Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

The most awesome dumb movie ever made!

;)

Jeez, then where does that rank MOS since this was better than that? :smug:

Honest Trailers on the Most Awsome Dumb Movie Ever Made or the Dumbest Awsome Ever Made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWquPNoTc&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLFWHlH4koGZAeH9x2wWeTB32VCESjRI51

;)

Finally!

Ser Rod.,

In your opinion. Whereas PR's philosophic perspective is that "Robots fighting monsters is awesome!"

There goes Ser Scott, pretending that that premise doesn't cut to the heart of questions that have haunted thinkers since time immemorial :P

I finally watched Pacific Rim a week or so ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't imagine a better movie being made with a monster vs robot theme. Idris Elba is a treat to watch. When the movie was over, I didn't have the urge to poke my eyes out with something sharp, so that tells me that it must have been much more enjoyable than Man of Steel.

Oddly I watched both movies this weekend. Preferred Pacific Rim but neither was especially interesting. Superman really suffered from repeating a story I've heard/seen sooo many times. I mean yeah, what did I expect. Maybe now that they've gotten the origin story and Zod out of the way the series can produce interesting movies.

That's odd. Man of Steel isn't out (here, anyway) on Blu-ray until 2 December, whilst Pacific Rim, which came out later at the cinema, is out on 11 November. Odd.

Not that odd- December is just late enough that it could be considered aimed at the Christmas market, and is presumably being held back for such. Whereas Pacific Rim isn't really a big enough property to have that appeal.

What haunts me is why they didn't take the Kaiju out as they emerged from the rift with jaegers twice or three times their size. Never fight "fair".

I think they do address this: it takes a considerable portion of the world's resources to build the jaegers they had, and they needed quite a few jaegers to combat the threat along the Pacific coast wherever it emerged. Building a jaeger three times bigger than a kaiju would therefore be counter-productive.

Wert,

What about rotating jaegers guarding the rift and taking out the Kaiju as they emerge rather than waiting for them to get close to populated areas?

Inefficient. The rift is hundreds of miles from the nearest land (thousands from a mainland where they can build a jaegar base) and at the start the jaegars were coming through weeks apart. You can't stay on station for that length of time. They seemed to think it would work better just to monitor the rift and then dispatch jaegars when needed, and that did seem to work for a fair while.

Ser Scot,

Why is supermans disguise a pair of glasses? Better yet why does he even have a secret identity he's freakin superman!

I joke of course. Surely such minutiae details like where the Jagers were deployed from couldn't keep you from enjoying a film. If that were the case I feel a superman movie would give you tons more instances of plot devices that don't make total sense.

ETA: even before honest trailers I think everyone was wondering "why did they wait to use the sword?"

i loved the movie. it has a lot of flaws but it's about giant man controlled robots fighting giant monsters, IT'S AWESOME!!! no point in asking why this and why that, the story has flaws, the battles have flaws the characters have no depth but i could watch jagers fighting kaijus all day long, especially in or near cities.

Archived