Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

There were definitely feelings between the two leads and they definitely had a relationship. I don't think it was at all obvious that these were necessarily romantic feelings or the start of a romantic relationship. It seemed like there was probably a physical attraction there but beyond that who knows? It was left nicely ambiguous. In fact, one of the things I liked about the movie was that it didn't shoehorn in a a needless romance subplot.

There were definitely feelings between the two leads and they definitely had a relationship. I don't think it was at all obvious that these were necessarily romantic feelings or the start of a romantic relationship. It seemed like there was probably a physical attraction there but beyond that who knows? It was left nicely ambiguous. In fact, one of the things I liked about the movie was that it didn't shoehorn in a a needless romance subplot.

I was right there with you until his "terrible timing" thing. Then I felt like the made it not ambiguous. Then I felt like they where waving flags saying "See he has ROMANTIC feeling for her!" . Though I did like they didn't add a kiss. I wish he had left it more ambiguous.

The romance thing in the picture:

They don't have a romance in the film, though Raleigh clearly likes Mako by the end of the picture and Mako is totally checking out Raleigh through the spyhole in her door at one point. There's no reason why they can't - the Russian Jaegar pilots are a married couple - but ultimately there was too much going on for them to spend any time on it. The film leaves it ambiguous if they are going to have a relationship or not, though clearly there is a mutual attraction.

Word of god (i.e. Del Toro):

There was a romance plot and even a kiss filmed for the end, but Del Toro ultimately felt it was too cliche and cut it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it stands at $389 million, $100 million alone from China. Japan started out poorly but has suddenly picked up to $10 million (almost as much as the UK's entire month-long run in about a week and a half). Guess the word of mouth is kicking in.

• 1 month later...

Now it stands at $389 million, $100 million alone from China. Japan started out poorly but has suddenly picked up to $10 million (almost as much as the UK's entire month-long run in about a week and a half). Guess the word of mouth is kicking in.

After seeing this movie I hope it gets green-lit for sequels. Very entertaining universe and a good enough premise to build from.

The film finished on $407 million, which would normally mean an automatic sequel, but it made most of that outside the USA (more than $100 million in China alone), which affects the sequel prospects. I reckon it'll still get one, but probably after a bit more waiting than normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched it over the weekend. I was pretty damn disappointed to be honest, even despite preparing myself for it after reading the reviews and comments. The battles were great, as were the designs of both the robots and the kaiju. All of that was awesome. But, for me, those aspects were virtually the only redeeming factor of the entire damn thing. The script, in particular, was just plain awful in my opinion. I mean I can kinda forgive certain big-budget blockbuster-type movies with subpar writing/directing/acting as long there's a few decent elements, as well as some good effects and/or action, but this was pretty much beyond that. I like both Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi, and I think they're both good and sometimes even great actors, but they were both rather lame in PR. The only actors that I thought actually delivered on any level were Idris Elba and Charlie Day (especially the latter, who I think is a phenomenal comedic actor). That being said, I think it has less to do with the actors themselves then it does with the writing. It was just extremely predictable, filled with cliches and generic characters, and abysmal dialogue. I don't even know how many times I found myself cringing at line or scene. Ron Perlman's character was both incredibly cheesy and did not really serve much of a purpose, and what purpose he did serve could have been achieved in a much more effective way, I think.

It was just bad, bad writing, and it significantly took away from my enjoyment of it, despite a genuine effort on my part to look past the faults. Part of my disappointment was because I had initially been very, very psyched for this (I love kaiju stuff, I grew up watching Godzilla movies was practically obsessed with them for a period of time), and Del Toro's track record is relatively decent -- Pan's Labyrinth is absolutely phenomenal. I'm honestly a bit confounded that a director could make something like Pan's Labyrinth, and then not be able to see the blatant issues with the writing in this flick.

ETA: Oh, and I think the Mako character was a huge wasted opportunity. She was probably the best character in the movie, which isn't saying much, but even then I couldn't stand what they did with her. She came off rather "weak" and seemed to always need the leading man to come and help her, which was sort of at odds with the very character that it SEEMED like the filmmakers were actually trying to achieve.

Someone's been snorting fucking crack if they think this movie was better than Man of Steel.

As with most movies I went in with no real expectation, and I came away feeling like I had wasted my time. The acting was terrible, the characters timing was terrible - I mean, everyone is cheering and yelling hurray! when those two kaiju get taken out, but Idris Elba had to remind them that 2 of the mechs went down. And by two, I mean fucking half. The world sits on the brink of destruction and these people are cheering the fact that two fucking monsters have been taken down, all the time knowing that there are simply hundreds more waiting.

There was a real disconnect between all of the characters. We have the typical asshole, in this case the Australian douche, that doesn't accept the new/old guy coming into the fight. Instead of just, I don't know, accepting that there are no alternatives and that he should shut the fuck up and accept any help that he can get, we have the dick waving contest in the hallway.

Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe have give more emotion in a wet fart than what was seen in this movie. Idris Elba was the only reason I watched it, and I was disappointed that someone with such a cool name was essentially a walking cliché.

This movie was terrible. It was pretty, but terrible.

Archived