why all the littlefinger hate?

thegreatwhitebear

We know that when Jeyne is taken from Sansa's quarters - where she is freaking out because she is (correctly) panic stricken over her father - she is given over to LF's "care."

We know that Cersei says that the fake Arya was produced by LF.

We know that when Jeyne is produced as Arya that she has been "trained" how to please a man, and that her back is covered in lash scars.

LF placed her in one of his brothels and had her beaten into prostitution. I (and many others) think that is a grotesquely evil act.

Fun character to read about though. Personally charming, extremely intelligent and (like you said) he keeps the plot moving.

I can go through these one by one, but I think it's just easier to counter with this. The options with regards to Jeyne were either she was killed or she was led into prostitution. Meanwhile, I still see nothing to suggest that the Great One was in on the RW, which discounts also the notion that he took Jeyne with Bolton plans later on down the road (not suggesting you said that).

Littlefinger is great. He's cunning and he's the only character who thinks with "modern/early capitalist" mind.

I could see him winning the game if he had the chance to work his way up for a long time. If he got to be a real Lord and gather resources/alliances for a long time. But he has no chance when war/dragons/white walkers etc. are coming so soon. He's not a winter man.

But I still hope in the end he will be the founder of a powerful house. After that I don't care if he suffers a terrible death or whatever people want him to suffer.

I can go through these one by one, but I think it's just easier to counter with this. The options with regards to Jeyne were either she was killed or she was led into prostitution.

Who was it, exactly, who forced Littlefinger into choosing between killing Jeyne and forcing her into prostitution?

He is surrounded by people who wouldn't think twice before hurting him. He has no allies, there won't be any repercussions of his death. To be alive, he needs to keep playing the game. He has to have leverage over people so they don't end up killing him. About Ned, he brought it upon himself. If he hadn't gone to confront Cersei, LF wouldn't have to choose sides. The thing with Sansa, if he wouldn't have helped her, she wouldn't have lived this long. He might have his own motives, but as of now, he hasn't laid a finger on her. He has kept her honor intact and her, alive.

Bah.

Were Littlefinger an honest man, Ned would not have been betrayed, Cersei would have been arrested right at the start. Stannis would have been on the throne within days. Renly, although with a bigger army and willing to contest his brother in the field for a vacant throne, would not be willing to overthrow him once crowned, and a living Ned would have been able - as his last act before returning north - to broker a peace between them (probably by installing Renly as Hand and advising Stannis to take a back seat to him in matters of diplomacy, only overruling in egregious cases.) The Lannisters would not have stood a chance against the complete massed forces of the Baratheon / Tyrell / Tully / Stark alliance.

Bah.

Were Littlefinger an honest man, Ned would not have been betrayed, Cersei would have been arrested right at the start. Stannis would have been on the throne within days. Renly, although with a bigger army and willing to contest his brother in the field for a vacant throne, would not be willing to overthrow him once crowned, and a living Ned would have been able - as his last act before returning north - to broker a peace between them (probably by installing Renly as Hand and advising Stannis to take a back seat to him in matters of diplomacy, only overruling in egregious cases.) The Lannisters would not have stood a chance against the complete massed forces of the Baratheon / Tyrell / Tully / Stark alliance.

If Littlefinger was a honest men the would have been kicked out of the small council the moment Stannis gets placed on the throne by him and everything he has worked for years would be lost - he is not a honest man, Ned is and how is that treating him.

He claims to have paid a man "in boys". He supplies a paedophile with children.

That.

The creepy Sansa/Cat thing.

Plunging a whole country into war, without any regard for the peasants, the dead, the starving, the orphaned...

Yeah, he's a social riser, but there's some serious "ends vs means" calculations you should run on him.

He is surrounded by people who wouldn't think twice before hurting him. He has no allies, there won't be any repercussions of his death. To be alive, he needs to keep playing the game. He has to have leverage over people so they don't end up killing him. About Ned, he brought it upon himself. If he hadn't gone to confront Cersei, LF wouldn't have to choose sides. The thing with Sansa, if he wouldn't have helped her, she wouldn't have lived this long. He might have his own motives, but as of now, he hasn't laid a finger on her. He has kept her honor intact and her, alive.

If LF had not "helped" Sansa she would have been safely married off to the heir of Highgarden, which is something that she had actually come to want. Instead of getting ensnared and accused of Joff's murder, of an attempted rape by the singer, of witnessing her aunt's murder, of complicity in drugging Sweetrobin and the rest of LF plots.

If Littlefinger was a honest men the would have been kicked out of the small council the moment Stannis gets placed on the throne by him and everything he has worked for years would be lost - he is not a honest man, Ned is and how is that treating him.

If he were an honest man Stannis would have no want to boot him from the small council.

I like Sansa's chapters with littlefinger only because I love the parts where he tells her about his political plans as they are always interesting. However I think he is a disgusting person. I don't really begrudge him too much betraying Ned because half of kings landing would do that. But I am surprised how so few people here have mentioned the whole Jeyne Poole thing. For me that is his most disgusting act. Turning a frightened girl into a prostitute and sending her to the vilest man in Westeros (it could be argued that maybe he didn't know about how bad Ramsay is but since he seems to know everything and the Boltons are known psychos I think its fair to assume he did).

He doesn't care, that is why LF is deserving of "hate". He could have kept Jeyne Poole stashed in his brothel and not harmed her, not "trained" her or whipped her, with one word. It isn't like he can't afford it, but he doesn't care, she means nothing to him, Cersei gave her to him, he stashed her in his brothel and so she became a whore.

He doesn't care about anyone, not even Catelyn. All he wants to do with Sansa is recreate what he didn't get, but he is only using her as an object to fulfill his own obession, he cares nothing about her as an individual.

Personally, I think he's great. Aside from the betrayal of ned, the guy is pretty much an amazing individual in the sense that, yes he started out with basically nothing but a title and now is one of the most powerful men in the 7 kingdoms. The guy is extremely politically savy and Extremely intelligent. He's basically one hellova chess player who doesn't hold to any one piece in particular so loosing a piece either through sacrifice or unintentional doesn't really hamper him. he uses everything in conjunction in order to accomplish his objectives. Basically he's kinda like the American dream rising from nothing to sitting at the top, in a scarface kinda way without the cocaine addiction.

If you don't mind the fact that he's a total malovelent narcissist who is willing to orchestrate the slaughter of countless thousands and violate umpteen levels of trust, loyalty and social compact to advance his sexual desires, then sure, I say he's swell.

Archived