College Football 2012 VI: The Coaching Carousel and Bowl Prep

Rhom

Right- but what they aren't is held in some random fucking place that no one really cares about, and done so so that you have a week's time to get there before the next game. The only games like that? The NCAA tournament (which has multiple games in the same place) and the championship games (which ARE a big enough spectacle that people will travel for quickly)

I haven't seen a single scenario that proposes this for first round games. What are you arguing against.

My setup is an eight team tournament in name, but in truth it is closer to twelve. Conference title game losers are not eligible for at-large slots in my setup. So the Title games effectively become the first round matchups. When you have representatives of seven different leagues you are ensured of a decent shot for just about every team. Otherwise, you just get the SEC wankfests that make the current system suck balls.

I haven't seen a single scenario that proposes this for first round games. What are you arguing against.

My setup is an eight team tournament in name, but in truth it is closer to twelve. Conference title game losers are not eligible for at-large slots in my setup. So the Title games effectively become the first round matchups. When you have representatives of seven different leagues you are ensured of a decent shot for just about every team. Otherwise, you just get the SEC wankfests that make the current system suck balls.

Careful, I can see your SEC envy coming through. :drool:

Bronn, I am arguing against any placement of any game that isn't the championship game other than one of the two teams' stadiums. You are arguing for something else. You are wrong.

The Bowls are a cherished tradition. They are also a money-hungry thing that fucks the students, the fans, the teams, the conferences, the athletic department and most of the college experience right in the ear. They are a monopoly on a postseason that should be one of the best in all of sports, and instead is this mockery of shitty games with the occasional good one - when they all could be good.

I used to think that the bowl system was great. Now the only one I want to keep is the Rose, and I simply want it to be an exhibition game that is meaningless but fun. Everything else - especially the fucking corrupt Fiesta Bowl - can die a horrible death, loudly, screaming in syphilitic dementia as baboons with AIDS shit on it again and again.

I don't really see any problem in having all FBS conference champs represented in a 16-team playoff. That leaves, what, 5 at-large spots to be filled with deserving non-champs? If the MAC or CUSA champion doesn't deserve to be there, they'll lose in their first round. The point, to me, is to open competition for all teams and to try and eliminate a bit of the "haves" and "have nots" foolishness we have now.

ETA: I should clarify that I am not sure the independents deserve an automatic bid so I've left them out. There's only 5, IIRC, so it doesn't bother me.

The problem is that they're not deserving. If you're just arbitrarily including them, you have to exclude others. Let's take this year for an example.

Division (main) winners: Alabama, Wisconsin, Stanford, Louisville, Kansas State, Florida State

Division (other) winners: Northern Illinois, Tulsa, BoiseState/FresnoState/SanDiegoState (any of the three might have been the champs), Arkansas State, Utah State

So we've got 5 teams. We'll take the two at-larges from the BCS: Oregon and Florida. And then Notre Dame. Two left. Here are some of the teams remaining in that list:

Georgia

LSU

TA&M

South Carolina

Oklahoma

Oregon State

Clemson

Nebraska

UCLA

You get to pick two of them, and do so in a reasonable way that also leaves little room for error or complaint. And then you get to talk to the rest and tell them how they are less deserving and less competitive to go than Northern Illinois, Utah State, Arkansas State, Tulsa and Fresno State.

And then you get to talk to the actual fans and watchers of the universe who now get to watch Utah State play Oregon instead of, say, Clemson. Or watch Tulsa play Alabama instead of Nebraska.

Does that sound like a good thing that people would want to watch? Does it sound fair for those other bigger schools that have a better chance of winning?

^Georgia and Texas A&M. That's who I choose. Boom, done.

As to telling those other teams that they won't be making the tournament, here is an example.

"Dear UCLA,

You did not win your conference championship and were not rated highly enough in our rankings to make the playoffs. Tough titties for you.

Love,

NCAA something or other."

Or you could have a couple play in games to give a few more teams a chance. That could be neat.

Not lsu then, even though they beat tam and played a harder schedule than Georgia? How about Clemson, who just beat lsu? South Carolina, who beat one of those other sec teams? Oklahoma, who only lost to two great teams?

Just so we are clear - you're saying tough titties to teams that beat those champions of the weaker conferences - and sometimes dominated them - and you're doing this because you would rather Tulsa and Arkansas state should automatically qualify.

That's what you personally want - a system that rewards tough schedules with being held out, and rewards being in a shitty conference with an auto bid.

I have no particular feelings towards either team tonight, but considering that K-State beat the ever-loving shit out of West Virginia I feel I am honor bound to cheer for them. It'll make me feel a little better if they can slow down Oregon the way they slowed down WVU. Though that turned out to not be anywhere near impossible since 6 teams managed it this season, but that particular beat-down looks slightly less bad if K-State beats Oregon.

Archived