Jaime *cannot* be the valonqar

Moon-Pale Maiden

I'm not sure if anyone has made another post about this, if you have, I apologize. I did search and didn't find anything specific, so I'm going to go ahead.

This seems really simple, maybe too simple, but I can't get past it at the moment.

Jaime cannot be the valonqar because he only has one hand. The golden hand cannot choke anyone because 1. its shaped half-closed for holding wine goblets, and 2. it can't produce pressure.

The prophecy clearly states that the valonqar will wraps his hands (plural) around her pale throat. Unless Jaime is regrowing a hand anytime soon, it's not going to happen.

So that's my take. What do you think? Too obvious?

I thought it might be the same chain that Tyrion uses to strangle Shae, a necklace of golden hands.

If he applies enough pressure with his golden hand he shouldnt have too much of an issue strangling her that way either.

I agree its poetic, and I also thought of Jaime even way before I even discovered these threads.

But that doesnt mean its set in gold. OP has it right to question this theory, because we don't know anything for sure until it is written (even R+L=J).

"Little Brother" could be Loras or Garlan Tyrell.

Could be the Hound, as previously mentioned.

It would also be very poetic if it was Rickon (or somehow Bran), or hilariously somehow, Arya (I'm not a boy!)

I want to say "keep an open mind", but I also want to say, "dont smoke crack and make theories"... so, I'll say both

• 2 weeks later...

Jaime cannot be the valonqar because he only has one hand. The golden hand cannot choke anyone because 1. its shaped half-closed for holding wine goblets, and 2. it can't produce pressure.

Too obvious?

not too obvious, I thought about the same thing, so I made a research and found this thread... I agree with you!

I read in another similar thread that Valonquar (=little brother) could possibly mean both younger and smaller brother... so, if there'll be a Valonquar (I don't really believe in prophecies fulfilment in ASOIAF), it'll be Tyrion IMO

How can an immovable gold hand effectively choke an adult woman? Not that I am an expert or anything but I would think you would need two hands (unless you are strong like the Clegane brothers) to choke an adult woman fighting for her life.

• 10 months later...

he could easily choke her with one hand... especially a full grown man with a muscular build which Jamie has, he could have used the gold hand to stop her screaming besides he could always use magic to get his old hand back, if it is his greatest 'desire' mabye he does a deal with the red priestess... which will evidently go wrong, as always.

has anyone thought that mabye cersei might have wanted to die?? (which could be the biggest plot twist of the series) like an assisted suicide? all her kids might have been killed at that point and she just lost the will to live and told Jamie to kill her and then he would end his life as well, immediately afterwards, so they could all be together...

The mechanics of the golden hand aside, In my gut, I don't think Jaime will kill Cersei. The opposite of love is not hatred, but indifference. We've seen this when Jaime ignores his sister's impassioned plea for help while imprisoned I believe the worst way Jaime could hurt Cersei is to ignore her, abandon her, or fall in love with another. If he strangles her out of passion and hatred, she still wins.. it means she still has a strong hold on him. To put it another way, he's just "not that into her" anymore.

But I also agree with what other posters have said about strangulation being personal and intimate, so whoever the valonqar is, it will be no stranger, and I think it will be a man. Women don't usually strangle other women regardless of the whole "valyrian is genderless" argument. It feels like it will be a man whom she's had intimate relations with - how about the youngest kettleblack that she betrayed?

I can't see any Kettleblack being smart enough, or important enough to Cersei, to figure in such an intimate portrayal of her death. They can't truly betray her because they never meant anything to her.

I used to want it to be Jamie, but I never considered what that would mean for him. It would be better for him if he just wasn't into her anymore.

And, btw, I think Jamie would be capable of strangling her using his two hands. Or his forearm and his left hand. It's also possible that the prophecy won't be Cersei's end. Often it's a person's belief in a prophecy that creates their end. You know, power is where you believe it to be.

Sure, he could use his golden thumb to put pressure on her windpipe, but then it's not really "wrapping his hands around [her] pale white throat"... It's sort of a stretch for me considering how literal the prophecy seems to be.

Remember we are dealing with prophecy here. Nothing can be taken too literally. If the volanqar is Jaime it could simply mean that he some way damns her by confessing to their incest and she is suffocated, possibly by hanging.

On the more literal side volanqar means younger sibling. According to Maester Aemon there is no gender in the high vylarian language so there are many many possible ways for this prophesy to come true. And there lies the treachery of prophecies.

My theory about Jaime as the Valonqar is the phrase 'pale white throat' which means 'The Neck'. I don't think that Jaime will physically kill Cersei, but he is in the Riverlands and close to The Neck. It may be that he takes a stand against the Crown either with the BWB or Lannister troops.

He shook his head, a dazed look on his face. When he pressed his hand to his thigh, blood squirted through his fingers. It was running down his leg, into his boot. He doesn’t look so comely now, she thought. He just looks white and frightened.

One of the things Cersei holds dear is her beauty, which started to leave her already. Raff looked pale and white from excessive blood loss. Varamyr was also in a similar condition after his stabbing.

I think Cersei will be stabbed by Arya fatally and she will endure a few days, dying from it and turning white. The pale throat refers to this. And Jaime will kill her partially from hatred and partially from mercy.

I had a great uncle who lost his hand in WWII, and even when he was really old, the other hand was freaking strong. And Jamie works out with his hand a lot. If he had decent leverage, he could probably choke her with just the one. Also, when it comes to prophesies, I don't think they should be taken too literally.

Archived