NFL 2012 Week 14/15 The Unfrozen Tundra

Howdyphillip

It was mentioned in a press conference which I watched. If you weren't paying attention, you could have missed it. The majority of that press conference was on the bounties. At the end of the day, Tagliabue disagreeing with Goodell on who deserves punishment doesn't mean Goodell fucked up. It just means that Tagliabue believes the coaches/organisation are more responsible than the players whereas Goodell believes they're all responsible.

So despite all of the evidence that players were just doing their job and had nothing to do with theses false accusations, you still stand behind Goodell in this? I suppose when Vilma wins his defamation lawsuit, that will just be a fluke as well?

I think Mexal is correct in the way Tagliabue phrased the ruling. However, Tagliabue still vacated the players' suspensions, and this fact alone shows he was not entirely supportive of Goodell and his findings, Tagliabue also went on to slam the Saints' organization. By issuing the ruling that he did, Tagliabue reigned in Goodell's heavy-handed discipline of the players, while hammering the actions of the Saints' coaches and officials. Everyone comes away a bit of a winner and a bit of a loser. So, I agree with the ruling. Following Vilma's defamation suit against Goodell will be interesting,

ESPN, seemingly unironically:

Edwards was cut Monday because the Seahawks felt his hamstring injury would sideline him for the final three weeks of the season, according to coach Pete Carroll. The Jets claimed him Tuesday on waivers, hoping he can bolster their injury-depleted receiving corps.

And yeah, bringing back an injured Braylon Edwards is what's gonna solve the Jets problems on offense.

ETA: No word yet on how many years guaranteed money Tannebaum many have given him.

Also the Saints have had a very good running game almost every year since Brees came on. They just don't have a single awesome runner, so it looks like they're not great. Same goes for the Pats.

What does that make Rock and Kal...?
We're the uncles that don't get invited to thanksgiving any more. not since That One Time.

is it possible to ever get an understanding of football (your type) when you only watch the highlights? i find it to be an amazing sport to watch when it is 'speeded up' but really struggle with the live games.

Yes and no. You can appreciate the athleticism and excitement from the highlights, but the game really is as much (if not more) about planning and strategy than it is about athleticism. It's hard to explain a lot of the technical details without putting someone to sleep, but your appreciation of the game grows dramatically when you start to understand what goes on away from the ball.

For example, as odd as it sounds, one of my favorite things about this season was watching Manning struggle in the early weeks, and gradually play his way back into the groove. It was interesting watching his hesitation in the early weeks, and seeing how he steadily got in synch with the offense gave me a lot of insight into how he plays the game. If you didn't know anything about Manning, you would see an above-average player struggling to make plays at times; watching it in context, you got a glimpse into how one of the all-time greats makes his reads and manipulates the defenders.

is it possible to ever get an understanding of football (your type) when you only watch the highlights? i find it to be an amazing sport to watch when it is 'speeded up' but really struggle with the live games.

Football is very hard to enjoy if you don't know the rules, and there are a lot of rules, many of which come up only rarely. I find that most people who find football to be "boring" often don't really understand everything that is going on*. I would recommend either watching with friends who are fans, or only watching the final quarter or so, which will probably be more interesting.

* Yes, I recognize that people say the same thing about almost all boring sports, like baseball and bowling.

You aren't going to get the full effect just watching highlights.

If you really have interest in becoming a fan of the sport, I would highly suggest watching it with other people who are fans of the game and don't mind explaining things to you as the games go along. It will take several games to get an understanding of the rules.

What you are probably struggling with is the vastly different pacing of the game. The action stops and starts.That is another reason that I encourage you to watch it with others. The conversations that are allowed between plays is part of the experience. When and if you do ever become a fan, I believe that you will find the pacing to be inspired.

What you are probably struggling with is the vastly different pacing of the game. The action stops and starts.That is another reason that I encourage you to watch it with others. The conversations that are allowed between plays is part of the experience. When and if you do ever become a fan, I believe that you will find the pacing to be inspired.

It also helps to watch a Pats or Broncos game; watching Brady & Manning run the no-huddle solves a lot of pacing issues, and seeing them do the chicken dance to manipulate defenders will teach you a lot about offensive & defensive strategies.

I like American football and the actual game play is good but, yeah, the pacing is a bit of struggle. I just record it for about half an hour before I watch it and fast forward through the bits when there's nothing happening.

I did think about going to one of the games in London but honestly the thought of having to go through the stop start nature of it live put me off a bit.

I like American football and the actual game play is good but, yeah, the pacing is a bit of struggle. I just record it for about half an hour before I watch it and fast forward through the bits when there's nothing happening.

I did think about going to one of the games in London but honestly the thought of having to go through the stop start nature of it live put me off a bit.

You don't notice it as much live as there is always something to look at or someone to talk to.

I haven't seen Jaime L or Trisky get drawn into sniping arguments either. The fact is the commentary by all of the people mentioned, including DVD ROTS and Bones is amazing. I've learned more about football just reading this thread than I did my entire life, despite being around it daily.

The level of commentary is so high that it caused me to get into a screaming match with someone. During the Saints game, there was a post on this thread that Brees was becoming a TO machine. I turned to the person with whom I was watching the game and asked if this was true. He said, "No, that's bullshit. This year, we haven't had a running game. That's all. You should post that." At which point, I yelled, "Before I post a goddamn thing, you better look up the stats from the first season Brees played for the Saints and every subsequent year he played for us, and compare it to this year. These guys know their shit, moron." Of course, he was wrong, and the person posting was correct.

Heh, that was me. I agree that this is the place for NFL discussion; respect the guys who post here (even you Sivin).

I think Brees misses Payton's play calling more than anything. Brees is pressing things a bit too much now. He probably feels that it's all on him. I don't see anything physically wrong with him.

One thing about Luck's INTs. I am not too concerned as a Colts fan. He is a trying things out, learning what works and what does not (I know it is not as simple as that). The thing is he usually does comeback to win in the end, by playing proper football. I believe his INTs will go down from year 2 onward. He is not a gunslinger in the mode of Favre.

All said, RG3 is the clubhouse leader at this point in my book in the ORoY race.

What does that make Rock and Kal...?

The angry grandfathers who both feel that their child lowered their standards.

You threw a pick-6 into triple coverage while your team had a 3-point lead and the offense was in FG range?

Or did the definition of 'just having fun out there' change?

I'll admit, I looked at that one with a cocked eyebrow for a little bit. Good one, though.

No. Will expound below.

We're the uncles that don't get invited to thanksgiving any more. not since That One Time.

I've already put my opinion here, but does this make HowdyPhillip that annoying cousin who thinks he's smartest person in the family? ;)

Yes and no. You can appreciate the athleticism and excitement from the highlights, but the game really is as much (if not more) about planning and strategy than it is about athleticism. It's hard to explain a lot of the technical details without putting someone to sleep, but your appreciation of the game grows dramatically when you start to understand what goes on away from the ball.

For example, as odd as it sounds, one of my favorite things about this season was watching Manning struggle in the early weeks, and gradually play his way back into the groove. It was interesting watching his hesitation in the early weeks, and seeing how he steadily got in synch with the offense gave me a lot of insight into how he plays the game. If you didn't know anything about Manning, you would see an above-average player struggling to make plays at times; watching it in context, you got a glimpse into how one of the all-time greats makes his reads and manipulates the defenders.

There is wisdom here. It takes time to fully understand the game. I watched for about 5 years before I feel like I understood just about everything about the game. And it took an additional year before I stopped consistently making ridiculous claims about the game. You grow in your understanding.

Sorry man. I almost never bet on my team as I am already heavily invested.

A smart gambler, at least.

You don't notice it as much live as there is always something to look at or someone to talk to.

Very true. Fastest 3 1/2 hours of your life.

Heh, that was me. I agree that this is the place for NFL discussion; respect the guys who post here (even you Sivin).

I'm getting there.

One thing about Luck's INTs. I am not too concerned as a Colts fan. He is a trying things out, learning what works and what does not (I know it is not as simple as that). The thing is he usually does comeback to win in the end, by playing proper football. I believe his INTs will go down from year 2 onward. He is not a gunslinger in the mode of Favre.

True story. I cringe at some of Luck's throws because the bad ones are really bad, and some of them are stupid decisions. But I'm never worried when he drops back in that pocket. It's so weird to have a guy who's got almost as many INT's as TD's on the season and have absolute faith that he's gonna do alright with the ball. I can't really explain it as a fan. I've seen bad QB's play, and I've seen talented QB's who are turnover machines (Sexy Rexy), but even with all of the INT's, Luck puts confidence in me.

The best way I can describe it is that when Peyton stepped on the field, I got to watch a show unlike any other, and that was so exciting. I didn't really even care if the Colts scored on the drive, I just wanted to see Peyton do his work. But now, Luck takes the field and I'm intent to see how he's going to grow. As he seems to do so with each pass. The Andrew Luck that takes the field in the first half is a rookie who's still learning. The Andrew Luck who takes the field in the 4th quarter is a seasoned veteran who does what the fuck it takes to win a ballgame. It's really cool to watch his confidence and overall performance grow as the game goes on. We Colts fans (those of us who remained true) are quite blessed. As much as it can be joked that I am a fan of half the league, I am quite blessed with my QB's of the last 14 years. We'll forget about Painter, and Orlovsky at least won a game. ;)

I'm a no-comment on the ORoY thing, btw. They both deserve it.

I've already put my opinion here, but does this make HowdyPhillip that annoying cousin who thinks he's smartest person in the family?
He's the ex-husband that doesn't have anywhere else to go for the holidays, steals random things from your house to support his drug habit but makes the most amazingly bad jokes so everyone wants him over anyway.

He invariably pinches mom's ass.

Archived