The Walking Dead Graphic Novel/TV Comparison (TV and GN SPOILERS)

Relic

See, I don't think they should combine them, but now that it is likely the Gov will return I can't see them bringing Negan in anytime soon. So, since The Gov himself was different from his comic counterpart, I wonder if he won't take more of a Negan-ish turn and start a new colony with only rough and nasty people. He already has his two goons in tow, and Randall's group of 30 rapey, murdery types could be in the area still.

If I were the showrunner, I'd wrap up the Gov plotline in the first few episodes of season 4, then Something Happens, then the second half of S4 the group is back On The Road, then make Negan the S5 antagonist. However, I worry Negan would be too cartoon/caricature on the show (he's borderline in the comic).

I hadn't thought about that Morpheus but it makes perfect sense that Randall's group could end up being one and the same as Negan's group (especially if they never shift the show to Washington area, which isn't a bad idea because filming around DC might be tricky from a production standpoint).

I think it's very unlikely they will combine the Governor and Negan; I believe they'll either keep the Gov away for half the season while establishing the connections between the Woodbury people and Rick's group and present a new threat that might end up allied with the Gov, or solve this in the first half of the season (maybe his death will be the big mid-season finale?).

Tbh, I'm not that disappointed they're keeping him around; Morrisey's portrayal of him is so compelling that I really can't see a problem with that. I'd rather hope they know what they're doing and will use him wisely, though, now that I think about it, could it be that keeping the Governor around was what pushed that guy to leave the show a few months ago?

Reading the GN, I found it a bit anticlimactic that the Gov was killed by a no-name who-cares minor character. I could see this being a bone of contention, that certain people working on the show would find it more dramatic/satisfying if a major character killed him. (Over on the no-GN-spoilers threads, I read much speculation of "who will kill the Gov in the finale?" including: Rick, Merle, Michonne, Andrea, Tyreese, Milton, etc.) So maybe they copped out and decided to leave it hanging until next season so Kirkman and Gimple and all the other writers and producers can get on the same page.

I agree Morrisey did a great job. The seconds leading up to his freakout last night were truly terrifying!

The Gov isn't interesting enough to turn into some kind of long term villain. Boo to that.

Andrea was not redeemed in the end, she died as she lived.

Maybe is she spent more time trying to pick up the Magical Pliers of Handcuff Cutting +2 than looking at Milton she wouldn't have gone out like that.

Anyway, pretty silly finale, but then again, the show has been pretty silly from the get go. I actually like the fact that they are going to try and turn the prison into a functional community, that MIGHT be interesting if done right. We'll see.

Reading the GN, I found it a bit anticlimactic that the Gov was killed by a no-name who-cares minor character. I could see this being a bone of contention, that certain people working on the show would find it more dramatic/satisfying if a major character killed him. (Over on the no-GN-spoilers threads, I read much speculation of "who will kill the Gov in the finale?" including: Rick, Merle, Michonne, Andrea, Tyreese, Milton, etc.) So maybe they copped out and decided to leave it hanging until next season so Kirkman and Gimple and all the other writers and producers can get on the same page.

I agree Morrisey did a great job. The seconds leading up to his freakout last night were truly terrifying!

I actually found the fact that a no-name character killed him to be rather compelling in the comic. I was hoping his people would turn on him and kill him in the end, after shooting Judith in Beth's arms. I would have been happy with him dying, at whoever's hands. But his driving off into the sunset? No.

Maybe is she spent more time trying to pick up the Magical Pliers of Handcuff Cutting +2 than looking at Milton she wouldn't have gone out like that.

Anyway, pretty silly finale, but then again, the show has been pretty silly from the get go. I actually like the fact that they are going to try and turn the prison into a functional community, that MIGHT be interesting if done right. We'll see.

I was screaming for joy when Andrea revealed her bite. Such a godawful character compared to the likeable, competent person in the comics. Glad she's finally gone, and she's no longer available to sleep with the enemy and cause more mayhem to both sides of the aisle. I even felt bad for the Governor having to deal with her crazy ass all the time, let alone Rick's annoyance with her.

Andrea taking her sweet time to work those pliers got her the fate she deserved.

Not sure why this show managed to make people like Dale, Lori, and Andrea worse than in the books. The different direction didn't seem to make for a better show, just seemed like the writers were bored.

I'm going to be honest here, and I want to know if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone else feel like ditching the show? Calling quits, never going back.

I've just honestly felt very disappointed with the direction of it. Not just a complete deviation of the comics, or the bastardization of beloved characters. I am thinking about not watching anymore because I often find myself being bored by lots of episodes.

The first half of the third season was good, not great but definitely good. It was worth watching, the group being more disciplined, Lori and T-Dog's dramatic deaths etc.

I felt like outside of the episode "Clear" I was disinterested. I found myself not really caring about what happened much.

Look I don't hate the show, I want it to be so much better, like the potential its got. But I can only put up with being bored with filler episodes by a show for so long.

I'm going to be honest here, and I want to know if anyone else feels the same. Does anyone else feel like ditching the show? Calling quits, never going back.

Nope. 10 boring filler episodes are worth one of the show at its best. And since I've not found a single episode to be boring filler nonsense, well, Nope.

Yeah... but my main reasoning would be that the characters continually make the worst possible and most unbelievable decisions. None of these fucking idiots would still be alive at this point in the zombie apocalypse.

That was really fucking stupid. It's as if they wanted to send her out with one last act of stupidity. I was shouting "what fucking use is it staring at him waiting to turn when you could be escaping?". A mercy killing for the character and I think tv Maggie is more close to comic Andrea at this stage anyhow.

The whole plier thing had me wanting to grab my xbox control and press "A" or wiggle the D-pad in the appropiate direction at the correct time.

The Governor thing was nonsensical and lame. I know he was probably the best villain in the comic (Negan feels like a replacement of him in many ways) but it was fucking cowardly to keep him in it that way. In terms of writing, I wonder if there were rewrites on the Mazarra story. He said at the start of the season his mission was to move through the comic material quickly rather than stalling. I could see the showrunners insisting on the Gov staying and that being something MAzarra would hate.

Carl was cool with his "do or die" attitude and parenting skills towards his dad. The boy he shot should have been shown how to hand over a gun without pointing the fucking barrel in someone's face anyhow,

The big battle was lame too. I guess Merle really did save Rick's gang as it was a walk in the park defending it in the end.

The episode still didn't have me thinking "I'm done with this show" at any point. Just disappointment at the final given all the hype. "27 people die". They didn't mention that we'd only know two of them.

The episode still didn't have me thinking "I'm done with this show" at any point. Just disappointment at the final given all the hype. "27 people die". They didn't mention that we'd only know two of them.

We knew three, remember Allen :cool4:

I agree that the second half of the season wasn't half as brilliant as we expected from the first 8 episodes, but it still managed to keep me more interested than, say, season 7 of Doctor Who, or the last few seasons of True Blood. And I am curious to see what exactly they're going to do with the Woodbury people, and the Governor's triumphant return!

Btw, I've just read this article and:

"We are going to amp up the threat of the walkers, because they've started to seem like a manageable threat. They are not a manageable threat," she said. "But, it is the people who you think you can trust who betray you, that you have to fear. It is the monster inside you. We all have them. How do we keep them in check?"

Asked for elaboration, Hurd implied that someone from within Rick's camp is going to turn on him. "You never know who is going to, you know, who is going to be the one who's had enough. Like, Shane saw Rick as a threat to their survival. He's not the only one who's going to have those feelings."

So, my guess is that the walkers will break into the season and plenty of the Woodbury extras will die. Some of them will actually have a face and a name and will defy Rick's authority, not to mention Tyreese might not be entirely happy with the way he runs things

Yeah... but my main reasoning would be that the characters continually make the worst possible and most unbelievable decisions. None of these fucking idiots would still be alive at this point in the zombie apocalypse.

Actually, I think they make believable (bad) decisions. Very human. I don't know any one who makes the right choice all the time, and that's in civilized society where you've spent your life learning the rules. There are no rules here. Only feeling your way through a new situation.

So, yeah, I think the characters make stupid choices sometimes, but I chalk it up to human nature over writer incompetence (not say the latter doesn't exist...).

Not sure if this is considered a spoiler, but here's a clue to the governor's future in the show.

Hollywood Reporter is saying the Governor is a series regular next year.

We knew three, remember Allen :cool4:

I agree that the second half of the season wasn't half as brilliant as we expected from the first 8 episodes, but it still managed to keep me more interested than, say, season 7 of Doctor Who, or the last few seasons of True Blood. And I am curious to see what exactly they're going to do with the Woodbury people, and the Governor's triumphant return!

Btw, I've just read this article and:

So, my guess is that the walkers will break into the season and plenty of the Woodbury extras will die. Some of them will actually have a face and a name and will defy Rick's authority, not to mention Tyreese might not be entirely happy with the way he runs things

I'd say Tyreese is the number one candidate for that. I don't think it will be so much as a betrayal but I think he may step up and think he can run things better. He's technically an outsider for both camps so should make an ideal compromise.

As for Myrrdin's spoiler comment

Series regular? I don't really see how they can keep him in it all the time. Is he going to attack them every week? Merle coming back was one thing but there's no way the Governor would be allowed into the group. Unless they follow him as a side story, gathering a new army of maniacs? I guess they could amalgamate him into Negan.

Since my "spoiler" is being discussed openly in the non-GN thread, I guess it's not a spoiler. :)

It would be nice for this thread to have something held sacred as a spoiler that the other one doesn't :) It's usually like a witch-hunt over there for anything bordering on a spoiler. I'm surprised they got away with it.

After Michonne tracks down the Gov she is going to have new pets. That is how the Gov will be a regular next season.

That would be one of the few ways his continued presence could make sense.

It would be nice for this thread to have something held sacred as a spoiler that the other one doesn't :) It's usually like a witch-hunt over there for anything bordering on a spoiler.

No kidding, I once got chewed out for discussing one of those "Next time on...." previews that airs at the end of an episode. I figured something out in public like that was fair game.

Archived