Doctor Who: Regenerated discussion

Jon AS

Haha, not a fan of Danny then? It would be a treat to see him peacock around the universe.

If Dyer had fans, he wouldnt be relegated to the straight to dvd bargain bin, and Sky One 'documentaries' about illegal fights.

Billie Piper would be weird. I know the Doctor's in love with himself, but that'sntaking it a bit literally.

Plus imagine they do another multi-doctor episode with 10 and Rose:

10: I just got a message, we've to meet my 12 incarnation over there. Alon si!"

Rose, spying 12: "oh look! It's me! We're still together!"

10, studying 12: "um..."

I read Idris Elba was being mentioned for the role, while he's a great actor I can't see that happening in a million years, as firstly he's likely too busy and secondly I don't think he would be a great fit as The Doctor.

Billie Piper would be weird.

I only know her work on Doctor Who, and that did not in any way make me believe she could pull off a character like the Doctor.

Alon si!

Sorry, this just hurts too much:

Allons-y.

"Allons" being the first person plural (present tense) of the verb "aller" (to go) and "y" being a pronoun meaning "there".

What was it you didn't like about it, apart from the blockbuster, one episode, format? I thought this was the best series of Moffat's reign because, simply, there wasn't any twisted, convoluted plotting and everything more or less made sense. Amy and Rory's story was more compelling than the last two series. Mark Gatiss defied my expectations and wrote two good episodes. The Clara mystery was introduced, then solved in a way that accounted for everything. The finale was decent, non-irritating and had a cool cliffhanger. I think there's plenty of evidence that Moffat is maybe learning from mistakes in the previous two series.

That's the thing - the blockbuster format is basically them trying to make every DW episode a movie on its own. But 45 minutes is rarely enough to tell a story of that kind, which is why nearly all episodes felt rushed, or at the very least underdeveloped - if we had two-parters, half the episodes would have gone much more smoothly. I didn't care about what happened in any of the episodes, since there wasn't time to even let us feel a thing. It worked for a few episodes, sure, like The Crimson Horror and Cold War, but in both cases that happened without taking any time to make the companion organic or necessary to the plot (which the other episodes couldn't do either, but at least they tried). I agree Gatiss' episodes were surprisingly good, I'd say they were the best ones this season, and the Clara mystery was handled well enough (though I had hoped the answer to that would have been something more along the lines of Mr. Tryp in the X-Factor comics), but that's two of the only things in its favor, along with how visually pleasing the season was. And then, of course, there's the Clara problem, the companion who was nothing beyond a mystery already solved.

I don't think they'll continue the blockbuster format. From what Moffatt was saying beforehand, that was basically a reaction to the (imo totally justified) criticism he'd previously faced of throwing too many ongoing plotlines into one pot, and essentially a chance to get some breathing room going and give some ideas time to air. I think he'll get back on with his plans now.

Clara was also I believe the first companion that got the Doctor to behave on their terms. Not going with him, but getting him to come to him time and time again. Even more so than Amy and Rory in their 'retirement'.

I'm also wondering what effect this has on next season. Surely the episodes were already written with Matt Smith in mind? Now I imagine it doesn't make a great deal of difference for most of the one-shot episodes but it's bound to make a difference for the first episode especially if Clara remains as she has to react to the change,

I suspect the BBC have known for a while that Smith was leaving and have merely orchestrated when he could go public. It gels with the rumour the next dr has been cast already.

So, what if the unmentionable thing the "not Doctor" does is actually kill the current one? I could see this fitting in with a plan around Matt's departure.

I dont think the Hurt Doctor has anything to do with the death of 11. The Hurt Doctor is dealt with in the Anniversary special which would have been planned when season 7 was plotted out, whereas 11 will die in the christmas special.

I dont see any problems with season 8. The writing wouldnt have started until Smith's contract was clarified. Thry'll have known he was leaving before the announcement; there were rumours of it months ago.

If Dyer had fans, he wouldnt be relegated to the straight to dvd bargain bin, and Sky One 'documentaries' about illegal fights.

Deadliest Men 1 & 2 were both classics of the genre. His famous

qualifies him for all the space stuff in Doctor Who I feel.

I dont think the Hurt Doctor has anything to do with the death of 11. The Hurt Doctor is dealt with in the Anniversary special which would have been planned when season 7 was plotted out, whereas 11 will die in the christmas special.

I dont see any problems with season 8. The writing wouldnt have started until Smith's contract was clarified. Thry'll have known he was leaving before the announcement; there were rumours of it months ago.

Pretty much what I was speculating. It's not like Matt Smith actually quit on Saturday, he probably did so several months ago before they even had season 8 mapped out.

There are rumors that the Hurt Doctor may stay beyond the 50th, probably showing up only occasionally. But I agree it's unlikely they'll bring him back in the Christmas special; that has to be about Christmas and Eleven, mostly.

There are rumors that the Hurt Doctor may stay beyond the 50th, probably showing up only occasionally. But I agree it's unlikely they'll bring him back in the Christmas special; that has to be about Christmas and Eleven, mostly.

Not very festive if he dies in a xmas special. Maybe it should be the Easter special :)

Unless he dies in the special and we don't see his regeneration until the xmas special?

Not very festive if he dies in a xmas special. Maybe it should be the Easter special :)

Tennant's Doctor died in the festive specials, although if I remember correctly I think his actual death/regeneration was in the New Year episode rather than the one on Christmas Day itself.

Regeneration at the christmas episode could be fun. A near hour of Romana style trying out bodies all the while having a christmas adventure.

The Radio Times did a poll for who should play the Doctor and came up with Colin Morgan (Merlin from, er, Merlin). I could see that, but I think he might be too similar to Smith in general temperament (as well as being equally young when he got the role). He's also been in Who before, but that's never been a problem before (as Colin Baker, Freema Agyeman and Karen Gillan can attest).

Colin Morgan??? If you're going with Merlin cast, Anthony Stewart Head would be a much better fit for the role. Of course it's a bit late to pick John Hurt for the next Doctor now 8)

Pretty much what I was speculating. It's not like Matt Smith actually quit on Saturday, he probably did so several months ago before they even had season 8 mapped out.

Or after agreeing to be in next years, saw what they were thinking and thought better of it. It isn't like we didn't know he was going to leave, we just got the idea that he at least start next season. I had thought when and how they said he was coming back next year that he wouldn't stay all of it.

Or after agreeing to be in next years, saw what they were thinking and thought better of it. It isn't like we didn't know he was going to leave, we just got the idea that he at least start next season. I had thought when and how they said he was coming back next year that he wouldn't stay all of it.

That could also make sense. I could see them pitching a rough idea to him. You think it would make sense to know beforehand as the last few episodes would have had a lot more weight to them if they/we had known he was leaving so the stakes would have been higher.

Why would that even be considered?

One thing rewatching has done for me is making me find Rose more annoying (it seems to have had the opposite effect with Donna, strangely, though in either case I didn't watch all episodes).

Agreed. I found her unwatchable for most of Series 2, really. She worked well with Eccelstone, though, I feel.

Sad Smith is leaving. Series 5 is my favourite Doctor Who series and I enjoyed 6 and 7 too, so I'm sad he's going. I thought his Doctor was really really good. Alas. Interested in who we'll get next. Think it'll be someone physically quite different to Smith, and someone older, too.

Archived