Football 36: When God closes a door, he opens a transfer window

Nas!

Possible/likely talking points:

Zaha: is he really that good? Or is he another over-inflated young Englishman?

Does Alan Pardew do all his scouting through Football Manager 2011? Vive l'armée de Toon!

Winners in the Spanish, German and Scottish top leagues are pretty much decided, while England, Italy, France and Netherlands are not yet certain.

MLS: training camps are opening, rosters are being decided, a few of us care.

Africa Cup of Nations is newly underway.

Money/racism/diving/advertising is ruining football.

You may begin.

Andrew Carroll Watch : Day 267 - he might be back vs Arsenal on Wednesday, yes?

Let's consider the pool open on the nature of the injury he will sustain if so. I haven't heard anything one way or the other though, where are you getting this from?

In other West Ham news, Big Sam's been charged with misconduct for daring to suggest that the referees at Old Trafford might be biased.

Andrew Carroll Watch : Day 267 - he might be back vs Arsenal on Wednesday, yes?

Let's consider the pool open on the nature of the injury he will sustain if so. I haven't heard anything one way or the other though, where are you getting this from?

Well, people are saying that he's "very close", so I expect he'll make an appearance in the Arsenal game. Unless Chamakh's on a hat trick or something. Even then, we'll almost certainly lose our last actual professional defender to injury, so the big dumb lug may have to come on as a centre back and really earn that £80K/week chasing down Theo Walcott.

Zaha: is he really that good? Or is he another over-inflated young Englishman?

As a United fan, I really can't see it. I mean yes, he's talented, but out wide is the position we're strongest in and none of the players there are getting old or anything - if we're going to buy a young winger/wide forward, it needs to either be someone who'll be an immediate significant improvement on Young, the weak point of our wingers, or someone who will in a few years be an elite-level player. Zaha strikes me as neither of those things. When you look at the sorts of players around his age bracket (or younger) who can play similar positions (in various vastly different ways) to him - James Rodriguez, Viktor Fischer, Erik Lamela, Stephan El-Shaarawy, heck, even Neymar; not to mention ones we might have got in summer but missed out on - Shaqiri, Hazard and Reus - it just makes one wonder why the hell we're apparently so bent on him.

The answer, of course, is that he did us over in the League Cup last season, and Fergie loves buying players who do well against us; sometimes that's a useful trait but others it's downright irritating.

Well, people are saying that he's "very close", so I expect he'll make an appearance in the Arsenal game. Unless Chamakh's on a hat trick or something. Even then, we'll almost certainly lose our last actual professional defender to injury, so the big dumb lug may have to come on as a centre back and really earn that £80K/week chasing down Theo Walcott.

Don't you dare refer to Hodor as a big dumb lug! :angry:

Ini, the Barclays Fantasy League has his as ready to return on Wednesday. No other information confirming his availability or fitness.

As a United fan, I really can't see it. I mean yes, he's talented, but out wide is the position we're strongest in and none of the players there are getting old or anything - if we're going to buy a young winger/wide forward, it needs to either be someone who'll be an immediate significant improvement on Young, the weak point of our wingers, or someone who will in a few years be an elite-level player. Zaha strikes me as neither of those things. When you look at the sorts of players around his age bracket (or younger) who can play similar positions (in various vastly different ways) to him - James Rodriguez, Viktor Fischer, Erik Lamela, Stephan El-Shaarawy, heck, even Neymar; not to mention ones we might have got in summer but missed out on - Shaqiri, Hazard and Reus - it just makes one wonder why the hell we're apparently so bent on him.

oh, you'd settle for one of the top 5 most wanted players in the world? :lol:

You know what United player we really shouldn't have lost?

Pogba. I know he wanted to leave so perhaps we could not keep him. But he is becoming every bit the star at Juventus that we thought he would grow into. I think he would quickly become a first 11 player for this United side.

oh, you'd settle for one of the top 5 most wanted players in the world? :lol:

How does that suggest 'settling'? We should be going for the most wanted players in the world. The 'even' is supposed to set him apart because the money one would be paying for him would be vastly excessive to the others because of the hype, admittedly I guess I didn't word that too well (it was half three in the morning, sue me :P), but he's the quality of player we should be going for.

And yes, we absolutely positively should have kept Pogba. That was a fuckup and a half. Ah well, here's hoping that Phil Jones can become that player for us.

How does that suggest 'settling'? We should be going for the most wanted players in the world. The 'even' is supposed to set him apart because the money one would be paying for him would be vastly excessive to the others because of the hype, admittedly I guess I didn't word that too well (it was half three in the morning, sue me:P), but he's the quality of player we should be going for.

well, you certainly didn't word that well and it indicated "settling" for neymar.

Put it this way; I don't want us to go for Neymar, but largely because he's likely to cost at least 10mil more than even the most highly rated young players in Europe atm, and with less experience against the highest levels than them.

Whereas I don't want Zaha because I can't see how he's going to improve us much.

Archived