Guillermo Del Toro's Pacific Rim

polishgenius

Both Man of Steel and Pacific Rim were brilliant pop-corn films.

MoS actually had people flying around punching each other through buildings! All I ever wanted from a superhero film. PR had giant monsters fighting Robots with swords. (I gotta agree with the sword bit though, if you've got it, use it!)

How anyone can complain about the awesomeness of those two things is beyond me.

Agree with the reviews here and recommend this to everybody. This is pure epic cinematic joy.

Plus for the love of God, it's an original idea. Please go see it.

We saw it in a tiny theatre on vacation. I liked it as it was not a remake. My son did lots of grumbling about Evangelian.

Mr. E,

Original? Really. No one ever thought of giant Robots fighting Giant Monsters before?

I'm guessing he meant it wasn't an adaptation of a comic, book, tv show or old film because it's not original in the slightest.

Mr. E,

Original? Really. No one ever thought of giant Robots fighting Giant Monsters before?

I'm guessing he meant it wasn't an adaptation of a comic, book, tv show or old film because it's not original in the slightest.

which is all anyone really means when it is said to be original - it's not a remake of a movie from the 80s. It's not a popular graphic novel adapted to a movie.

Finally got to see this over the weekend and loved it. Expected cheese, got cheese. Got plenty of entertainment from the whole thing and would easily watch it again and eventually will get the DVD.

I'd seen a question way back in the thread about the sword and why it wasn't used before - not sure if it got an actual answer, but my thought was just that it was an upgrade from them rebuilding Gypsy and trying to make improvements. Our Hero didn't know about it and Meiko might have been a little gunshy at taking control given what happened on her first drift.

Definitely would have liked to have seen the Chinese and Russian teams get a little more time, but overall had a blast watching it.

LF,

Is Clark, at the end of MoS, attempting to disguse himself? Lois already knows exactly who he is. It's his adopted name that isn't widely known.

Are you saying that the typical "hiding in plain sight" trope is not in play when Clark goes to work for a newspaper right after he became the most famous person in the world? I mean, he's not hiding from Lois but going further than that seems like a stretch, even if you factor in all the things working in his favor like Faora and Zod killing most of the people who witnessed their...disagreement

which is all anyone really means when it is said to be original - it's not a remake of a movie from the 80s. It's not a popular graphic novel adapted to a movie.

Finally got to see this over the weekend and loved it. Expected cheese, got cheese. Got plenty of entertainment from the whole thing and would easily watch it again and eventually will get the DVD.

I'd seen a question way back in the thread about the sword and why it wasn't used before - not sure if it got an actual answer, but my thought was just that it was an upgrade from them rebuilding Gypsy and trying to make improvements. Our Hero didn't know about it and Meiko might have been a little gunshy at taking control given what happened on her first drift.

Definitely would have liked to have seen the Chinese and Russian teams get a little more time, but overall had a blast watching it.

The sword was added by Mako during the rebuild and she never had time to tell Raleigh about it. (Explanation was, IIRC, one of the things that got cut.

Pacific Rim was simply terrible. I mean, I could watch Transformers easier than this movie.

Gah, I can't express how bored I was in this movie. I couldn't even enjoy it for what it is.

What's it like to be dead inside?

Finally watched this over the weekend and I loved it.

I went wanting to watch a movie about Giant robots and Giant monsters fighting each other. Thats what it was.

I loved the fact that they didn't get to involved in a plot or really hammer the love story side. They basically said "here is what is happening, here is what we are doing about it, enjoy the smashy smashy".

It was great.

Francis Bucks'review mirrors my own. It should have been so much better.

One of many disappointing blockbusters this year I fear. And indeed hard to believe that the man who created such an interesting and delicate film like Pan's Labyrinth brings zero sensitivity to this piece. It's a blunt instrument, with too much cheese.

Greywolf,

He said it was an "original idea". His words. You are putting words in his mouth, not me. "Pacific Rim" while an original screenplay was not an original "idea".

Oh I'm sure plenty of people have thought 'wouldn't it be great to make a Godzilla vs Transformers movie' (I know I have). But it took Pacific Rim to make that happen.

This is a silly argument. Let's just all agree that Mister.E probably meant 'original property' when he said 'original idea' and move on.

Oh I'm sure plenty of people have thought 'wouldn't it be great to make a Godzilla vs Transformers movie' (I know I have). But it took Pacific Rim to make that happen.

As a movie, maybe. I'm reasonably certain that Mecha fighting giant monsters existed in other mediums before Pacific Rim, though.

Greywolf,

It's an original film but hardly an original "idea" as Mr. E claimed.

Exactly.

I do agree with the sentiment that original films/screenplays are something to enjoy though as without them it's as if the medium of film is devoid of producing stories of their own. Which clearly isn't the case but often feels like it when you look at Hollywood.

Has a sequel been confirmed yet?

Archived