Doctor Who: Regenerated discussion

Jon AS

But I thought the last episode of the last series pretty much set up that John Hurt would be in the role, or am I being obtuse?

Hurt plays The-Doctor-who-is-not-really-The-Doctor (who "broke the promise" of the name). I don't think it's been explicitly said on screen, but it's pretty clear that he was the incarnation during the Time War and was later disowned by future regenerations (or at least by the eleventh; did the ninth and tenth ever refer to themselves as such in the series, or was that just a tacit assumption by the audience?).

That was the Valeyard. The Hurt Doctor would appear to be different, as the Valeyard is still in the Doctor's future. It's also been generally assumed that the path the Doctor was on that led to the creation of the Valeyard was averted when he regenerated (apparently prematurely) from his sixth to seventh incarnations, though of course with the Moffat who knows? The Valeyard was referenced in The Name of the Doctor, which may be foreshadowing or a red herring.

The rumours generally rule out any new episodes of Master Plan having been found. And episode 7 is the least likely to ever be recovered, because it was never filmed for overseas sale; basically the only possibility of retrieving that is if someone pointed a film camera at their TV during the original broadcast, and the common home video cameras of the time only recorded three minutes or so at a time anyway.

Master Plan is gone for good, unfortunately. The last episode they managed to recover was stuck on the Lost in Time set. I'd personally be more interested in them uncovering at least one episode of The Macra Terror or Fury From the Deep. Or maybe further episodes of The Celestial Toymaker, The Abominable Snowmen or The Web of Fear. I definitely think they're holding back, though, as an excuse to bring out purchase incentive episodes in their endless rereleases of stories people already own, as they wonder when Terror of the Zygons is coming out.

The rumours generally rule out any new episodes of Master Plan having been found. And episode 7 is the least likely to ever be recovered, because it was never filmed for overseas sale; basically the only possibility of retrieving that is if someone pointed a film camera at their TV during the original broadcast, and the common home video cameras of the time only recorded three minutes or so at a time anyway.

It's conceivably possible one of the 1960s BBC staff could have made a copy of it, then lost the copy at some point. But yes, short of someone either borrowing the TARDIS, or finding both a helpful Weeping Angel and a fan willing to take one for the team, I'd say the Master Plan is probably gone for good.

But to put things in perspective, when the BBC launched its hunt for the missing episodes in 1978, 135 were missing (60 Hartnells and 75 Troughtons), 35 years later, we've only found an additional 29 (lowering it to 44 Hartnells and 62 Troughtons). If these rumours are true, this find is more than three times bigger than the last 35 years combined. For those keeping score, the missing episodes would then be 10 Hartnells and 6 Troughtons. If you like the Second Doctor, this is all your Christmases come at once.

If the news is true, this is what would have been found:

MARCO POLO - all 7 episodes

THE REIGN OF TERROR - Episodes 4 & 5 (completing the story)

THE CRUSADE - Episodes 2 & 4 (completing the story)

THE MYTH MAKES - all 4 episodes

THE MASSACRE - all 4 episodes

THE CELESTIAL TOYMAKER - Episodes 1-3 (completing the story)

THE SAVAGES - all 4 episodes

THE SMUGGLERS - all 4 episodes

THE TENTH PLANET - Episode 4 (completing the story)

THE POWER OF THE DALEKS - all 6 episodes

THE HIGHLANDERS - all 4 episodes

THE UNDERWATER MENACE - Episodes 1 & 4 (completing the story)

THE MOONBASE - Episodes 1 & 3 (completing the story)

THE MACRA TERROR - All 4 episodes

THE FACELESS ONES - Episodes 2, 4-6 (completing the story)

THE EVIL OF THE DALEKS - Episodes 1, 3-7 (completing the story)

THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMEN - Episodes 1, 3-6 (completing the story)

THE ENEMY OF THE WORLD - Episodes 1, 2, 4-6 (completing the story)

THE WEB OF FEAR - Episodes 2-6 (completing the story)

FURY FROM THE DEEP - all 6 episodes

THE WHEEL IN SPACE - 2 episodes (unspecified)

THE SPACE PIRATES - Episodes 1, 3-6 (completing the story)

These would be the episodes that would still be missing:

MISSION TO THE UNKNOWN - the 1 episode

THE DALEKS' MASTERPLAN - Episodes 1, 3, 4, 6-9, 11-12 (same as now)

THE ICE WARRIORS - Episodes 2 & 3 (same as now)

THE WHEEL IN SPACE - 2 episodes (unspecified; 2 less than now)

THE INVASION - Episodes 1 & 4 (same as now)

He's definitely on board for Season 8, but I can't see him staying on for much after it if these reports that the show's production is descending into chaos because the scripts are late is true.

Thank you Werthead :) I really liked SMoffat's Doctor so for me those are good news even if it's only for one series

Archived