Why do people call Edmure Tully stupid?

Jamie Lannistah

I don't think a single event reflects the impression. He was in charge of Riverland defence and got steamrolled in the first place, careless if there were just border raids or something else. That puts him very low in the competence rating from the beginning.

In his defense...Edmure was in charge of a major army, Robb should have included him in his confidential plans

He wasn't, he was in charge of a garrison. He only got an army by recalling the riverlords.

Additionally, when he called back the banners he left the riverlands once more exposed to Tywins raiders. So in this instance his pride overruled his much vaunted heart of gold. Whilst he was making preperations at the fords his smallfolk had none of the protection he gets so much credit for earlier arguing for

I find that he was just really unlucky really. If Tywin did not reach Kings Landing in time then there would be no issue.

But in the context of a military world, he disobeyed orders. He didn't have a bad intention, but he disobeyed. If the outcome was not serious this would be forgotten, but unfortunately this meant the defeat of Stannis' forces and the survival of Joffrey.

it is likely that when Robb and the Blackfish made the plans for an ambush on the run, and were unable to relay any further information to him. They were hoping that Edmure stayed in Riverrun as he was told.

I don't think he is stupid really, perhaps not as brilliant as Robb and BF in war. With veterans like Stannis, Tywin, the BF and Jaime, he looks stupid and weak in comparison. Perhaps he will shine later on in the series.

Edmure is the perfect example of a boy who grows up with an overbearing, domineering older sister. Even in his adulthood she's still second guessing him all the time and telling him what to do.

And worst of all, she is right most of the time, because over his whole life he has become so conditioned to having someone else think for him that he is clearly not the most competent of decision makers.

I find that he was just really unlucky really. If Tywin did not reach Kings Landing in time then there would be no issue.

But in the context of a military world, he disobeyed orders. He didn't have a bad intention, but he disobeyed. If the outcome was not serious this would be forgotten, but unfortunately this meant the defeat of Stannis' forces and the survival of Joffrey.

it is likely that when Robb and the Blackfish made the plans for an ambush on the run, and were unable to relay any further information to him. They were hoping that Edmure stayed in Riverrun as he was told.

I don't think he is stupid really, perhaps not as brilliant as Robb and BF in war. With veterans like Stannis, Tywin, the BF and Jaime, he looks stupid and weak in comparison. Perhaps he will shine later on in the series.

Jon at 16 is a greater commander than Edmure will ever be. I wouldn't hold my breath on Edmure becoming another Blackfish. He is more in the Mace Tyrell league of leadership.

I have a feeling that Edmure is being set-up for a big return in the last couple of books . The bad things that have happened to him and his imprisonment by the Lannisters will toughen him up and we may see him become a major player in the Game of Thrones

I am massively behind this idea. Let the floppy fish ride again!

Edmure is the perfect example of a boy who grows up with an overbearing, domineering older sister. Even in his adulthood she's still second guessing him all the time and telling him what to do.

And worst of all, she is right most of the time, because over his whole life he has become so conditioned to having someone else think for him that he is clearly not the most competent of decision makers.

Edmure was only about 9-10 when Catelyn left for the North, and their age gap was big enough (9 years) that I doubt they spent much time together and she influenced him all that much.

The guy fell for Tywin's trap which Ned saw within seconds. He lost Battles to an idiot like Jaime(Jaime was a very average commander before they chopped off his arm), got himself taken captive and basically screwed up big time in the battle for the fords. Having said all that He's still likable since he obviously cares for his people and is a very realistic character(much more like the average Joe then other characters) - End Verdict - He's a likable fool.

Regardless of his intelligent level currently up for debate in this thread, I think most can agree that Edmure has not been portrayed thus far in a positive light, even barring straight out opinions from POVs. He was so interested in making a name for himself that he (at a minimum) widens the interpretation of Robb's orders. His biggest concern for most of a SOS is how attractive his Frey wife will be. He makes a fool out of himself during his father's burial at sea out of plain stubbornness.

Edmure seems... immature, not necessarily stupid. The Red Wedding (come on, the guy is not to blame for this), his torture at the hands of the Freys (yes I will call it a form a torture), and exile to Casterly Rock may sober him to the harsh realities of what is going on and he will perhaps start acting like an adult.

Or he may continue his whining...his story is far from over so we shall see.

Oh please. Edmure hadn't seen Cat for over 14 years. He is a boy who grew up with Hoster and Brynden Tully, legends in their own regard, and craved the respect and regard that they have. His father wasn't even dead and he called the banner men and split them up, instead of amassing the forces at Riverrun. In one of Hoster's lucid moments he says as much. Ned Stark called Edmure's moves something someone with inexperience would use and that Tywin was counting on it. He was a a young man seeking his own glory.

For me i think it is less the major military failings and more the way he just comes off as a bit of a dolt. It paints my perception of him and makes his military errors seem worse. The biggest example was his lameness about Joslyn and marrying the Frey girl. he is suppose to be older...and hopefully wiser then Rob....but he sulks around about it " Dude she better be hot bro...cause i totally only do HOT chics....cause i'm the man...who's into HOT chics" It just made me feel like he was such a tool box that I have a hard time seeing him in any other light.

Another thing in my long list or reasons why almost everything that goes wrong in Westeros is a result of good intentioned Cat making everyones life a total misery. :)

Another thing in my long list or reasons why almost everything that goes wrong in Westeros is a result of good intentioned Cat making everyones life a total misery. :)

Edmure hadn't seen Cat in over 14 years. His inferiority complex stems from standing the the shadows of Hoster and Brynden and having everyone laugh at his floppy fish.

Edmure hadn't seen Cat in over 14 years. His inferiority complex stems from standing the the shadows of Hoster and Brynden and having everyone laugh at his floppy fish.

he hasn't seen her in that long.....but he lives with it every day that his father wishes Cat was a boy. Because she is better then you son.....and your weak....and stupid.... It's the kind of things that can stick around 14 years :)

he hasn't seen her in that long.....but he lives with it every day that his father wishes Cat was a boy. Because she is better then you son.....and your weak....and stupid.... It's the kind of things that can stick around 14 years :)

Hoster actually told Edmure that he is weak and stupid and that he wished Cat was a boy? Please reference the text, because I never saw where he said you're weak and stupid.

Hoster actually told Edmure that he is weak and stupid and that he wished Cat was a boy? Please reference the text, because I never saw where he said you're weak and stupid.

No i was taking some Liberty there :) I will look for some of the text from cat though. It was her and Brynden that gave me the impression that Cat was his favorite and he didn't miss a chance to let Edmure know.

Tell that Theon, who didn't remember this after mere nine years.

Give Edmure a break

I think he was foreshadow by his father and uncle, he carved not to be respect as his father and uncle, but to be just a little bit respected, because he had no respect at all from his men.

He fought Tywin in the hope people would respect him more, in the hope that his nephew, the king, would honor him with his respect, that he become more important than he was so far.

I feel sorry for Edmure, he was being bossed around by everyone, even his sister, Cat. And she was not always right, she commited one of the gravest mistakes ever, she released the Kingslayer, she released her son's most valuable prisoner to save Arya and Sansa, ok, they were her daughters, but she needed to realise that the posibility of a failure was pretty huge, and her son needed the Kingslayer to hold Lord Tywin back.

Releasling him she gave the posibility to formulate the Red Wedding, Roose Bolton showed his fangs, Tywin used his brains as usual, and the Freys being stupid as they are agreeded to assasinated the King in the North, they were offered Riverrun and the ravange against Robb's vow break.

If we can blame someone really, it's Catelyn Stark (née Tully)

Archived