‘Muslim Patrol’ vigilantes forcing ‘people to stop drinking and women to cover up’ in London

cseresz.reborn

One thing British people are notoriously crap at is observing local customs in other countries and generally having any level of respect for other countries customs/language etc...

That's your opinion, and I can't speak for every British person, but I know for certain that I, and everyone I know, do observe local customs and have respect for the country we are in. I'm not talking about holiday resorts that are primarily for British people, but when you're in a place like Dubai or somewhere that is very restrictive, those customs must be observed or else there are severe consequences. The same should be for here - why do people who take such an extreme view of things and set out to harass and intimidate other innocent people seem to get away with it over here? It's quite frustrating, and speaking as someone who has been called a 'disgusting English whore' on the street, it's pretty upsetting too.

So... we should be more like Dubai, is what you're saying? :wideeyed:

Yeah, that's a great idea.

Is that what I said? Come on, you know it isn't :lol: I simply meant that we would get severely punished in countries such as Dubai, whereas certain extremist groups over here are almost allowed to get away with horrible behaviour so we don't upset the apple cart.

Well yeah, one reason we can claim the moral high ground here is that in our country we don't punish people for merely having hateful opinions. And street abuse is just as illegal whether it comes from a Muslim guy or a chav. Maybe we should deport all the chavs too?

Just build a fence around Croydon. No need to deport anyone as such.

Hohoho, oppressing other groups based around sociocultural divisions is hilarious.

Is that what I said? Come on, you know it isn't :lol: I simply meant that we would get severely punished in countries such as Dubai, whereas certain extremist groups over here are almost allowed to get away with horrible behaviour so we don't upset the apple cart.

Hi, you snuck in a very important word. They aren't allowed to get away with it. Start getting worried when they are, I guess?

Hohoho, oppressing other groups based around sociocultural divisions is hilarious.

Actually, it is kinda funny if you've been to Croydon, which I am guessing you have not? It's generally known as the place where bins get nicked and set on fire by said chavs as weekend entertainment.

Or as one local put it (his words, not mine):

Having lived in Croydon all my life(24 yrs) i have discovered through travelling that Croydon is the most unfriendly place on the face on the planet. The locals are all miserable arseholes and the traffic is mind boggling. As a despatch rider for a year on holiday from uni it was a well known fact that the one place that a bike courier hates to go was Croydon. At night large groups of males can be found out being rowdy. The architecture is appauling. The women are classless slags. The police are brutal.

There are lots and lots of lovely places in the UK, but Croydon ain't it.

That's your opinion, and I can't speak for every British person, but I know for certain that I, and everyone I know, do observe local customs and have respect for the country we are in.

Most will, but, speaking from experience, every time I've been out and about in a foreign city - be it Krakow, Athens or Berlin - in the last few years and I've seen or heard, in the distance, a big drunken group of louts staggering around and being loud and crass they have, invariably, turned out to be British. Our youth holiday culture is a disgrace.

But anyway, on the main topic- as has been said this is out of order by the people concerned but it isn't a sign of an insidious Islamic anything, any more than the EDL marches are a sign of anything more than a minority of British people being xenophobic pricks.

I find it amusing that someone wishes for good old days which seem to be a form of Islamic fundamentalism with a different label.

Or is it just a wish for a time when women "knew" their place, LGBT had the "decency" to stay in the closet, and believing that if your neighbor wasn't Christian it was morally sound to believe s/he'd be sent to eternal hellfire when God pulls a Dr. Mengele at the end of time?

AlexT,

My Grandad was a drunken old racist and my parents told me they were getting divorced on the stroke of midnight at the Millennium celebrations wen I was ten years old. At Disneyland.

If I'm a poor imitation of that then I'm utterly fucked.

Holy shit! What was the logic, a gurantee you'd never ever want to go to a Disney park ever again?

That's your opinion, and I can't speak for every British person, but I know for certain that I, and everyone I know, do observe local customs and have respect for the country we are in. I'm not talking about holiday resorts that are primarily for British people, but when you're in a place like Dubai or somewhere that is very restrictive, those customs must be observed or else there are severe consequences. The same should be for here - why do people who take such an extreme view of things and set out to harass and intimidate other innocent people seem to get away with it over here? It's quite frustrating, and speaking as someone who has been called a 'disgusting English whore' on the street, it's pretty upsetting too.

yes and the amount of people you know is quite tiny in relation to the population of this island, we are well known around the world for being horrible abroad. yes you can say it's a minority of the English population which is similar in proportion to the people that motivated this thread.

Even if the English abroad aren't tearing things up then we're pretty ignorant generally and rarely bother to learn foreign languages, many of the people I know do but they are definitely not reflective of the wider population in fact we actively sway our lives so we do things that most of the general populous aren't doing lol.

Most will, but, speaking from experience, every time I've been out and about in a foreign city - be it Krakow, Athens or Berlin - in the last few years and I've seen or heard, in the distance, a big drunken group of louts staggering around and being loud and crass they have, invariably, turned out to be British. Our youth holiday culture is a disgrace.

Also look at all the ex-pats in Spain or the like complaining on Daily Mail comment pages about foreign people coming into this country not learning the language yet they live in Spain and know two words of Spanish.

Something else we seem to do a lot in this country is take the piss out of foreign people's English accents when hardly any of us can speak another language. Something I notice so often, in fact a workmate of mine did it this morning when there was a conference call going on where one of the people was from Poland and 'umming' a lot on the call and yes before anyone asks I did bring him up on it.

What drives me nuts is people who abandon their old country for a new one, presumably because the new one is "better", and then, turn around and do everything they can to make their new country more like the old one.

Well, that is democracy in action. To some extent I agree with you though - maintaining/expanding secularism (while maintaining freedom of religion) is, IMO, one of the keys to ensuring democracy lasts.

People can believe what they want about drinking or gay marriage, but they shouldn't try to impose bans. Neighborhoods, however, I can see seeking some peaceful means to reduce things like public intoxication.

What drives me nuts is people who abandon their old country for a new one, presumably because the new one is "better", and then, turn around and do everything they can to make their new country more like the old one.

Not seeing the cognitive dissonance, even if we are to assume that this sort of behaviour is actually common (rather than a phantom like so many other behaviours immigrants are non-specifically accused of). You might, for example, 'abandon' your country of birth because you hate the climate, but at the same time you might quite like the political culture: it would make sense to then participate in attempts to change the political culture of the new country. This sort of thing would surely constitute engagement and assimilation, rather than the reverse.

I've been called Muslim whore once in the UK, which is interesting since I am a platinum blonde Scandinavian but at the time I was wearing a scarf over my head, due to the weather.

But on the plus side at least your interlocutor appreciated the possibility of conversion rather than assuming a mindless equivalence between appearance and religion.

There's a music festival here in Novi Sad, Serbia that's really popular called Exit. Every summer there's a lot of young Brits here, and yeah, they can sure party and, um, get dirty... :dunno: When I've been on holiday to Zakynthos the people in the agency actually warned me about British tourists, lol.

Well, that is democracy in action. To some extent I agree with you though - maintaining/expanding secularism (while maintaining freedom of religion) is, IMO, one of the keys to ensuring democracy lasts.

People can believe what they want about drinking or gay marriage, but they shouldn't try to impose bans. Neighborhoods, however, I can see seeking some peaceful means to reduce things like public intoxication.

Do not the lifelong residents of the country have the right to try to keep their culture?

Not seeing the cognitive dissonance, even if we are to assume that this sort of behaviour is actually common (rather than a phantom like so many other behaviours immigrants are non-specifically accused of). You might, for example, 'abandon' your country of birth because you hate the climate, but at the same time you might quite like the political culture: it would make sense to then participate in attempts to change the political culture of the new country. This sort of thing would surely constitute engagement and assimilation, rather than the reverse.

What if the two cultures are not compatible?

Archived