Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

PG,

Why would I agree with that when it isn't what he said?

Because it's possible from the wider context of a prevailing discussion/argument about Hollywood originality to work out that it's almost certainly what he meant.

Sure, he may come back and make me look silly. But in the meantime I'm really not sure what the point of this argument is.

This is a silly argument. Let's just all agree that Mister.E probably meant 'original property' when he said 'original idea' and move on.

As a movie, maybe. I'm reasonably certain that Mecha fighting giant monsters existed in other mediums before Pacific Rim, though.

I've been wracking my brains and I think you're right. Didn't the Power Rangers movie back in the day do something similar? I know in the TV series the PR's routinely take charge of a giant robot and battle Godzilla monsters threatening cities. (OK it's a dude dressed in a rubber suit, but still). And before you condemn me I'm the father of a six year old boy, and the Power Rangers are back in vogue.

So to re-cap, Pacific Rim is maybe not an original idea, but they were original in spending millons of dollars on SFX to make it look bitching good.

Has a sequel been confirmed yet?

They're waiting to get the money back from China (which apparently is a long and drawn-out process). When they do that and get the full worldwide money in ($410 million, almost) they should green-light a sequel. Del Toro's already writing one as of last month. The problem is that Del Toro tends not to stick around on one idea too long, and if they take too long to make a decision it might be years and years before we see a sequel (as with Hellboy) because he's off doing other things.

Ha, according to that interview Del Toro owns 7,000 DVDs and 900 Blu-Rays. He also still has his VHS and Betamax movie collections :)

Watched Pacific Rim last night.

It does what it says on the tin.

I really shouldn't have liked it, but my inner 9 year old peed his pants with over-excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc

ahahaha that was hilarious, i laughed my ass off at 1:50 - ... and this one named after a stripper (gipsy danger) :lol:

i really shouldn't have liked it either, but my inner 9 year old needed an underwear change too :)

Watched Pacific Rim last night.

It does what it says on the tin.

I really shouldn't have liked it, but my inner 9 year old peed his pants with over-excitement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc

That was pretty great. Better then the movie itself.

I often think people are more in love with the idea of this movie then the movie itself.

Archived