Orphan Black - BBCA

~ZombieWife~

I finally found time for TV and watched the last two episodes yesterday evening.

I'm not sure about the Loki treatment Gracie received. I mean, it's obvious that the Proletheans are somewhat out there since they use Helena the way they do, but I don't know about abusing Grace. Have I missed any previous hints that Papa is abusive towards Grace? It just seemed over the top and out of nowhere. :dunno:

On a more positive note: Yay! It appears that Paul and Sarah's dalliance is permanently over. I've never could stand Paul, his facial expresions just irk me and make me want to grab his shoulders and trash him against the wall. I kept hoping that Helena will get him out of way for some time, but alas.

Speaking of Sarah's (ex)boyfriends, I wonder how after having been with Cal, she could ever get together with Vic. That's what I call lowering one's standards.

I agree and hope that Paul is disconnected from Sarah at this point. Trying to force some reconciliation between them would be lame at this point. But the writers so far have had excellent sense of the audience's expectations, so I trust them on this one too.

cool how they are making Leekie more three dimensional1

Paul is knocking all the clones off his bang list2

1. you mean more then this.......

http://www.the80sman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/max_headroom_merry_christmas_santa_claus_youre_a_lovely_guy_1986__2_the80sman.jpg

2. Well I guess Alison is next, because the other 2 that we know are going to be tricky.

Just catching up on episode 3 now... this is such a great show and I LOVE that this is a Canadian-made and produced show that is actually, well, good, and doesn't feel typically Canadian.

(That's code for lame.)

Aside from all the other superlatives, it's actually funny at times.

And Kira's dad is none other than the new-and-?improved Daario Nahaaris.

ETA: Apparently I'm Sarah according to the quiz above.

I enjoyed the episode, especially the Sara/Helena bonding and a little bit more background on the clones, even if it was the somewhat underwhelming "Leekie is evil!"

That being said, thoroughly enjoyed Helena's story to Mike from Suits about who she was. She was 'from the Ukraine' [Helena] where she was a 'cop who shot many criminals' [beth] but she gave it up to be a 'brilliant scientist' [Cosima] and in turn gave that up 'to be with her family' [Allison] but now she's with 'her sister, having adventures' [sara].

Really worried at least one of our Clone Club members doesn't last the season...

Just catching up on episode 3 now... this is such a great show and I LOVE that this is a Canadian-made and produced show that is actually, well, good, and doesn't feel typically Canadian.

(That's code for lame.)

I think Canada did a great job with Continuum as well actually.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for Lost Girl, though that show admittedly is uneven in terms of quality.

(That's code for lame.)

Yes, I thought it would be because of the BBC-A, but all it looks like productions seems Canadian. I don't know what it is, but every purely Canadian show seems to be missing something. One would think with the number of US shows filmed there or done jointly that this wouldn't be the case. I guess the smaller market ( smaller budget) that most of the better people behind the scenes, move on to US shows or Hollywood movies.

Usually it's been a question of budgets, I think, but also the writing - at least for TV, it's generally been bad, though there have been occasional bright spots. CBC lately has been doing the "quirky" thing to the exclusion of anything else (see Republic of Doyle) and in the past the private networks just produced filler schlock. There have been some good or decent formula shows (Flashpoint, Murdoch Mysteries), but nothing truly imaginative. Until now anyway.

Oh God, this was just up there. One of the very best episodes of the series so far. So much stuff, it's hard to know where to start.

- Classic Orphan Black switcheroo scenario at the rehab center. Too many great lines from Alison, Felix and Sarah to remember, but one gem that stood out to me was Sarah's dawning realization what the roleplaying was all about. "Oh, so I'm me being her being Donnie?" Nice slip-up, Sarah :laugh:

- It's amazing that Vic, who was already a one-note character in the very first episode, is still funny as hell this far in. He's so predictable, and you always know exactly what he's going to do and how, but it's still hilarious to watch.

- Awesome scenes with Rachel. She's gonna go far. Well, she's probably gonna die, but you know what I mean.

- Too bad about the character death, but at least he went out in a blaze of ... random happenstance?

- ... and he was quickly replaced by Admiral Cain herself. I don't see that adding anything to the mystery - she seems to know the same things and fill out the same role - so I assume they just wanted to off someone important to show that they could.

The only wasted time at this point seems to be the few D'Angelise scenes. I assume that she's just there to show a hint of police presence, but if it doesn't lead anywhere, it's really wasted, especially since the actress is the one piece of the entire puzzle I don't really care to watch.

ETA: Apparently I'm Sarah according to the quiz above.

I got Beth Childs!

BTW, if it weren't for Red Eyed Ghost changing his avatar after NCAAs I probably never would have gotten into this show. Season 1 was free on Amazon Prime so I just started watching and got hooked. Watched the last 5 eps of season 1 in 1 day last weekend.

Now I'm almost caught up. Just need to watch last night's ep!

Great show! Can't believe it is so under the radar. Tatiana is an AWESOME ACTOR.

ETA:

Just watched yesterday's episode...

"Oh man, I shot Aldous in the face!" --Donnie Vega

Hey, look man, I didn't mean to shoot the son of a bitch. The gun went off. I don't know why.

Was sad about the character death in the last ep, but it was inevitable and this way it adds to the craziness.

It's funny how much this show is an ode to Chaos. At the micro-level of Clone Club their lives are continuously turned around, and at the macro-level Dyad is continuously undone by Sarah.

I liked it, but nonetheless I'm a bit bothered by Donnie's reasons for letting strange men come into their house at night and probe his beloved wife. I mean, a sociological study? That's what he risked his marriage for and spied on his wife on graveyard and everywhere else? If the creators wanted Donnie to be unaware and innocent, couldn't they have come with something easier to believe? Like, idk, a 'doctor' told to Donnie that his wife suffers from some extremely rare disease which stays dormant for now and which science and medicine don't know much about, but they don't want to panic her because stress makes it worse, so could he please enable them access to Alison to give her their promising experimental medication and watch closely her behaviour if it doesn't have some dangerous side effects?

Archived