The Walking Dead Graphic Novel/TV Comparison (TV and GN SPOILERS)

Relic

This thread assumes you have read most to all of the GN and are current with the show. i s'pose casting for next season could be considered a spoiler for some people, but i doubt anyone in this particular thread cares.

Yeah, I think the only things that should be spoiler-tagged here are information on the last few (5? 10?) issues of the GN, and leaked details on the next season - not something like "Actor123 was cast as Abraham" or any vague teasing from producers or cast about what happens next, but something like "Actor 456 has revealed that he'll only appear in X episodes next season". Let's leave the witch hunt for the other thread :dunno:

Speaking of casting

The show is reportedly casting a new regular character named Roy Stark, who is described as "a former army medic who is deeply haunted by his past -- pre- and post-zombie apocalypse... [and] as a result, he's a bit of a loner, although he maintains a charming/self-deprecating/confident public face.

HIs family has a long history of fighting zombies somewhere up North.

Speaking of casting

HIs family has a long history of fighting zombies somewhere up North.

The show could do with a medic especially as their vet can only operate sitting down. The show seems to have a surplus of loners already to be honest,

There is speculation that the Stark name may be a fake and the character could be Abraham, who was not a medic, but was in the military. I guess they could fit him and Tyrese in at the same time, because I can't imagine the TV Ty becoming anyones right hand man with what we have seen of him so far.

because I can't imagine the TV Ty becoming anyones right hand man with what we have seen of him so far.

Why not? Now that the Ricktatorship is over, I can see Tyreese becoming Prime Minister of the Prison, especially because Rick will probably be too busy keeping Carl from becoming a sociopath to deal with everyone else.

Why not? Now that the Ricktatorship is over, I can see Tyreese becoming Prime Minister of the Prison, especially because Rick will probably be too busy keeping Carl from becoming a sociopath to deal with everyone else.

I am sorry but Carl is the only one on this show that acts like a person would in these situations. If you dont think that guy was being shifty putting his gun down you need to watch more tv haha. EXAMPLE: Watch this video starting around 3:45 mark or all of it since it is an awesome action scene. BOARDWALK EMPIRE SPOILERS IN CLIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbwA57IxhQY

He hasn't seemed like someone who would be interested in leading. I don't blame the actor, I love the Wire, I don't think they had any plan for him whatsoever. He could have shown up just in the last episode and nothing would have changed really.

I am sorry but Carl is the only one on this show that acts like a person would in these situations. If you dont think that guy was being shifty putting his gun down you need to watch more tv haha. EXAMPLE: Watch this video starting around 3:45 mark or all of it since it is an awesome action scene. BOARDWALK EMPIRE SPOILERS IN CLIP

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sbwA57IxhQY

I didn't watch the video because I'm planning on watching that show some day. :cool4: I agree that trusting that boy was hardly wise, but the thing remains that Carl is a 13,14-year-old kid who takes it upon himself to decide who should live or die so that his people can be safe. Sure, it's zombie apocalypse, but even by those standards I don't think it should be considered normal for a kid that young to feel nothing when he kills a living person - and considering how he acts in the comics, in general... And anyway, I think it was Kirkman who recently said that watching Carl's descent into darkness or whatever will be a big part of season four.

He hasn't seemed like someone who would be interested in leading. I don't blame the actor, I love the Wire, I don't think they had any plan for him whatsoever. He could have shown up just in the last episode and nothing would have changed really.

Yeah, it feels like they only brought Tyreese to the show to calm down the GN fans, or maybe Mazzara had more in mind for him to do but they didn't allow him to follow that path? Who knows. Still, he does act like an alpha male on the show; I mean, after they go to Woodbury, he keeps acting like the leader of his group, deciding even that they should stick together when it was clear Allen and his son would rather just become Woodburians.

Carl isn't normal for a kid his age by any means. All I am saying is that Carl can still maintain not being a total sociopath and make decisions like the one in the finale while still not being a danger to his group. Book Carl is pretty much on par with TV Carl now. Carl claims in the GN that he would have killed Jesus if he didn't trust him while alone with him had the chance but saw he wasn't a D-bag. I would even argue he hasn't totally lost it even at the point of going after Negan's people, and I think they can walk that line on the show as well.

Yeah, before the finale aired I was really expecting the show runners to keep the Governor on until S4. However, I thought he'd still be running Woodbury. I'm not sure how he'll play in to next season. One theory I have (and I may have mentioned it in this thread already), is that they might combine the Governor w/ the character Neggan and show Governeggan roaming around, extorting and terrorizing other settlements. Thus turning old Woodbury in to more of a den of thieves/Thunderdome type place.

Also, and this is pure speculation, I'm hoping the Andrea/Dale (May/December) relationship we got in the comics (which was one of my favorite of the series) will kind of shift over to Herschel and one of the Woodbury transplants next season. Maybe even Tyrese's sister, since she's such a great marksman like comic book Andrea was. Just a bit of wishful thinking.

I have to admit that I wasn't able to keep up with the entirety of all of the graphic novels v. show threads, so I apologize if this information was included somewhere that I simply didn't see, but can someone tell me what happens generally, in the novels from here?

I realize they will probably stray (and have strayed) from the GN, and everyone has said how utterly bleak they really are, but a general plotline would be kind of awesome, just for me to know and watch how they DO change it without having to read them. God knows I love to read, but I really don't know if i could handle something THAT bleak. I was seriously scarred by The Road by McCarthy, for example.

The Walking Dead makes The Road look like My Little Pony when viewed after consuming two gallons of Coke :)

I'd take a look at the Wikipedia article for the comics. It has a fairly concise plot summary of the comics as a whole.

The Walking Dead makes The Road look like My Little Pony when viewed after consuming two gallons of Coke :)

I disagree; The Road made me start thinking of the easiest ways to kill myself should that kind of apocalypse happen, whereas all TWD got was to have me check every corner of the house every once in a while to make sure I wouldn't run into a zombie. :cool4:

Archived