Why do people call Edmure Tully stupid?

Jamie Lannistah

As others have said, Edmure is not even close to responsible for the Red Wedding. Yes, his strategic competence is questionable, but I think he's one of the most realistic nobles in the series: He's probably had a pretty easy life up until TWotFK, so his martial abilities have never really been tested (despite his formal education) and he's been more concerned with social events (and, ahem, social *events* if one considers where he was during Jaime's escape attempt) than politics - consider that he's unwed while in his mid- to late-twenties, which is unusual for Westerosi nobles.

When called upon to lead men into war, he does so to the best of his abilities with...varying results. Certainly, allowing himself to be taken while camped outside RR with his entire army demonstrates a lack of preparedness, and he makes multiple decisions from the heart (allowing the smallfolk into RR, sending his bannermen back to their homes) rather than from the brain. There is his pyrrhic victory to consider, but I'll say in Edmure's defense that he probably felt he was going above and beyond his orders to just hold Riverrun. And let's face it: Dude did kind of beat Tywin in the field, and while I'm sure everyone will try to diminish this in some way or another, I think it's impressive. When faced with hanging day after day, he is as courageous and dignified as most would be in his situation, and he takes a bold risk in allowing his uncle to escape.

Edmure was never able to achieve the respect of his father, uncle, sister, or nephew (this last one may have hurt most of all, considering that Robb is, what, fifteen years his junior?). He was not born to be a king, and perhaps he was not even born to be Lord of Riverrun. He's...kind of a goober, in some ways (Hoster's funeral scene is just cruel to Edmure), but he's fundamentally a very good man.

Yeah I think he's alright and he does seem to be one of the true good guys, even if he unintentionally caused some problems. The series isn't over yet, he might have more to say. If anything he has built up goodwill with the other River Lords, and I think they would want him back. With the outlook that the Lannister's and Frey's have its not crazy to think he could be restored to power sometime soon.

• 1 year later...

He's not stupid, but he has made some bad decisions/tactical errors, such as trying to defend every foot of his land, and he also managed to lose to Jaime outside Riverrun. That being said, I do think he is a Lord who is genuinely concerned about his smallfolk, and his plan to stop Tywin at the fords was tactical genius, and it was Robb's fault that he didn't fully explain his plans to Edmure.

ETA: Edmure was a bad bowman, but was he that bad with a sword? We don't really know. And besides, Mace Tyrell, Tywin Lannister, possibly Jon Arryn, and Doran Martell ( even when he was fit) were not exactly known as great swordfighters, so I don't think it would be an issue even if Edmure was bad at arms, as long as he has some redeeming qualities.

Because people like to find a scapegoat for Robb fucking up his own war. Edmure was a perfectly fine Lord untill he was dragged into a war by his own family. Instead of being praised for sticking with his family (hello Lysa), he is being judged for not being able to read Robb's mind. He will proof his worth in time, when Robb, Cat and the Blackfish are all dead, the Tully's will be happy to have a great leader like Edmure Tully. He has learned his lessons the hard way.

Edmure's a nice dude, he's just not incredibly brilliant. He also acts like a child at some points, being whiny to Catelyn, then avoiding her when she tries to bring up real issues, rather than just telling him how great he is. I do feel bad for him, because he's outshined by all of his family. When I think of the Tully/Stark clan, he's usually the last one I remember (before Hoster, but he doesn't count, as he was dying for half of the series and dead for the other half). A lifetime of people remembering him last must be hard on a guy. He just wants some time in the spotlight, but his methods of getting it aren't exactly wonderful.

Instead of being praised for sticking with his family (hello Lysa), he is being judged for not being able to read Robb's mind.

I do not think he had a choice here, considering that the Riverlands were under attack by the Lannisters ( for Catelyn's actions), and so he couldn't really not defend his land or decline allying with Robb against the Lannisters.

Edmures actions were done to protect the king by denying Tywin access to the westerlands, fresh levies, supplies and Casterly Rock. From where he was sat it would have seemed like an obvious move. From a wider perspective he doomed the entire war.

Not even certain it doomed the war. The Tyrells still might of attacked Stannis even without Tywin's army.

Really, because as said before, it's easier to blame him for Robb's mistakes. And I suppose the show has contributed with that when he couldn't even torch his own father.

The true is that Edmure is one of the few Lords who really cares for his people. Many other care in a vague way, "oh, yeah, poor them...". He actually tried to protect them from harm when the Lannister army pillaged them. Maybe that is a mistake considering the circumstances, but how could he know?

Also, #StopTheGingerHate.

Because he is a righteous man who loves the smallfolk but meek. He did mess it up that one time when he fought the Lannisters at the ford but he wasn't aware of the overall plan, so I don't think they treated him very well after it. Also, he isn't the most intelligent man. I like him though.

Archived