Orphan Black - BBCA

~ZombieWife~

I'm still attempting to come to terms with Kira's father being that guy, that musician! He's always a musician, except I guess in got?

I knew he was cast for this season's OB, but I did not expect 1) Kira's father; 2) musician. (I actually like the actor, appreciated how his character developed in Treme, and really liked him in Nashville.)

I sincerely hope all will get better for Allison. She's a brilliant part of the cast of clones' characters. Among other things she's provided an entirely plausible comic dimension to the series. Another is the brilliance of how the writers have employed that. Putting her into a community playhouse musical -- it's deep meta-commentary on the series itself, on what it is to be an actor, which Tatiana Maslany is showing us all the dimensions of, playing so many different characters.

As for the marital rape -- get rid of this lazy cliche entertainment plotting/writing/thinking we're o so hip and realist rape writing! Writers, give yourself a challenge: show a truly loving, growing, nurturing relationship, in which all the people are loyal and true -- and interesting. It would be so much more dimensional that Helen's 'handler' here actually cared for her -- and maybe she cared for him. Writer failure of imagination!

Were the clones' fingerprints identical? I thought that would be one of the few ways to easily distinguish them, as those are completely unique, arising from a combination of genetic and environmental influence.

Their prints are not identical, but like the smart clone told Sarah (I have no idea how to spell her name, not even going to try) before they ran them, the prints are close enough that both would pull up when they ran them. While identical twins prints aren't identical, they are usually close enough to be flag by a computer program. Depending on how much of a the print is present, the computer pulls up possible matches. A partial print could bring up dozens of possible matches, then a tech has to make judgement on which are legit.

As for the ep, I was disappointed for much of it. I thought finding out he was the Dad came out way to fast, the whole everybody finding just what they were looking for, Allison getting drunk and falling off the stage, and Sarah going right back to bed w/ Daddy all way too easy. I expect better writing then that.

The last 10 minutes are so were really good, except that the Dad after Doral/ cylon #5 after killed the sheriff, then put Sarah in the car, and was standing out in the open, didn't shot him. He had already killed, and was taken Sarah, clean shot, take it.

I think the Pastor/family leader is in for more then he thinks w/ Elena.

As for Allison acting rash? IIRC she smoked pot, and sleep w/ her best friends husband, on the spur of the moment because the friend cock blocked her from coaching ice skating.

The last 10 minutes are so were really good, except that the Dad after Doral/ cylon #5 after killed the sheriff, then put Sarah in the car, and was standing out in the open, didn't shot him. He had already killed, and was taken Sarah, clean shot, take it.

I'm glad they didn't have him take the shot. It would have made me highly suspicious of him and his story if he did more than swing the gun around and fire a warning shot.

My immediate thought when Cal was introduced was that here, finally, was Sarah's yet-unknown monitor. I guess that's still possible, but it would be a bit too ridiculous for me after everything that happened.

He'd have to be the worst monitor in the history of monitoring, as he's only spent a total of one month with her during her whole life.

He'd have to be the worst monitor in the history of monitoring, as he's only spent a total of one month with her during her whole life.

Obviously. My thinking was more along the line that he was the designated monitor back in the day - that DYAD got to him as soon as he became involved with Sarah - but then she unexpectedly ran off on him and went off the grid. In theory it could still be possible, and he could contact DYAD again, but after seeing the entire episode, I don't believe that at all. Also, I feel the showrunners are smart enough to know that even in a mystery series, sometimes people are just people.

Obviously. My thinking was more along the line that he was the designated monitor back in the day - that DYAD got to him as soon as he became involved with Sarah - but then she unexpectedly ran off on him and went off the grid. In theory it could still be possible, and he could contact DYAD again, but after seeing the entire episode, I don't believe that at all. Also, I feel the showrunners are smart enough to know that even in a mystery series, sometimes people are just people.

I did love how Allison immediately jumped to "she's a new monitor!!" after the cop approached her in the parking lot.

No comments on the latest episode? It was pretty sick. A lot of complications to take in, but this stuff has been pretty well set up way from the beginning. I'm not sure I follow the story of Rachel's parents, though. They died in that lab explosion, right? And they had to do with the creation of Sarah and Helena, I suppose, but how did Rachel, a random clone, end up as their adopted child?

Mrs. S., you dog.

Okay, admittedly I was glad to see Helena to the rescue.

But I still thought (and maybe still think) that Helena saying "they took something from me" was going to be followed up with "so now I'll have to take yours" followed by impromptu bathroom surgery.

I'd guess if the Duncans are the first scientists to work on the project then perhaps Rachel is the eldest LEDA experiment. Perhaps the project was expanded after her success, requiring multiple clones being placed with many surrogates.

Loved Art's reaction of suddenly seeing Helena. Perhaps we'll flashback to see he caught up with her and she forced him to give her a ride to Mrs. S's house?

The final few minutes was bonkers. Maslany absolutely sells the terror.

She sells everything, but its the little things they add in to it that really make it special. Geek girl stands a little taller, the dead clone (Jennifer?) early pictures video she has puffy checks, but as I said last season the best was when one clone is pretending to be another, yet you still see the first one.

I am more confused about that picture now, then before. Was Mrs. S in it? Why did Sarah freak out when she first saw it?

As for Rachel's part, IIRC say that after Sarah and Helena were take away from them, that they had Rachel made. It is funny how Sarah caught on real quick that Rachel is just as much a lab rat as the rest of them. I hope they use Roger R. Cross for more then Mrs. S's boy toy, he is really good actor who seldom gets to show how good he really is, Sunset Blvd. anybody?

I think the big question is can Sarah help Helena? Trust her? get over being freaked out by her. Should be fun, at least.

This show is really good at creating tension, which was pretty fortunate for this episode, because it was one of the first ones where not much of importance happened. That said, I really like that Helena's back in the cast, and how twisted was it that she and Sarah started bonding on each their side of a sniper rifle?

Rachel seems really messed up. She'll never become likable, but she was fun to watch this time around. Also interesting that Leekie is becoming a confidant of sorts.

That said, the preview for next week's ep looked spectacular. Sarah and Helena on a road trip and in a bar fight? And the return of Vic? Sign me up.

This show is really good at creating tension, which was pretty fortunate for this episode, because it was one of the first ones where not much of importance happened. That said, I really like that Helena's back in the cast, and how twisted was it that she and Sarah started bonding on each their side of a sniper rifle?

Rachel seems really messed up. She'll never become likable, but she was fun to watch this time around. Also interesting that Leekie is becoming a confidant of sorts.

That said, the preview for next week's ep looked spectacular. Sarah and Helena on a road trip and in a bar fight? And the return of Vic? Sign me up.

I dunno, there may not have been a ton of action, per se, but we got a lot of information this week, particularly on the Dyad backstory. I certainly thought it was a pretty important episode for the show. I like that we're seeing the internal power-structure at the Institute a bit more - the competing aims of Leekie and Rachel make for interesting TV.

ST

cool how they are making Leekie more three dimensional

Paul is knocking all the clones off his bang list

Yeah, can't wait to see how he gets along with Helena.

Does anyone know about OB's ratings? Rising? Falling? Hinting at more renewals?

cool how they are making Leekie more three dimensional

Paul is knocking all the clones off his bang list

I agree, it's disappointing if antagonists are just mustache-twirling villains. And the actor is very good at playing easy-to-dislike, yet-also-kind-of-pitiably-sympathetic roles.

Sorry to ask, but I just bought the first of the orphan trilogy, and don't want to click on the links in case of spoilers, so just generally : is this a TV series about them? Like, the ones beginning with Orphan Number Nine?

Archived