The Grim Company, by Luke Scull. Just like Abercrombie, but with actual magic.

Spockydog

I've been mulling over this series. Seems intriguing, but will I continually draw parallels with Abercrombie or Erikson as I'm reading?

The first book is very Abercrombie-like.  I thought the author made strong strides to differentiate his style by the second book.

Do you have any recommendations of other books that are similar to Grim Company in the sense that in grim company everything is so bleak, there is no easy way to save the world, even good people do bad things. Grimdark right?

A Crown for Cold Silver by Alex Marshall.  The Bel Dame trilogy by Kamen Hurley (a bit more sci-fi but has a fantasy feel).  The Heresy Within by Rob J Hayes (not my favorite but seems pretty popular).   The Fifth Season by NK Jemisen (only the first book is published though).

First time I read the name "Kayne" I thought it was "Kanye" and I spit out my drink.

If you've read Abercrombie (or to a lesser extent Mark Lawrence) you'll notice a lot of parallels. A bit like how there are a lot of books that are similar to LOTR and WOT. Book 2 distinguishes the author's style and characters a lot more strongly though. His world building is actually stonger/more interesting than the other two IMO.

Wait what? I read it always as Kanye lol wtf my mind never noticed it is Kayne lol. Well how is it supposed to be pronounced anyways?

quote went awry in my last post but i did suffer from "brodar Kanye" for the first book (thinking of Brodar as some weird version of Brother). Now just imagine all his scenes with this playing :Phttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsO6ZnUZI0g

"Na-na-na that that don't kill me
Can only make me stronger"

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler]She comes back from the Seeding festival and Amberyl is off with the White Lady. The scene is a short one. Reaches between her legs. Shocked how wet she is. Then a crash outside her room and the innkeeper's wife is missing. That's it... Entire scene felt pointless.[/spoiler]

Well, it makes more sense once you learn that there's poison in the water and magic at work that affects the minds of people in the city.  It's specifically geared to take away inhibitions and get the people to breed, so she can pluck the babies out of the mothers and make her handmaidens.  In that context, the scene made perfect sense to me.  Shrug. 

Also, I think it helped to read the books back to back (but now I have to wait 11 months for Book 3 apparently).  The second book cranks up the tension nicely, and it probably would have been excruciating to read if not for the Kayne flashbacks.  I saw some people didn't like them but they really helped break up the creeping tightening dread from almost every other plotline in the book.  Also, the way the various plot threads are starting to converge is pretty brilliant.  Kudos to Mr. Scull for pulling off a great structure to hang a novel on. 

• 5 months later...

I'm finally getting down to reading this one, and there is a lot to like about it so far. It starts out with a bit of an info dump in places, but the author is doing a pretty good job at establishing characters. I am intrigued enough to keep going to see where this leads. All in all, pretty solid work.

• 4 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I'm about 3/4 through The Grim Company, I like the story and such it's just something about the prose or pacing that throws me off a bit. Does it seem to get better in the sequel, or is this just his style of writing?

I feel like the prose improved.  Story was a bit disjointed at times, but an enjoyable read overall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone reading Book 3 yet?  I'm trying not to binge the thing in one sitting.  It's really fun seeing this flowering of plot threads burst outward and start to curl back inward.  I think I mentioned back when we finished Book 2 that Scull had a gift for structure.  I only hope that a couple of the things he's telegraphed a bit too well end up being delivered with a twist.  So far so good though. 

3 hours ago, Spaßvogel said:

Anyone reading Book 3 yet?  I'm trying not to binge the thing in one sitting.  It's really fun seeing this flowering of plot threads burst outward and start to curl back inward.  I think I mentioned back when we finished Book 2 that Scull had a gift for structure.  I only hope that a couple of the things he's telegraphed a bit too well end up being delivered with a twist.  So far so good though. 

I'm waiting for a discount on the ebook. The first two books had great deals shortly after release so I've been trained to be a bit miserly with this series. The second book seemed to be bit polarising with people liking/disliking aspects/characters.

I read the third a couple of weeks back. It's good, nice end to the series, but it feels like it could have done with at least one more book to really cover the stuff that gets covered, and also the author seems unwilling to take certain plot turns that seem natural from certain situations that, say, an Abercrombie or Martin or Lawrence would take. 

16 hours ago, akh said:

I actually didn't enjoy the third one all too much unfortunately. 

But I suppose there's room for more books there now :)

Scull mentioned on his blog that he made some choices eg regarding the Fade that he felt some may not be happy with.

I still need to read the third book but part of me was hoping this would be a done in one trilogy. Felt more like a warm up fantasy world and think Scull may benefit from starting fresh now he's got a few books out. I'll wait and see. Some authors it works to stay in the same world (abercrombie), others it works to switch (Tchaikovsky although he did do a 10 parter first). I think Mark Lawrence maybe should have changed setting with his second trilogy (or at least not have it running in the same time frame) but the good news is that his next series is in a new world.

Archived