 1 palette, but it seems like it's a US only item. I've had no luck with eBay; it's full of fakes. Does anyone know whether it's possible to get it in Europe, and if not, what other product would you recommend?

Archived